Sponsored by:

A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by oceancarrera
Every option you ad Porsche keeps the standard parts too. Ad ceramic brakes, loose originals brakes to the next base car built behind yours.
I suspect that is figured into the price in many cases, but it's also why it's a bummer the same $,$$$ for PCCB on a Carrera S or GTS as you do on a plain Carrera. The upgraded brakes are a big part of the draw on an S or a GTS.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Fantastic photos, thank you @stout! I agree with you regarding White and the optional 5-spoke wheels. I wish GT Silver was present at the event. I'm struggling between those two colors. I just don't know how GT Silver + Agate accents would look? I feel that the accents would be washed out and look out of place possibly? I know it pops quite nicely on White.

Side note 1 - I've been reading through issue 3 of 000 and it seems you predicted the arrival of the Carrera T with your F22.2 concept! They are pretty similar in spec! Coincidence?

Side note 2 - 000 is phenomal. Extremely pleased with its quality and depth. Will definitely be subscribing!
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 169 Posts

Stout - do you happen to have any other pictures of the interior gloss trim? That's the one thing I just can't put my figure on with the interior config -- how does it all hang together, is the gloss black subtle (a good accent) or in your face...really hard to tell on the configurator.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:25 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Great photos!!! Thanks for sharing these!

Originally Posted by stout
Sorry for the delay on this...holidays and fires to put out. Not going to claim these as amazing photos, but I took them for my own documentation and maybe they add a bit of info for someone? If not, well, they're free.
The gray mirrors just didn't work for me...

...but they looked a lot better on the white car. Suspect the same would be true on GT Silver.

Gray on the rear badging and grille...

You really see the rear spoiler out the back window—this is taken at head height and you do see it in the rearview mirror, unlike a regular 991.2 Carrera coupe.

Sorry this is a bit out of focus, but I have to say the gloss black door trim worked better in person than on the configurator.

Lightweight Gorilla Glass means no defroster. It can be deleted, and must be deleted if you want a rear wiper.

The "chase" cars.

I really dug the Sport-Tex, but its shiny nubs mean it's not as grippy as I want cloth seats to be.

I like a lot of colors, but every press trip has a "winner." While the GT3 Touring was all about black, white was the best color for the T. Wish GT Silver had been there...

...also wish one could delete the gray paint on the wheels and mirrors. But it's a nit for sure and some will like it. I'd own it with the optional five-spoke wheels on a GT Silver or White car.

Yes, things got dirty on the Monte Carlo route. The T was clearly the better car, both for being narrower and having torque down low. I was "stuck" in the GT3 Touring for that section and offered to trade for the Carrera, but the other guy wasn't having any.

A map worth its weight in gold, and then some. A decade of notes on great sections scrawled all over it.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:09 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Good Lord, man, you don't need to quote a post with 25 photos we've all just seen, especially just to say Nice Job. Have pity on your fellow Rennlisters and spare the Internet a little bandwidth.
The following users liked this post:
matthewlesko (11-23-2020)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

@Stout - Thanks so much for the photos of the T, you responded to my brake upgrade question on the similar thread in the GT3 forum so thank you for that as well. You are providing some really good personal insight to these cars, invaluable really.

Looking forward to the video once its posted.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k997
Fantastic photos, thank you @stout! I agree with you regarding White and the optional 5-spoke wheels. I wish GT Silver was present at the event. I'm struggling between those two colors. I just don't know how GT Silver + Agate accents would look? I feel that the accents would be washed out and look out of place possibly? I know it pops quite nicely on White.

Side note 1 - I've been reading through issue 3 of 000 and it seems you predicted the arrival of the Carrera T with your F22.2 concept! They are pretty similar in spec! Coincidence?

Side note 2 - 000 is phenomal. Extremely pleased with its quality and depth. Will definitely be subscribing!
Tough to know on the GT Silver, but my sense is it might be the best looking of all options—if you search for the early 991R tests, there was a silver one with no graphics and gray wheels, and it looked GREAT. But the White T was the one at the launch. Also looked great. Only the wheels looked a little weak, hence why I would so the five-spokes and maybe consider BBS FI-R later on.

Side note 1: Total coincidence. We heard some rumblings as we went to print and I made a call to see if we needed to pull our story if it was going to make us look stupid after it hit mailboxes, but I was told the T, whatever it was, would debut well after that issue. It did, and shocked me...particularly the pinstripe seats! Eerie. I will say there are elements of the T that I like better than our F22.2 concept, mainly mechanical, but I still like our wheel choice, front bumper mesh, and exhaust setup....

Side note 2: Thank you for the kind words, and business!

Originally Posted by Sean Spicer
Stout - do you happen to have any other pictures of the interior gloss trim? That's the one thing I just can't put my figure on with the interior config -- how does it all hang together, is the gloss black subtle (a good accent) or in your face...really hard to tell on the configurator.
Unfortunately, no. I can dig through the press stuff—and need to if a fuller story on this drive will go into 000 or to another outlet—but I just grabbed that one while Harley was yelling at me to get in the car. Which is why it's out of focus.

My take is I hated the way the gloss black stuff looked on the configurator, but liked it quite a bit with the full leather with all the silver stitching. Not sure what I would do on a non-leather interior. Also, it fingerprints quite easily and gets hairline scratches when it gets wiped clean. So consider that, too. I wish the dark gray anodized brushed aluminum was an option...

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Great photos!!! Thanks for sharing these!
You're welcome. I wasn't sure how interesting they'd be...

Originally Posted by rxtrom
@Stout - Thanks so much for the photos of the T, you responded to my brake upgrade question on the similar thread in the GT3 forum so thank you for that as well. You are providing some really good personal insight to these cars, invaluable really.
You're welcome. Funny thing is, while movers and shakers at PCNA and PAG watch Rennlist (from engineers to product planners to designers to PR) and "get it," the companies hired to determine "media value" assign zero value to forums like Rennlist as well as social media. I find this very 2008 (or 1998?) and also very curious, given that the real customers are here to discuss real purchase decisions as opposed to the tiny percentage of Porsche customers and potential Porsche customers using many traditional and big-name media platforms. Yes, Rennlisters may be only one stripe of Porsche customers, but they are surely among the most loyal—and they are also opinion leaders and culture ambassadors. So I'm doing a bit of an experiment to see if we can shift the tables and change the "media value" game up. I have no idea if it will have any impact whatsoever, and don't really expect it to, but I guess Rennlist benefits with free content along the way.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:33 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear deck grill is ugly and without any style...YUCK
Old 12-29-2017, 02:35 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-29-2017, 02:37 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same place but six months earlier, June 2017. Col du Turini. The famous Monte Stage. In the background is my pal Clive in his 911 SC that he calls Jaffa. We spent five days and did over 1400kms on this magical run.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

[The Carrera T] was also the better car on the Monte Carlo route, and several attempts to trade the GT3 Touring for the T I was paired with for the day came to naught. Its (very good) driver knew that it was the better car on those narrow, rock-faced cliffy roads, being nearly 2 inches narrower and possessing low-end torque the GT3 Touring just doesn't.
This is the most impressive passage of the thread to me. And I’m saying this as someone with a 2018 GT3 MT on the way.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:39 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
This is the most impressive passage of the thread to me. And I’m saying this as someone with a 2018 GT3 MT on the way.
I am in the same boat. I expected the Touring to just demolish the T based on the insane fervor around the .2 GT3, while feeling like Porsche was just trying to throw a bone to its customers who couldn't get a GT-allocation and try to package a base Carrera as something special. Two things that I've picked up here is that hype can be different from reality and just because something is hard to get does not just make it the better car in all circumstances (which is what I likely subconsciously believed), and it's amazing to read how awesome the T was on these types of roads stacked against the new GT3 Touring. Some say that the GT3 is the last true "Carrera" for the MT + NA engine but I'm glad to see Porsche still making great 911s that need to be experienced first hand before judging. What's funny is I wonder if a base C2 had been part of this is how different or well it would have done with the T and Touring as well (not sure if Pete touched on that).
Old 12-29-2017, 05:02 PM
worldwidewebs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really dug the Sport-Tex, but its shiny nubs mean it's not as grippy as I want cloth seats to be.
I'm thinking of the silver T interior for my car and this picture really shows off the sport-tex so much better than the configurator. What did the miami and red cars have and do you have any photos of them to compare?SaveSave
Old 12-29-2017, 06:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
What's funny is I wonder if a base C2 had been part of this is how different or well it would have done with the T and Touring as well (not sure if Pete touched on that).
Was thinking about that, but can't answer it definitively. The only way to know is to put the cars together on the same roads, something we may actually do for 000 in 2018. We'll see. But my sense, after a lot of seat time in all three, is that the standard Carrera would have given up very little or nothing in that section—and may have actually had an advantage due to its softer (but hardly soft) suspension and extra ride height. In rainy, greasy, or icy conditions, a little more lean is no bad thing at all.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I am in the same boat. I expected the Touring to just demolish the T based on the insane fervor around the .2 GT3, while feeling like Porsche was just trying to throw a bone to its customers who couldn't get a GT-allocation and try to package a base Carrera as something special. Two things that I've picked up here is that hype can be different from reality and just because something is hard to get does not just make it the better car in all circumstances (which is what I likely subconsciously believed), and it's amazing to read how awesome the T was on these types of roads stacked against the new GT3 Touring. Some say that the GT3 is the last true "Carrera" for the MT + NA engine but I'm glad to see Porsche still making great 911s that need to be experienced first hand before judging. What's funny is I wonder if a base C2 had been part of this is how different or well it would have done with the T and Touring as well (not sure if Pete touched on that).
And it does, in terms of experience. That GT3 Touring wore me out by the end of the day...I don't drink alcohol for effect, but needed a beer to quiet the synapses when we got to the hotel that night. Not sure I would have been anywhere near as exhausted had I been in the T.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

You're welcome. Funny thing is, while movers and shakers at PCNA and PAG watch Rennlist (from engineers to product planners to designers to PR) and "get it," the companies hired to determine "media value" assign zero value to forums like Rennlist as well as social media. I find this very 2008 (or 1998?) and also very curious, given that the real customers are here to discuss real purchase decisions as opposed to the tiny percentage of Porsche customers and potential Porsche customers using many traditional and big-name media platforms. Yes, Rennlisters may be only one stripe of Porsche customers, but they are surely among the most loyal—and they are also opinion leaders and culture ambassadors. So I'm doing a bit of an experiment to see if we can shift the tables and change the "media value" game up. I have no idea if it will have any impact whatsoever, and don't really expect it to, but I guess Rennlist benefits with free content along the way.
I find many "media companies" to be similarly short sighted. They talk about click through rate, clicks to open, likes, impressions, and whatever else and I sit there saying "how many of these people actually bought my product?" Usually it's not many. The numbers are a very self-serving game, IMO. Whereas something like this forum, which can sway opinions way faster and stronger than any social media campaign, and where actual owners hang out, is ignored.

Stories sell. And yet the "stories" pushed out in the media platforms (social and otherwise) through the official channels is fake, written by product planners and the like. And people see that. They smell the inauthenticity and the marketing fluff and turn away. Whereas the Stories told here by actual owners are real, and as a result quite compelling.

Very short sighted and likely because it's not so easily quantified.

Quick Reply: A drive in the Carrera T and GT3 Touring