Sponsored by:

New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:29 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I though the weight saving as such but it looks to be about 150 lb weight reduction with no stereo. Would have been amazing to get it to say 2899lbs (it is 3142 with standard seats) but that would be a challenge and still meet all of the safety regulations I suppose.
I keep seeing different numbers thrown out which I assume is a product of how it’s optioned. PCM delete would be cool on a race car with a sing song motor, but seems reaching here. And this is coming from someone who cares nothing about PCM or what “screen” a 911 has, gets slightly annoyed by how much importance enthusiasts put on infotainment, is avidly against the fluff tech proliferation in what’s supposed to be visceral sports cars, and leaves my screen simply on lateral g and performance Car data. But even for me, a total delete on a car with a very potent but not exactly audiolly enthralling 3.0 turbo? Even the GT2 doesn’t sound nearly good enough to not be able to play music in the car.

I dunno, I’ll be interested to see how many people order it sans PCM. Though I support Porsche’s decision to give an option to remove it. A step in the right direction.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Argon_
Reduced refinement would be a selling point for me.
Fair enough and I can understand that. Especially considering how refined .1’s got, then how much more refined .2’s got.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Of all the threads, This had to be one of the few where e-mail notification of new posts works for me.

I put schtTicky and KayAye on ignore and it makes the thread almost readable. Now, if everyone else would stop quoting their posts we could have a worth while thread.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Of all the threads, This had to be one of the few where e-mail notification of new posts works for me.

I put schtTicky and KayAye on ignore and it makes the thread almost readable. Now, if everyone else would stop quoting their posts we could have a worth while thread.
I started a rage free thread so we can discuss the actual car, instead of playing verbal dodge wrench.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:06 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I was at the dealer yesterday and saw some internal only marketing guide.... this is a parts bin car. Suspension and sound dampening from the GTS. Door cards and pulls from the GT3. MT ratios, not sure where they are coming from. Not 100% sure if they are different or just the final drive ratio.

My current plan was to sit on my 997.2 C4S til I could get a lightly optioned base 991.2 after about 2.5 years of depreciation while my current car depreciates at less than a third the rate. I'm convinced the 991.2 base is a quite worthy car. Being at altitude it will outperform the NA cars. Smaller turbos will maintain the throttle response that may be compromised in say the 450HP GTS.

The T represents very closely to the ideal parts bin Base 991.2 I've been musing about. Price wise, when you add to a Base some of the standard features included in the T, the $10K gap melts pretty quickly, plus you get things you cannot get in a Base.... pretty simple math.

I don't think LWBs would be on my car; I've ridden in and driven them, and with my back, can't see getting them, no matter how cool they are. My base build would have a metal sunroof and a different streering wheel, maybe heated seats; Sport Exhaust I'm on the fence about but would take in that 2.5 year old depreciated car in a heartbeat.

So back to the depreciation discussion - if I believe the T will depreciate less than a Base, then I may have to take my dealer's advice and just sit down and order the exact T I want. I have a "slot" to do so at MSRP at this time.

PTS is the obvious consideration here.... the ability to add color and some cloth inserts from the 70s to one of these builds.......... the mind wanders to Bahama Yellow with plaid seat inserts.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by ljahearn

PTS is the obvious consideration here.... the ability to add color and some cloth inserts from the 70s to one of these builds.......... the mind wanders to Bahama Yellow with plaid seat inserts.

Bingo!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ljahearn
I was at the dealer yesterday and saw some internal only marketing guide.... this is a parts bin car. Suspension and sound dampening from the GTS. Door cards and pulls from the GT3. MT ratios, not sure where they are coming from. Not 100% sure if they are different or just the final drive ratio.

My current plan was to sit on my 997.2 C4S til I could get a lightly optioned base 991.2 after about 2.5 years of depreciation while my current car depreciates at less than a third the rate. I'm convinced the 991.2 base is a quite worthy car. Being at altitude it will outperform the NA cars. Smaller turbos will maintain the throttle response that may be compromised in say the 450HP GTS.

The T represents very closely to the ideal parts bin Base 991.2 I've been musing about. Price wise, when you add to a Base some of the standard features included in the T, the $10K gap melts pretty quickly, plus you get things you cannot get in a Base.... pretty simple math.

I don't think LWBs would be on my car; I've ridden in and driven them, and with my back, can't see getting them, no matter how cool they are. My base build would have a metal sunroof and a different streering wheel, maybe heated seats; Sport Exhaust I'm on the fence about but would take in that 2.5 year old depreciated car in a heartbeat.

So back to the depreciation discussion - if I believe the T will depreciate less than a Base, then I may have to take my dealer's advice and just sit down and order the exact T I want. I have a "slot" to do so at MSRP at this time.

It will depreciate less than the base .2. No question.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. I'm glad they'll make it. It's a little closer to the formula of the 996 GT3. Track it on the weekend, drive it to work Monday. Would I buy it? Yes, probably. I'd miss the sweet sound of my 3.4...
Old 10-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichAA
I like it. I'm glad they'll make it. It's a little closer to the formula of the 996 GT3. Track it on the weekend, drive it to work Monday. Would I buy it? Yes, probably. I'd miss the sweet sound of my 3.4...
The 996 GT3. A nearly perfect machine with a cheap interior and misshapen headlights.

That being said, it is an amazing formula for a sportscar, and somewhat similar in spec to the 991T.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:30 PM
oceancarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what they are doing is slicing up the idea of the base car for a different version of the base car.
A little mix of GT2 with some other thoughts so not make every base priced car the same. I think it's cool.
Like the old days with the 911T to the 911E and the better yet 911S of the 70's.
Which is their projected customer base coming of age/income to get what they dreamed about back then as a teen...genius.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Forgot to log out of your alt account?

Name:  A6eN18O.png
Views: 9
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 10-26-2017, 09:22 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Forgot to log out of your alt account?

Nope, I just quoted myself - e.g. humorous.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I instantly disregard forum queens with 1000+ posts. Can't trust an "expert" with that much time on their hands.

Do you really think Herr Blume gives a damn? Vote with your wallet. Buy it or don't buy it.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:45 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DY369
I instantly disregard forum queens with 1000+ posts. Can't trust an "expert" with that much time on their hands.

Do you really think Herr Blume gives a damn? Vote with your wallet. Buy it or don't buy it.
There are people on this site that have owned just about every Porsche ever built, there are others that own multiple current Porsche sports cars and others that own a variety of super cars including Porsche sports cars right through to those that own a single 356.

Also, there are people that have competed in national level rallys, 12 hour and 24 hour endurance racing, Carrera Cup etc right through to week end warriors. Rennlist even has race engineers and journalists from a range of magazines.

Quite an interesting bunch really - thus I wouldn't be too quick to disregard their thoughts and idle musings, after all you may find that some of them have earned the right to have the luxury of time
Old 10-27-2017, 09:37 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DY369

There is good info from some.

90% of threads would be resolved if posters would go test drive whatever it is they are comparing.

Sometimes it's winter and sometimes people are waiting delivery so this is how they get their fix. Much of the "data and information" is conjecture and opinion.

Quick Reply: New 911 Carrera T: a completely pointless marketing exercise