Sponsored by:

A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
In one of the Porsche reveal events, I think it was the LA Auto Show, the Porsche announcer mentioned that the addition of the LWBs meant a weight reduction of 46lbs. That is pretty significant. Is that as compared to the standard 4-ways with back seats? Pete, can you confirm?
I'm interested in knowing this as well.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Pete - do the Ts that you're driving on have Rear Axel Steering? What are you thoughts on this and are you able to compare one with and one without it?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Apex
In one of the Porsche Press Conferences at the LA Auto Show, the Porsche announcer mentioned that the addition of the LWBs meant a further weight reduction of 45lbs. That is pretty significant. I'm assuming this is as compared to the standard 4-ways plus back seats? Does that make the weight of the car 3,097lbs with the LWBs and MT?
Interested to see what Pete comes back with, but a couple notes per my previous conversations: First make sure you’re asking the right question. The US gets “Full Buckets Seats” while Europe gets “Light Weight Bucket Seats”, the difference being that we have height adjustment due to DOT regulations. They are heavier than LWB seats, and per my notes on the 981 Spyder save 24 lbs for the pair.

Also from my notes is that the weight Porsche quotes is the minimum achievable with all the right option boxes ticked. So you’ll only hit their headline number on the GT3 with the smaller fuel tank, PCCBs, radio delete, etc. However I’d be interested to see if they confirm or contradict that info. Either way they must be at least slightly off as they quote the same weights worldwide, ignoring differences like DOT regs that do impact the final numbers.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Stout - nice write - up. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb

Interested to see what Pete comes back with, but a couple notes per my previous conversations: First make sure you’re asking the right question. The US gets “Full Buckets Seats” while Europe gets “Light Weight Bucket Seats”, the difference being that we have height adjustment due to DOT regulations. They are heavier than LWB seats, and per my notes on the 981 Spyder save 24 lbs for the pair.

Also from my notes is that the weight Porsche quotes is the minimum achievable with all the right option boxes ticked. So you’ll only hit their headline number on the GT3 with the smaller fuel tank, PCCBs, radio delete, etc. However I’d be interested to see if they confirm or contradict that info. Either way they must be at least slightly off as they quote the same weights worldwide, ignoring differences like DOT regs that do impact the final numbers.
Good point - I didn't realize there was two different styles. So you're saying the FBS save 24 lbs (12 lbs each) and the LWB save some amount greater than that (but only in Europe)? I'm also interested in know how they calculate quoted weights.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:18 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Thanks, and doing my best. These roads are no joke, and the temps aren't either!

I'd say never say never. By that, I'm coming from a few fronts. We all know that the "fuel efficiency" of the turbo engine is a sham on anything other than a test cycle or long freeway trips—but the displacement-based tax issue in China is very real, and we have to recognize that market as a near-equal to North America...at higher profit margins. Also, people within Porsche seem to be very enthused about the 3.0tt—and many of those same people simply smile awkwardly when the noises of the 718 are mentioned.

So why would I say never say never? Well, look at history. We thought powerful engines were dead decades ago, only to see a second golden age of the sports car—and what a golden age it has been so far. And a long one. Then we thought (and were told) the manual gearbox was dead. Executives gleefully declared it. Thankfully, those who like to shift for themselves were able to drown them out. So...what goes around comes around. I think the GT4 and Spyder and GT3 lines will satisfy the urge for now, but I wouldn't write the NA engine off just yet. If anything, I suspect electric cars threaten it more than turbocharged ones do...
Thanks for your honest opinions, insight, and detailed review. It was fun to read and I felt as if I was the one behind the wheel. The GT3T lust is real....
Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 AM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

Interesting! Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 AM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Another question that perhaps has been answered somewhere else on this forum, but I can't seem to find. Anyone know if the PCCBs are lighter than the standard black brakes? I would imagine the carbon ceramic rotors are lighter, but the black calipers and rotors are puny as compared to the PCCB setup.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice write up, can't wait for your review on long road trip.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:00 AM
GT3T
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Was sent this link to the press information for the GT3T and 911T Monte Carlo event. Thought I’d share as there is a break down on the specs of both cars and a discussion of the historical racing with the lightweights.

https://presskit.porsche.de/specials...rip/index.html
Old 12-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,392 Likes on 642 Posts

Thanks for the Press Kit link above, it shows all of the routes in google maps.
Pete, you are driving some awesome roads. I have been on about half of them.
Enjoy the ride, but too bad it is winter there.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Thanks Pete. Great stuff as usual.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 AM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
"no way I'd make the jump from a Carrera to this if it took $XX,XXX to do so."
Well, that pretty much directly answers my question. But I still want one.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I love the new 911T... thanks for the feedback, @stout

I'm also curious if the 911T you drove had the rear axle steering option.....

If I spec'd one, it would be basic as well... minimal options and after the stock brakes go out I'd upgrade the pads or if need be then I'd do Girodiscs or a BBK.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
Well, that pretty much directly answers my question. But I still want one.
Same here. Main reason to get one over base is RAS, but then it sounds like it also needs PCCB. All of a sudden it's a 120k car.
If spec a fairly nice but basic GTS at 140, can get a discount most likely to within 10k of T, and have extra hp, more choices/options, and bigger brakes which alleviates need for PCCB. Struggling with decision

Quick Reply: A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring