Sponsored by:

A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:56 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Lion

This is the thing that makes me doubt. My DD is a BMW 440i AT and while I readily admit there is no comparison I find the 440 horrible off idle. You can really tell when the turbos drop out and it’s not even very repeatable. It really compromises the experience for me and is one of a few turbo impressions I have that are not favorable.

But it perhaps the variable vane compressors and the ability to blip an MT to keep them spinning is enough to make the difference?
I have a BMW X5M as my daily, and it's really obvious that it's turbocharged. Below 2500 or so it's a dog, and then the power comes on strong. Because of this it's really only enjoyable to drive in transmission modes that keep the RPMs high. In normal mode it's frankly dangerous to drive, because you either have no power or all the power, I almost got into accidents when I forgot to put it in sports mode.

My 991.2 GTS has zero of these characteristics. I honestly don't really notice any turbo lag in any kind of driving. Porsche did an amazing job with this engine, and they've done a much better job than BMW on their turbo engines. There's power everywhere, right from the start at low RPMs.

​​​​​
Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

This is the thing that makes me doubt. My DD is a BMW 440i AT and while I readily admit there is no comparison I find the 440 horrible off idle. You can really tell when the turbos drop out and it’s not even very repeatable. It really compromises the experience for me and is one of a few turbo impressions I have that are not favorable.

But it perhaps the variable vane compressors and the ability to blip an MT to keep them spinning is enough to make the difference?

Very helpful comments - thanks all! Definitely giving me something to think about...

Best,
Mike
Thats not the turbos, that's BMW's absolutely terrible throttle programming. I had an F10 5 series that made me drive like someone with a learners permit. And every F series BMW I drove with the 8 speed auto had the same issue. Only the DCT's are well programmed.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reacher
I have a BMW X5M as my daily, and it's really obvious that it's turbocharged. Below 2500 or so it's a dog, and then the power comes on strong. Because of this it's really only enjoyable to drive in transmission modes that keep the RPMs high. In normal mode it's frankly dangerous to drive, because you either have no power or all the power, I almost got into accidents when I forgot to put it in sports mode.

My 991.2 GTS has zero of these characteristics. I honestly don't really notice any turbo lag in any kind of driving. Porsche did an amazing job with this engine, and they've done a much better job than BMW on their turbo engines. There's power everywhere, right from the start at low RPMs.

​​​​​
Yeah, I had that same issue. It's not the turbos themselves, it's the throttle. I distinctly recall calling the car dangerous because you'd try to get in the gas and pull into the intersection and it'd be nothing.....nothing.....nothing.....BAM IM DOING A BURNOUT AND GOING THROUGH THE INTERSECTION AT 65 MPH!!!!

Terrible that BMW still hasn't fixed this.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:47 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Yeah, I had that same issue. It's not the turbos themselves, it's the throttle. I distinctly recall calling the car dangerous because you'd try to get in the gas and pull into the intersection and it'd be nothing.....nothing.....nothing.....BAM IM DOING A BURNOUT AND GOING THROUGH THE INTERSECTION AT 65 MPH!!!!

Terrible that BMW still hasn't fixed this.
You're probably right that it's mostly throttle/transmission programming. I'm shocked that they can let the car go out like this, it's honestly quite scary and dangerous to drive like that. I usually switch between two of the M modes I have set up, but it's either still too lethargic or it's too high strung. There's no middle ground. That's really the only complaint I have about the car, but sometimes it's so frustrating it really makes me want to crash the car into the nearest telephone pole.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Very helpful comments - thanks all! Definitely giving me something to think about...

Best,
Mike
I didn’t think the turbos in non-TURBO 911 (base, t, s, gts) had vvt - ?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:56 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thats not the turbos, that's BMW's absolutely terrible throttle programming. I had an F10 5 series that made me drive like someone with a learners permit. And every F series BMW I drove with the 8 speed auto had the same issue. Only the DCT's are well programmed.
We recently purchased a Mini Countryman in a manual transmission and experienced the same horrible delay throttle issues. We were shocked and appalled that the Bmw programming will not allow the car to go!

These is only one fix for the Bmw and mini which was to install a sprint booster on the throttle.

Once installed we instantly fixed this issue in all driving modes.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:57 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
We recently purchased a Mini Countryman in a manual transmission and experienced the same horrible delay throttle issues. We were shocked and appalled that the Bmw programming will not allow the car to go!

These is only one fix for the Bmw and mini which was to install a sprint booster on the throttle.

Seriously? I had no idea. I have a 2014 Wrangler 3.6 6M and it had horrible delay between pressing the loud pedal and the engine getting gas/air. So bad I kept stalling it. Sure I coulda gotten used to it but then when I'd jump in my 997 Turbo 6M my timing would be all off there and the revs would be at 3000 by the time I let the clutch out. Bought a SprintBooster... Problem fixed. It sucks to pay $300 just to correct the horrible software of these cars, but on the other hand, being able to fix it for $300 is nice.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rapter

i put a Sprint Booster on my car. It helped....a little. Mostly what it did was made the problem less noticeable but the throttle too hyper most of the time.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:53 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y

I didn’t think the turbos in non-TURBO 911 (base, t, s, gts) had vvt - ?
Correct. However, I believe that the 718 (Boxster/Cayman) 4 cylinder engines have them.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Correct. However, I believe that the 718 (Boxster/Cayman) 4 cylinder engines have them.
Only, the 2.5-liter 5-cylinders, the S and GTS, have Variable Geometry Turbines. And none of the BMWs do, unless they have diesel engines, which almost all have them.

Quick Reply: A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring