991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:05 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Thousanss of threads and nobody understood yet
that Porsche is really scared by car appreciation

BECAUSE PPL RARELY SELL THEIR APPRECIATING ASSETS (see 997 4.0)

fine when its a 600 limited car production

but when it start being for regular 5000 car production
is dangerous

once custoners have put 2 or 3 GT in their garage

most likely THEY DON T BUY A NEW ONE soon

and in mid term would DESTROY the PAG market

in other words capitalism works until ppl use their products
to buy asap a new one
Old 05-27-2017, 06:06 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
IMO the GT3 should never be a "reward" car. Everyone who can afford and wants a GT3 should get one. NO demand-1 stuff, supply should equal demand. If you want to dangle the GT3RS, 997 RS 4.0 etc for the super awesome customers that's fine, but the base GT3 should be available for every track rat and back road dude that can cut the check.
None of them should be reward cars, the RS and RS+ are designed to excel on the track, not as object d'art.
As I understand it, Porsche is currently supply restricted by factory size.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 PM
mcp486
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
None of them should be reward cars, the RS and RS+ are designed to excel on the track, not as object d'art.
As I understand it, Porsche is currently supply restricted by factory size.
Right, and if they can't make more cars, at least get them in the hands of the true customers, not flippers and speculators!
Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Can you imagine if you went to buy milk and the store owner said, we only sell milk to milk enthusiasts or people who REALLY like milk or people who drink it super duper fast?
Hilarious, but I've had this happen with beers. I walk into the beer store and the employees offer me rare barrel aged beers that they only offer to people they know.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

If the store owner has only five cartons of milk to sell and has 15 regular customers that want to buy a carton, should he sell it to a stranger that walks through the door and wants one? What you're all missing is this is a business relationship between Porsche, the dealer and customers. By customers I mean those that have purchased cars before. For many of you to say that relationships don't matter and only money matters you're living on an another planet in the business world.

This is all about relationships. Ferrari recognized this long ago and has pretty much adhered to it. Porsche is just getting into the game and recognizing their best customers and making cars available to them. To assert that these relatively limited number of cars should be on a first come first serve basis is nonsense.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Meh it's the hot car right now and everyone wants one. Have your dealership put you on the list for the 992 gt3 too, if you don't get this one, you'll get one of those. No biggie.
Not the way it works unfortunately. I'll still be behind the same people who are ahead of me in the .2 GT3 queue. The same group of people want all the same GT cars. If I ask for a .2 GT3RS, next GT4, etc., I'll still face the same uphill battle with the same customers ahead of me.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
If the store owner has only five cartons of milk to sell and has 15 regular customers that want to buy a carton, should he sell it to a stranger that walks through the door and wants one? What you're all missing is this is a business relationship between Porsche, the dealer and customers. By customers I mean those that have purchased cars before. For many of you to say that relationships don't matter and only money matters you're living on an another planet in the business world.
No, just many of us have had the experience of buying multiple brand new cars from a dealership and servicing them all there, only to be told to go pound sand. There is no 'relationship' to be had with many dealers. I've purchased three brand new Porsches in the last 30 months and spent over $10k in mods and service with local dealers, and that has afforded me nothing at all in the way of a 'relationship'. They're nice and all, but it ain't gettin' me a car.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I think it is sort of nice to build a relationship with a brand and have them offer you cars that some people might not get. I think that is the most special thing about some of these brands. If anyone could walk into Porsche and buy a GT3 or walk into Ferrari and buy a 488 Spider then what would be so special about them? Just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean you should get special treatment. I could split up all my money and buy one car from each brand and have a wide range of cars in my garage but not so special of a relationship with the dealers and the brands. But, I have decided to spend my money with Porsche because I love the way they treat me, the heritage of the company is astounding, and quite frankly it is the best driving car money can buy in my eyes.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimately, if enough of us get sick of it, then demand goes down.

I for one, got off that carousel a long time ago. I don't even bother trying to get a new car. Tech is cool but performance increases are minimal nowadays. I enjoy the ones I have and trade when I want to. I try to avoid paying up for a car and that keeps me sane.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, just many of us have had the experience of buying multiple brand new cars from a dealership and servicing them all there, only to be told to go pound sand. There is no 'relationship' to be had with many dealers. I've purchased three brand new Porsches in the last 30 months and spent over $10k in mods and service with local dealers, and that has afforded me nothing at all in the way of a 'relationship'. They're nice and all, but it ain't gettin' me a car.
From the same dealer or did you shop price? If I am buying 3 cars from the same dealer in the past 30 months I would be all over the sale manager letting him know I want the next hot Porsche GT to be built. It's a campaign to insinuate yourself into being part of the program.

Once in, I doubt you will be taking the position you're taking now.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM
mcp486
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by mcp486; 01-26-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
From the same dealer or did you shop price? If I am buying 3 cars from the same dealer in the past 30 months I would be all over the sale manager letting him know I want the next hot Porsche GT to be built. It's a campaign to insinuate yourself into being part of the program.

Once in, I doubt you will be taking the position you're taking now.
Nick, on average how many cars have you bought per year from your dealer? Have you traded all your GT cars back to the dealer to get a new GT car?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
If anyone could walk into Porsche and buy a GT3 or walk into Ferrari and buy a 488 Spider then what would be so special about them?
I hate to break it to you, but it's the CAR that is special. Not you.

I don't understand the whole 'exclusivity' thing. Never did. Never will.

Some of us just want to pound the hell out of the on the race track and then repeat the process when the next model comes out. I don't care how many other people have the car and who sees me in the car. I really don't.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcp486
If only it were that easy...

My dealer knows, but that doesn't really increase my confidence.

I'm laid back. It doesn't need the first one...I don't really care if it takes 12-18 months. I just want to know I'll be able to get one without getting completely boned on price, or trade-in value.
Exactly, some dealer could give a crap less if you bought 3 cars from them in 30 months or 3 months. That's the real tragedy. A relationship is supposed to be a true way street or am I missing something?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I hate to break it to you, but it's the CAR that is special. Not you.

I don't understand the whole 'exclusivity' thing. Never did. Never will.

Some of us just want to pound the hell out of the on the race track and then repeat the process when the next model comes out. I don't care how many other people have the car and who sees me in the car. I really don't.
Amen brother, preach on. Give me the next GT to go track!

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?