Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m curious how noisy was the T relative to a normal Carrera? A big difference or more of a measured difference?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:26 PM
UVXY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review and insight on the T, thank you!

I think I would still personally get the T (which I have ordered -- yes, biased) because of the finer details. They are essentially the same car (C2 and T) but things like lighter glass for more engine sound into the cabin and rear wheel steering are really appreciated by guys who have that attention to detail.

Excited to check out this distortion you mention around the glass + also sweet that we can see the spoiler in the rear view mirror now

Thanks again for the write up!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Thanks for the great review. I was surprised about the brakes not being upgradable (assuming lots of people like me don't want PCCBs, $$$ aside).
What I'm waiting to hear is what the 718 Spyder is going to have powering it - did you have a chance to talk with the housekeeper at the hotel for the latest from the engineering design team?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

https://www.topgear.com/videos/super...911-gt3-manual
Old 12-14-2017, 05:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Wonderful review, thanks! If you were presented with the C2 and the T at the time of your purchase, would you still get the C2 or would you splurge the extra $ for the T?
I think I'd go T—though I'm not sure I am the right guy to ask as my spec works out to $120k on the Carrera while splurging on PCCB and some visual stuff (PTS and Natural Leather) and $118k for the T while not splurging on anything except PCCB.

If PTS is off the table, I'd go T no question. The car isn't a "blow you away by how much better/sharper/keener" car, but as UVXY rightly states, there are a lot of cool details. The lightweight glass, the Sport-Tex without full leather (and I like the standard dash in the 991, and kind of regret not getting a basic black interior in my Carrera), the short-shifter, the Sport PASM with attendant aero tweaks, etc. Just about everything on the car is gravy—but good gravy. Still not as sure about the forced gray wheels and mirrors. On that note, I meant to mention that every press trip has a sort of winner in terms of color combo, and between the Guards Red, Racing Yellow, White, and Miami Blue cars on hand....the White car looks the coolest with the gray exterior accents. FWIW, and YMMV of course!

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I’m curious how noisy was the T relative to a normal Carrera? A big difference or more of a measured difference?
Sound stuff, like ride quality, is pretty subjective and personal, but I'll try it this way:

-If the GT3 is a 9 for aural volume, a Carrera is a 6 and a T is a 7.

-If the GT3 is a 9 for aural excitement, a Carrera is a 6 and a T is a 6.

This is working from memory, to take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by stout; 12-14-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

So if I'm interpreting you correctly, you wouldn't get bucket seats or the Leather T-interior on the T?

I'm a little surprised/not surprised by your "excitement" rating of the T. On the one hand, it does have the same engine as the C2, so one can't expect it to be really much faster, etc. On the other hand, you do kind of expect it to be a little bit more exciting than a C2.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:06 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k997
So if I'm interpreting you correctly, you wouldn't get bucket seats or the Leather T-interior on the T?

I'm a little surprised/not surprised by your "excitement" rating of the T. On the one hand, it does have the same engine as the C2, so one can't expect it to be really much faster, etc. On the other hand, you do kind of expect it to be a little bit more exciting than a C2.
The T is super price sensitive, so yes, I'd skip all that. I like basic black interiors, however, so YMMV. But I'd MUCH rather put that money into PCCB. Today was a strong reminder of Tenerife...the base 991.2 brakes just don't cut it on serious back roads. They never faded, but they got smelly and didn't inspire confidence. The run in the Touring with PCCB on the same section only drove that point home.

Sorry about the above—the "excitement" rating was meant for engine noise, not overall.

Not sure I am ready to put an overall excitement rating on either of these cars, but the GT3 would win by some distance there. Still, the T is really, really, really good—and a better all-rounder.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

So the actual gearing is not shorter on the T but rather just a short shifter? I thought I read somewhere that the T has shorter gears.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Agent 000 (aka Stout) thanks for the news report!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
So the actual gearing is not shorter on the T but rather just a short shifter? I thought I read somewhere that the T has shorter gears.
Sorry if I wrote it badly above.

T gets shorter shift throws (lever only I am told, but I will ask again tomorrow, as that seems too good to be true) and ALSO gets a shorter final drive, which then affects all ratios. My take is that you just don't really feel the effect.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Amazing feedback! Can't thank you enough ... please keep it coming; can't wait to hear about your 350 mile drive tomorrow and continued impressions of the T!

Here is my little contribution to the background and specs of the T (see attached pic) ... you'll see that the transmission and PTV is the same that is used in the C2S (shorter transaxle ratio) + a Short Shifter thrown in. Note the where all the other parts are sourced from (GT3, GT2RS, GTS, etc).

Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
The T is super price sensitive, so yes, I'd skip all that. I like basic black interiors, however, so YMMV. But I'd MUCH rather put that money into PCCB. Today was a strong reminder of Tenerife...the base 991.2 brakes just don't cut it on serious back roads. They never faded, but they got smelly and didn't inspire confidence. The run in the Touring with PCCB on the same section only drove that point home.
I'm curious as to the nature of the driving you're doing to experience issues with the brakes. I track my base 991.2 with stock brakes, and beat the crap out of it. It brakes just as well at the end of a 20-minute session as at the beginning, and they've never gotten smelly, faded, lost modulation, or did anything to inspire a loss of confidence. And this is in Phoenix with track temps over 120, and a car that weighs about 200 lbs more than the T you're driving.

I can imagine that after enough laps and on a more demanding track, the brakes would fade a bit, but from reading your posts it seems you're driving on public roads, in snow, using winter tires, and subject to traffic laws. What am I missing?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Agent 000 (aka Stout) thanks for the news report!

+991
Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 PM
UVXY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On that note, I meant to mention that every press trip has a sort of winner in terms of color combo, and between the Guards Red, Racing Yellow, White, and Miami Blue cars on hand....the White car looks the coolest with the gray exterior accents. FWIW, and YMMV of course!
Awesome to hear, I specced mine pure panda! (Regular white + blacked LEDS/tail lights + black glass sunroof )

Sound stuff, like ride quality, is pretty subjective and personal, but I'll try it this way:
Do you think the sound in the cabin would get annoying/ overly drumming over time if driving the 911T as a daily for 3 seasons out of the year?

Thank you!!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

In one of the Porsche Press Conferences at the LA Auto Show, the Porsche announcer mentioned that the addition of the LWBs meant a further weight reduction of 45lbs. That is pretty significant. I'm assuming this is as compared to the standard 4-ways plus back seats? Does that make the weight of the car 3,097lbs with the LWBs and MT? Pete, can you confirm?

Quick Reply: A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring