Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 02:04 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I think Ferrari runs a tight ship. PCNA can't even manage a mailing list.

If they had any brains, they'd have detailed info on all their buyers and market/take better care of them. Right now, they have no clue who anyone is really unless you're a 918 VIP.

So they're going to put together a GT flipper task force? Maybe Martin can head it. Flip a car, and lose a finger or kidney?

Attachment 1169885

Their take >> Why let the flippers make all the $$?? Better to let the dealers profit with ADM's. The author should have asked that question.

What if one sells a car they paid $20K-$50K over MSRP for?? They off the hook then? Instead of speculator you're labeled sucker??

I'm down....PCNA, I'm ready to accept this position....PM me for my resume.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:07 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I really wish they eliminated dealers spec'ing their own cars and trying to sell at a made up "market" price. Also, I know for a fact there were several buyers/flippers who bought 2 or more RSs and flipped them for an instant profit buying from 2 different dealers. I hope that dealers who have good customers sell their cars for MSRP first. If those customer flip the cars for a quick profit then the dealership can black ball them from getting a future GT allocation.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Over dinner tonight, I tried to explain the Porsche allocation process to my wife. She listened quietly as I explained how it was unclear whether Porsche would agree to take $200,000 from us, and then said 'f them, just go buy something else...'
My wife had the EXACT same reaction albeit I had this conversation with her a month ago. If Porsche isn't careful they're going to start bleeding customers to other brands.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,241 Likes on 610 Posts

As a dealer I can say if I was allocated more cars then that would solve the problems on my
End, from my customer's end etc.

If I had 30 GT3's, I'd still be short. Our allocations are based off how many 911's we sell- not the previously mentioned Cayenne or Panamera sales.

Our allocation system is very biased towards big dealers and as a small dealer, I am hosed/ unable to satisfy demand. Therefore some of my v070 customers won't get a car, or will wimp out and to avoid not getting said car, go pay a ridiculous Adm to an already big store.

porsche insiders (other dealers, reps, etc) have suggested:

Well, it will take time- you're young. Just sell your Macans.

Sell more used cars.

Why not call around and see if any dealers have a GT3 slot allocated but no customers?

Feel lucky you are not a Maserati dealer, nobody wants their stuff

Just charge what you can and it will seem like you are selling more cars that way...

Sweet.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:05 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I really hope you're right and I'll buy you a beer if it happens, but I'm not all that confident. I'm going to wait it out until next spring before moving on to another brand.
Meh it's the hot car right now and everyone wants one. Have your dealership put you on the list for the 992 gt3 too, if you don't get this one, you'll get one of those. No biggie.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:12 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

They need to hurry up and release the GT2RS, GT3RS, and GT4/RS at the same time so we can chop up the hysteria. haha
Old 05-27-2017, 03:13 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
They need to hurry up and release the GT2RS, GT3RS, and GT4/RS at the same time so we can chop up the hysteria. haha
+1
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Problem with this is when they start building these other cars, potential of less .2GT3's being built do to less space on the line.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:12 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Public Porsche auctions for all allocations + no dealers (primary 'flippers') = no flipping and everyone gets the car they want when they want it if prepared to pay the market price.

Flipping only exists in restricted markets -- where some classes of market agents (dealers, VIPs, 'good' customers, etc.) have better access to the market (and at 'subsidized' prices, to boot) than everyone else. Remove these restrictions and all incentives for flipping will disappear. This also puts 100% of the profits in Porsche's hands where they can best support even better GT cars in the future.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:30 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

There is another aspect of the dealer allocation issue that should be addressed regarding flippers versus long term customers. Service after the sale. I have purchased 7 Porsches from my dealer over the years, and all of my maintenance gets done at their facility. I track my cars, change oil every couple of thousand miles along with brake fluid, brakes, misc. consumables, roll bar and seat installs, clear bra, alignments, exhaust systems, tires, etc., etc. Literally 10's of thousands of dollars. I know I can get it done cheaper from Indies, but I stick with the dealer because of warranty, and yes, consideration for new purchases. My patronage should count for something!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

So all this dealer bashing. Not that I'm a fan of dealers but who here who bought their GT 911 for msrp would not resell it at the time you decided to sell at market if market was over msrp?

What at fair is fair. If you would sell over msrp, and I bet every one of you would to a man don't bitch when others do.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
So all this dealer bashing. Not that I'm a fan of dealers but who here who bought their GT 911 for msrp would not resell it at the time you decided to sell at market if market was over msrp?

What at fair is fair. If you would sell over msrp, and I bet every one of you would to a man don't bitch when others do.
If it guaranteed me future allocations I would have no problem doing this. I will be surprised if others don't feel this way. I buy my cars to drive and enjoy not to profit. Take away the angst and time involved to get GT allocations and I would happily do this
Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

“I personally like to see my cars being used. That’s what we build them for. They are just too good to be left to stand and collect dust."

Andreas Preuninger

I am trying, Andreas. Just need a little sunshine this weekend!
Old 05-27-2017, 10:21 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Another devils advocate point - we all enjoy the anti-depreciation of these GT cars. If they made millions of them - they would drop like rocks.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:27 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

He is a great politician. Tell people what they want to hear and do something different. They know exactly what has been going on.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?