Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 11:10 PM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 130 Posts

I've got to put a how-to together, but I replaced the Change-Over Valve (COV) that controls flow of coolant to the heater core. If you suddenly lose heat in a 991, the change-over valves are the famous culprit. The local Porsche master-tech has a new pair of parts that are much more durable and likely won't break again. I'd rather do that than replace this COV a *third* time in 25k miles. How-to coming.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,853 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
They did Really well, however I did feel a few times after several laps that they got a wee bit greasy. When you get them too hot, it's best to go in a let them cool down a bit.
Definitely true... but no matter *how* sticky and heat tolerant your tires are, they are going to have limits, so learning to manage the limit, even if it is a lower limit, is a skill to develop. Did you monitor pressures and bleed down when they got hot?

Personally, If I was going to do track days on the frequent, I'd have a set of wheels with Cup 2's ready to swap prior to driving there and back.
Making a car a better 'track' car is a slippery slope... First it's tires, then steel rotors and track pads, then suspension mods, then (fill in the blank)... I've gone too far in this direction in the past. Just something to keep in mind...

Last edited by pfbz; 03-19-2021 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 12:31 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Definitely true... but no matter *how* sticky and heat tolerant your tires are, they are going to have limits, so learning to manage the limit, even if it is a lower limit, is a skill to develop. Did you monitor pressures and bleed down when they got hot?

Making a car a better 'track' car is a slippery slope... First it's tires, then steel rotors and track pads, then suspension mods, then (fill in the blank)... I've gone too far in this direction in the past. Just something to keep in mind...

I agree 100%!! Knowing the limit and staying within it for whatever you're driving is a skill within the skill of driving.
I think I did quite well at all of it for my first track outing with this car. Mainly due to the fact that I still owe 98k on it!! lol
But, going as quickly as I felt I could without any real uneasy feeling was the goal.

You are again correct. I have ZERO intensions of making this a track car. At best, now that I have an extra wheel set, I'll buy a set of Cup 2's to have on one set for an occasional track outing or summer time mountains trip where I know the temps will be warm enough (NOT a problem here in Atlanta area in Summer..lol) and that'll be that. This car is SO capable as it is and with my natural ability / aggressiveness with anything motorsport, I doubt I'll feel "Left behind" by very many cars / drivers. (Not bragging, just know how I am with things).

Now the biggest worry are my PCCB's. I tried to be as easy as I could on them and have NO intensions of doing enough tracking during my ownership to worry about screwing them up. I'll do everything possible to take care of them and this car. I have too much invested to beat on it like that.

Last edited by Big Swole; 03-19-2021 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:03 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

My honest opinion: PS4S suck. They're good for daily, traffic obiding driving.

I've searched a lot and people on rennlist get their panties in a bunch when you say that, but the Cup2 is miles better. There is a clear and definite difference. I've also read tons of posts of "oh boy, you better watch out in the rain! ". Which is an overused statement.

I crapped my pants the first time I drove Cup2s in light rain with standing water... As I drove on my confidence grew and I began maneuvering smoothly but sharply, and nothing. They gripped just fine and inspired me to go faster and faster. No issues.

I would never venture past a Cup2 for performance unless I'm shooting for drag records or lap records... I do want to try the Trofeo R's at some point, but I swear by the Cup2. Especially if you live in warmer climate.

Just don't believe the misinformation which is the PS4S is the GOAT tire and just as good as the Cup2 while being an all season. Then at the same time the Cup2 being a race slick... It's quite the opposite.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
My honest opinion: PS4S suck. They're good for daily, traffic obiding driving.

I think that's a bit harsh man. I 100% agree with you about the Cup 2's being way better for track / warm weather aggressive driving, but to say PS4S's "Suck" is just not true.

You may be some super hero driver but I consider myself a pretty aggressive and talented driver as well, and the PS4S handles very very well in our awesome mountain roads. Frankly, NOBODY needs to go faster on a public road than the PS4S's can go. They already allow us to carry more than twice / three times the posted speeds in the corners with ease.

It's obvious that you can Not make a " One size fits all" tires that can RACE and RAIN, hence they're being so many options, but you know this.

The following 6 users liked this post by Big Swole:
CodyzWorld (03-23-2021), m96.70s (03-24-2021), MotoJB (03-19-2021), onfireTTS (03-19-2021), Pb Pedis (03-24-2021), Redlinerobert (03-21-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2021, 12:28 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

I think that's a bit harsh man. I 100% agree with you about the Cup 2's being way better for track / warm weather aggressive driving, but to say PS4S's "Suck" is just not true.

