Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 04:30 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Where in the world are you from?
The 51st state 😂

Also tried out my torque multiplier today - 68 lb ft to tighten rather than 450 !! Used a trolley jack for the reaction bar rather than putting a bar against the alloy spokes 😳

The following 4 users liked this post by Mercuriell:
Beezupra (07-25-2021), Big Swole (07-25-2021), Pb Pedis (07-26-2021), r00t61 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:41 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,852 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Great canyon twisties this morning!

Ran into a true enthusiast mid-route who joined us in his stunning Lotus Elite and later showed us the rest of his collection... Tucked away on a farm right smack in the middle of one of our favorite canyon routes!

Last edited by pfbz; 07-25-2021 at 04:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pfbz:
Beezupra (07-26-2021), Big Swole (07-25-2021), DANACO (07-27-2021), Pb Pedis (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:41 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Measured my wheel run-out.

LF:
Axial ~0.1 mm
Radial ~0.2 mm
RF:
Axial <0.1 mm
Radial <0.2 mm
LR:
Axial ~0.2 mm
Radial ~0.1 mm
RR:
Axial ~0.2 mm
Radial ~0.4 mm

Right rear took a hit a while back. Not as bad as the one on the last page. Tomorrow, I'll pull a new rear out of its box and measure it for S&Gs, but the old LR needs some work.
Last Thursday I measured one of the lightly-used wheels from my spare set:
Axial ~0.2 mm
Radial ~0.2 mm

So, close to the other three and better than the original.

On Friday I had my tire guy (https://mytireguys.com/) come and mount a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S N0.

I love this service. Jake and crew have done 1/2-dozen or more sets for me and my folks over the last few years.

Last edited by worf928; 07-26-2021 at 01:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (07-25-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 12:58 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Last Thursday I mounted one of the lightly-used wheels from my spare set:
Axial ~0.2 mm
Radial ~0.2 mm

On Friday I had my tire guy (https://mytireguys.com/) come and mount a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S N0.

I love this service. Jake and crew have done 1/2-dozen or more sets for my and my folks over the last few years.
Very interesting. I've never seen a mobile tire mounting service like that. They don't have pricing on their website. How does the cost compare to typical mount and balance in your area?

I typically take my wheels in and drop them off as I don't like leaving my vehicles at any shop if I can avoid it. However, I recently traded in my Tundra (the trade offers were just too good to pass up), and until the new Tundras arrive in the fall, my IS300 wagon will be doing wheel/tire transport duties. Your post is timely considering I just loaded up the IS300 for a trip in the morning. It takes a bit more time, effort and care to load, but believe it or not, it will fit 4 boxed 19" wheels and 4 mounted 18" wheels/tires

Old 07-26-2021, 01:10 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vman932
Very interesting. I've never seen a mobile tire mounting service like that. They don't have pricing on their website. How does the cost compare to typical mount and balance in your area?
Mobile tires services have been around for a couple of years depending upon area. In high-density regions they are abundant. MTGs seems to have cornered the Boston area. Not sure where you are…

As for pricing, MTGs is more-or-less the same as getting them from Tirerack and having them mounted. I think in my case it was a few bucks less.

And, I don’t have to waste a couple or four hours of my time schlepping and dealing with local tire stores.

If you email MTGs with what you want or year/make/model you’ll get a quote back within a business day.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:28 AM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Mobile tires services have been around for a couple of years depending upon area. In high-density regions they are abundant. MTGs seems to have cornered the Boston area. Not sure where you are…

As for pricing, MTGs is more-or-less the same as getting them from Tirerack and having them mounted. I think in my case it was a few bucks less.

And, I don’t have to waste a couple or four hours of my time schlepping and dealing with local tire stores.

If you email MTGs with what you want or year/make/model you’ll get a quote back within a business day.
I'm in a small town an hour + outside of Atlanta. There is no one offering the service in my area. I just assumed it would be significantly more costly given the convenience for the customer, but if it's approximately the same cost, seems like a great deal.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 657 Posts
Default So True...

....However, I recently traded in my Tundra (the trade offers were just too good to pass up), and until the new Tundras arrive in the fall, my IS300 wagon will be doing wheel/tire transport duties...
Ok, this is wayyyyy off topic, but I am also selling one of my Tundras (2019 limited 4x4 crewmax with TRD off road package) I have it listed on autotrader, carmax and TRED. How did you get the best price?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:58 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Ok, this is wayyyyy off topic, but I am also selling one of my Tundras (2019 limited 4x4 crewmax with TRD off road package) I have it listed on autotrader, carmax and TRED. How did you get the best price?
I traded a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid in addition to my Tundra. I got quotes for from Carmax, Vroom, and Carvana. I then tried to work a deal with my local Toyota dealer. They were close, but not quite up to the combined best offers I had online. I then tried another Toyota dealer ~45 miles away. They were claiming they would match any online offer. Without even mentioning another offer, they were $3k higher than my best offer on the Tundra. They were $800 low on my best Lincoln offer, but matched it without question when I showed them the screenshot of my offer. Both offers were made without seeing them in person, photos only. They listed my Tundra for $3k more than they gave me on trade and sold it within 3~4 days. I think I managed to hit the market at the peak. Wholesale auction prices have started to fall. I updated my online offers each week after trading and they have dropped each week. I'm not sure when retail prices will start coming down, but wholesale and dealer trade values are falling. So if you are trying to cash in on a "regular" car/truck, I believe time is of the essence. In my situation, the dealer was so starved for inventory, we were doing paperwork before they drove or even looked at either of my vehicles. My wife said: "This is crazy, they don't even know if the vehicles have seats!!!" 🤣🤣🤣 My vehicles were "front line ready" and I sent them plenty of photos, so I'm sure this didn't hurt my situation.

