Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Should have just stayed out when I first made the decision. My brain hurts from too much logical incoherence. I'm out.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Should have just stayed out when I first made the decision. My brain hurts from too much logical incoherence. I'm out.
I agree.....logic and reason sucks when it actually makes sense?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

What's logic have anything to do with this?

Most folks here don't have enough facts to even begin to apply logic.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:28 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
What dealer would buy a franchise and invest $10 million in a dealership if the manufacturer could still sell direct to customers and bypass them???

Ummmmmm ... really?
Exactly. And yes, in reply to another post, 2016-2017 will probably be a high water mark for dealer profitability (and by extension, valuations). The automotive industry will likely see more change in the next 5 years than it has in the past 10-15. It's both an opportunity and a risk -- and probably more of the latter.

Manufacturers are already controlling dealerships like never before - why would they want to own them? Granted, there are some bad examples but name an industry that is free of them.

Personally, I think second stickers are counterproductive with building customer relationships, but I understand them.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:15 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
What pays for the $10M+ facilities (and that's before land cost)? Who pays for the personnel? Who pays for the technician training? Tools? This wouldn't be *free* to the manufacturers anymore than it is to the dealers.

Did any of you realize that dealers make 1% to 4% net on total sales? The ROI is fine if you're selling the right brand, doing many things right, the product cycle is new, and you're jumping through all the manufacturer hoops to earn incentive money. If not, you can lose money hand over fist.
Acoording to the NADA, dealerships make 44% of their profit from service. I'm sure the traditional manufacturers wouldn't mind getting that piece of the pie back. New car sales is 30% (which includes financing and leasing profits) and the remainder is from used car sales. Let's say hypothetically manufacturers were allowed to sell directly to consumers, I don't expect the big 3 to drop MSRP to invoice, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Korean manufacturers did which eventually would affect the domestics and eventually the luxury market to some extent.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:38 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Acoording to the NADA, dealerships make 44% of their profit from service. I'm sure the traditional manufacturers wouldn't mind getting that piece of the pie back. New car sales is 30% (which includes financing and leasing profits) and the remainder is from used car sales. Let's say hypothetically manufacturers were allowed to sell directly to consumers, I don't expect the big 3 to drop MSRP to invoice, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Korean manufacturers did which eventually would affect the domestics and eventually the luxury market to some extent.
Net Profit or Net Income is 1-4% of gross sales. Stating NADA averages for departmental sales mix is irrelevant to the larger point made.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
What's logic have anything to do with this?

Most folks here don't have enough facts to even begin to apply logic.
Hard to apply logic when the topic is:

Buying from dealerships: Such a great idea, government has to force consumers to do it!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:09 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
I had to sign a right of first refusal for 1 year after purchase on my 458 Spider.

I don't foresee Porsche doing the same.
Had to do the same thing on my Mclaren 675LT
Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I really hope you're right and I'll buy you a beer if it happens, but I'm not all that confident. I'm going to wait it out until next spring before moving on to another brand.

Over dinner tonight, I tried to explain the Porsche allocation process to my wife. She listened quietly as I explained how it was unclear whether Porsche would agree to take $200,000 from us, and then said 'f them, just go buy something else...'
Not sure what brand you'd go to, but I haven't had the greatest experience with McLaren either. It's more of the same.. but worse. Since the cars depreciate like a rock. Ferrari? Well, nowadays, to get a car you have to buy another ferrari (California, 458, or Used FF) and sell it back to the dealer at a low *** price, so they make some profit and give you the allocation magically or you're forced to take whatever showroom 488GTB they have.

I'm actually new to the Porsche brand within the last year, but the cars are much better quality and technically to me that I will endure the retardedness of the GT allocation mess.. because it simply happens at every other brand...

EXCEPT maybe Lambo. But last I checked, I haven't seen many lambos flying around Sonoma with me recently (caveat that I have not driven nor seen the Performante Huracan)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
There is another aspect of the dealer allocation issue that should be addressed regarding flippers versus long term customers. Service after the sale. I have purchased 7 Porsches from my dealer over the years, and all of my maintenance gets done at their facility. I track my cars, change oil every couple of thousand miles along with brake fluid, brakes, misc. consumables, roll bar and seat installs, clear bra, alignments, exhaust systems, tires, etc., etc. Literally 10's of thousands of dollars. I know I can get it done cheaper from Indies, but I stick with the dealer because of warranty, and yes, consideration for new purchases. My patronage should count for something!
This. Dealer relationships mean a lot. I usually stick to one dealer. They treat me well. Drive my car to me, transport my car (McLaren) to the track after track inspection etc. My Porsche dealer (livermore) has been doing the same. Transports me (50+ miles) to and from dealer or pickup/drops my car off from my house. Has given me loaners for 1-2 days while my car is being worked on.. at a different shop (paint correction/clear bra)... All that stuff added value to the relationship. That I service my cars at the one dealership matters as well - they make money off of that as well. Problem is.. some dealers are not loyal to you even if you do do this.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
Hard to apply logic when the topic is:

Buying from dealerships: Such a great idea, government has to force consumers to do it!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 AM
ricsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 911R was a fish hook in the market.
If they really want to stop the speculation they can increase the production for each model and so the game is over.
No, they did a new GT3 with manual gearbox and probably with touring packet.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Net Profit or Net Income is 1-4% of gross sales. Stating NADA averages for departmental sales mix is irrelevant to the larger point made.
Your point was (paraphrasing) "who's going to spend millions to build a facility and hire people to work at that facility [if manufacturers sell directly to consumers]". My point is that a significant portion of profit (not gross income) comes from servicing sold vehicles and the manufacturers would not have a problem building service and delivery stores (not needing full blown dealerships that exist today).
Old 05-30-2017, 02:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Porsche sells to 200 dealers now. Anyone know what it would take to sell to 200,000+ customers?? Porsche's sales would drop 40% overnight without dealers and showrooms.

So some of you guys are suggesting turning a whole MULTI BILLION $$$$ industry upside down because 1,000 or less forum guys can't get a car today at MSRP?

That's the most logical solution?? I hope you don't think this way in your careers.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Porsche sells to 200 dealers now. Anyone know what it would take to sell to 200,000+ customers?? Porsche's sales would drop 40% overnight without dealers and showrooms.

So some of you guys are suggesting turning a whole MULTI BILLION $$$$ industry upside down because 1,000 or less forum guys can't get a car today at MSRP?

That's the most logical solution?? I hope you don't think this way in your careers.
Or more importantly, anyone know what it's like to sell in 50 states, each with their own set of consumer rights and laws? Especially as it relates to financing, disclosure requirements, etc.?

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?