You may be some super hero driver but I consider myself a pretty aggressive and talented driver as well, and the PS4S handles very very well in our awesome mountain roads. Frankly, NOBODY needs to go faster on a public road than the PS4S's can go. They already allow us to carry more than twice / three times the posted speeds in the corners with ease.

It's obvious that you can Not make a " One size fits all" tires that can RACE and RAIN, hence they're being so many options, but you know this.

Agreed.
​​​​​​​
I've always run "Streetable Track & Competition" type tires on all my sports cars. This is the first time I've tried running the PS4S, coming off the crappy stock Pirelli's.

I can tell you, I'm hanging with all my aggressive driving friends in their Cup 2 shod cars just fine. It's the street, not the dang track. If it were the track, sure, the Cup 2's would clearly outperform in several ways but to those that say you clearly benefit from the extra grip of Cup 2's on the street...no you don't. Not to say I won't possibly try them on my street car someday but for now, the 4S's are working great.

I have had a lot of track time and experience with various tire mfg's and compounds. There is nothing these PS4S's lack for the street.

The following 3 users liked this post by MotoJB:
Big Swole (03-19-2021), onfireTTS (03-19-2021), Redlinerobert (03-21-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:08 PM
911dude41
Drifting

I will certainly admit that the PS4S is much better than the crappy P-Zeros which are only good when new or the first 500 miles... But come on guys, we drive TTS's. Almost everyone active in this section is running strong tunes trying their best not to spin. The Cup2 grips better off a TTS launch for sure. I'm riding on PS4S right now and the car understeers more with less precise turn in. The PS4S do last longer though.

Note: I apologize if I came off strong, I'm not here trying to bash anyone or their driving skills. I'm not a pro. Just a passionate car guy who can come of brash over the smallest things. Don't mind me.
The following 3 users liked this post by 911dude41:
Big Swole (03-19-2021), MotoJB (03-25-2021), Redlinerobert (03-21-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:36 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I will certainly admit that the PS4S is much better than the crappy P-Zeros which are only good when new or the first 500 miles... But come on guys, we drive TTS's. Almost everyone active in this section is running strong tunes trying their best not to spin. The Cup2 grips better off a TTS launch for sure. I'm riding on PS4S right now and the car understeers more with less precise turn in. The PS4S do last longer though.
Note: I apologize if I came off strong, I'm not here trying to bash anyone or their driving skills. I'm not a pro. Just a passionate car guy who can come of brash over the smallest things. Don't mind me.

Oh I / we didn't take offense brother. You're entitled to your opinion just like we are.
I'm a very opinionated person anyway..lol. I should practice not being so much..lol
So no need to apologize and feel free to post up any time about any thing!!!

Cheers as well Sir!!

David
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
911dude41 (03-20-2021), MotoJB (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 12:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

I have limited opinions.
Big Swole (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 05:35 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Oh I / we didn't take offense brother. You're entitled to your opinion just like we are.
I'm a very opinionated person anyway..lol. I should practice not being so much..lol
So no need to apologize and feel free to post up any time about any thing!!!

Cheers as well Sir!!

David
Knew you were a cool cat. Your posts show it.

To further touch up my input on the PS4S;

They don't handle undulations, cracks, transitions, and other imperfections on the road/street/tarmac as well. I've noticed that they are prone to jumping/skipping. Not horrible, but again just compared to the Cup2.

Also, does anyone else's TT/TTS torque steer? I'm very sensitive to car feel and I swear this beast's front wheels pull the car in 1st gear. I'm just running a crappy Cobb stage 1 OTS tune. If I punch it in 1st between 2-4k RPM and get wheelspin, the front pulls/torque steers a bit. In a very fun and entertaining way I should add.

I've got a bunch of goodies ordered and coming in the mail, I can't wait. Several carbon pieces. Will post pics once installed!!
Big Swole (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:54 PM
fatbadgers
AutoX

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keching
Just curious, is that an attachment to take out the rear seats?
you just fold the seats down and Install these
Old 03-24-2021, 03:10 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,124 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Starting chasing a weird electrical fault in the FAL - shows up once, disappears, works fine, then announces itself while driving.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:43 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Starting chasing a weird electrical fault in the FAL - shows up once, disappears, works fine, then announces itself while driving.
Hope it's not related to the DSC module...
Old 03-24-2021, 03:56 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
Hope it's not related to the DSC module...

Good point.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:31 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Last edited by ottodawg; 03-25-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?