Pulling this back on topic a bit. I drove to Porsche Parade a couple weeks ago. 500+ miles each way. This was my first road trip after switching from Fabspeed headers and exhaust to the Kline headers and exhaust. The Kline setup is definitely more subdued and muffled than the fabspeed. I do miss the "rowdy-ness" of the Fabspeed, but I also appreciate the civility of the Kline while cruising for hours on end. The 991 performed it's super car/GT car dual duties admirably. Cruising in comfort with two 42 oz beverages while returning commendable fuel economy, yet able to click off a low 10 sec 1/4 mile at 137~138 on pump gas only if need be. I would not recommend attempting any of those super car duties while also carrying two 42 oz beverages. The 991 cupholders are only GT approved. 🤣🤣🤣

The following 2 users liked this post by vman932:
Beezupra (07-26-2021), r00t61 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 01:28 PM
vanwinkl
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ran the Tail of the Dragon on Saturday morning in my new-to-me '19 Turbo S.

It was a humbling experience - this car is so much better than I am behind the wheel! Felt like the car had so much more to give, but I stayed comfortably within my limits. The cornering grip, the explosiveness out of the corners - my mind was blown and I loved it!

Seth
'19 Turbo S
The following 2 users liked this post by vanwinkl:
Big Swole (07-27-2021), RadarP3C (07-28-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 01:29 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in a small town an hour + outside of Atlanta. There is no one offering the service in my area.
Did ya call these guys:
https://www.ianditires.com
https://www.intiremobile.com

Suggest you check for references on the Rennlist regional forum and in the ‘big’ forums (991, 928,..)

I just assumed it would be significantly more costly given the convenience for the customer, but if it's approximately the same cost, seems like a great deal.
They have to compete with people that value their own time at zero (or don’t even think about it) so they can’t be a lot more expensive than the alternatives.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 657 Posts

I don't know how you did this....I would never even start the car with drinks like that in those cup holders! I know they cinch up pretty good and tighten around the bottom of the drinks but.....man....this picture gives me anxiety!

On another related note, I recently switched from OEM exhaust/cats to Kline 70mm with Kline De-cat pipes and I am so pleased with the civility when at part throttle (no louder than stock IMHO) but it is so satisfying at WOT. I do plan to upgrade to Kline headers as well (although no plans to upgrade turbos just yet), and will be anxious to hear the difference (if any?).
Old 07-27-2021, 01:43 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Last Thursday I measured one of the lightly-used wheels from my spare set:
Axial ~0.2 mm
Radial ~0.2 mm

I love this service. Jake and crew have done 1/2-dozen or more sets for me and my folks over the last few years.

I want your on site tyre delivery service guy.

What a good idea.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:25 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 335 Posts

I don't know how you did this....I would never even start the car with drinks like that in those cup holders! I know they cinch up pretty good and tighten around the bottom of the drinks but.....man....this picture gives me anxiety!

On another related note, I recently switched from OEM exhaust/cats to Kline 70mm with Kline De-cat pipes and I am so pleased with the civility when at part throttle (no louder than stock IMHO) but it is so satisfying at WOT. I do plan to upgrade to Kline headers as well (although no plans to upgrade turbos just yet), and will be anxious to hear the difference (if any?).
I feel the same way...that pic just makes my stomach turn...nothing larger than a small DD coffee gets into the cup holder.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:44 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,256 Likes on 756 Posts

No kidding, reminds me of the day my wife was waiting in the car with her feet on the dash sipping a Starbucks Trenta.

Sorry, I meant ex-wife...
Big Swole (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I want your on site tyre delivery service guy.
You don’t need mine. You’ve got a selection of your own:

http://www.topguntire.com
https://joethetireguy.com
https://www.roadrunnersdialatire.com

Seriously, folks: These operators are everywhere. Google “mobile tire service <insert your area>”

Originally Posted by vrybad
I feel the same way...that pic just makes my stomach turn...nothing larger than a small DD coffee gets into the cup holder.
Nothing that isn’t spill proof goes in mine. If you don’t flip the middle piece back, the holders become g-meters.

Originally Posted by .2PDK
No kidding, reminds me of ..

… ex-wife...
And that is the correct answer!
r00t61 (07-27-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?