Sponsored by:

GT3.2 Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 748 Posts

Thank you very much for posting Nur!

Still faster then and GT3RS on either tire then.
Looks like the GT2RS will beat it but will cost double.

The GT R is a Bargain at GT3 pricing.
Much more entertaining and better value for the occasional track guy.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Reading the above it does not sound to me like Mercedes used the "new" version of the Sport Cup 2 at all. Instead it sounds like an option tire that's tuned to virtually ignore streetability. Wider, higher and narrower temperature operating range, run flat... to me that says ride comfort, wet performance, cool weather performance and tread life are all compromised.

As a result the tire is nearly 1 second per minute faster, for a likely 6 second advantage on the 'Ring. Nice data to have, and thanks for posting, but my takeaway is that Porsche should start selling Hoosiers at the dealer to level the playing field... Which in not a terrible idea actually. I'd love for Michelin to work up 2 compounds, one for autocross and the other for the big track, with comfort and wet performance thrown out the window...

With that in mind: per the above the AMG GT R is faster than both the GT3 and the 918, and I completely agree*. I wonder how Porsche will respond?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'd take issue with 7:1 as well; really need to isolate where you're losing the mass.

PCCBs save 37 lbs (new) when you consider the weight of the pads. More like 30 lbs average with both rotors half worn, and the gyroscopic effect is less because the iron rotors are smaller diameter. I did a write up here a while back that's relevant. The whole thread is best to read for context, but this post crystallizes the issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8759...l#post12319468
Thanks Pete. Great post on the small PCCB differences. Further validation of my decision to spend my money on track days, not on PCCBs.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take issue with 7:1 as well; really need to isolate where you're losing the mass.
I think 5:1 is a common approximation, and times all 4 wheels... you get 20:1 in total... maybe that was where the erroneous ratio came from. But definitely depends on how far from the center... lighter tires make a bigger difference than lighter lug bolts.

Originally Posted by Nur93
Amg supertest from sport auto, If you like info on this tire Please read- they cover a thing or 2 on the tire..
Damn, great info... worth ~6 seconds on a Ring lap.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The GT R is a Bargain at GT3 pricing.
Agreed, pending confirmation both of resale and durability on the track, especially with cooling issues as so many modern force-fed cars seem to have issue with. Here on CotA, I've seen just about every high end car imaginable succumb to heat one way or another, except for modern Porsches... and maybe miatas. ;-)

Reading the above it does not sound to me like Mercedes used the "new" version of the Sport Cup 2 at all.
Agreed, it's a specific spec for that car... not a new "general production" tire for use on any car. Porsche could do the same moving forward, with their "N spec" ratings... such as a new SC2 "N2R" compound or similar.

With that in mind: per the above the AMG GT R is faster than both the GT3 and the 918, and I completely agree*. I wonder how Porsche will respond?
When Porsche released this new GT3 lap with such a large differential over the previous version and the GT3RS, my immediate thoughts were:
  1. They are raising the bar to becme more competitive with the cars of other manufacturers, which are getting very quick.
  2. With the FeFi in question, the GT3RS also needs to step up the game a bit to fill in that upper echelon of performance.
  3. Moreso, they are also raising the bar internally to make room for a faster GT4 product that isn't right up next to the GT3, but still competitive in the marketplace.
  4. Plus, higher performance justifies higher pricing across the board.

Originally Posted by Drifting
Thanks Pete. Great post on the small PCCB differences. Further validation of my decision to spend my money on track days, not on PCCBs.
Also interesting, even Porsche Corporate like AP is publicly suggesting that for track use, get the Steels...
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

technical info regarding the lambo aero solution...

interesting points:
-they use a tiny electric valve flap which opens and closes to stall the airflow to the wing, which is vastly lighter and more efficient than using hydraulics to move the entire wing or front spoiler.
-they say that they can reduce the amount of steering input by effectively squashing the inside of the car down during turns

small valve flaps inside the rear wing and front spoiler can quickly increase downforce and drag, or close to stall the wing and reduce downforce and drag.

same happens in the front, without the use of complicated and heavy hydraulics to move large bodyparts like other manufacturers. they use a tiny valve to manage airflow instead.. surprisingly understated and smart on the part of lamborghini.

variable left to right control on the rear helps the car stay flatter in corners, and lamborghini says reduce the amount of steering input.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Lap was on the new option tire corsa N0, wich is only developed to set faster Times' on lap and to provide better braking on track. Poor M4 GTS, It lap when 30+ temp, even Christian told in sport auto It did suffer due to that(2xturbo)
anyway this Porsche got perfect 14 degree temp. Guys, there is a reason factory always lap in early mornings/cold air and at best temp
Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,880 Likes on 2,769 Posts

That is Fast!
Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Cool air -> More downforce

Ive heard that when they run the 991 GT3 RS it was so hot that they where afraid that the car would take off.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
Also interesting, even Porsche Corporate like AP is publicly suggesting that for track use, get the Steels...
Despite what AP may or may not say...Porsche sets all of their best Nurburgring lap times on PCCB (see above), all of the 991.2 GT3 at press track events have PCCB, all of the GT cars I have seen/driven at PEC had PCCB...
Old 05-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Yes, its was accually also 30 degrees. Even It suffer but not as much as 2x turbo M4 GTS (source sport auto)
Originally Posted by Kobalt

Ive heard that when they run the 991 GT3 RS it was so hot that they where afraid that the car would take off.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

I did just now drive my friend new carrera S, It its nice as you can not feel thats a turbo car. But its not the racecar feel you get in GTS. Still its an normal street Porsche, dang I like the new steerinwheel
I want my GT3 gen 2 now Please ..
Old 05-11-2017, 04:11 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
I did just now drive my friend new carrera S, It its nice as you can not feel thats a turbo car. But its not the racecar feel you get in GTS. Still its an normal street Porsche, dang I like the new steerinwheel
I want my GT3 gen 2 now Please ..
Do you have an allocation? Damn im looking forward to see you lapping that car on the norschleife!!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

I have been on that list long, but its no luck yet. I am sure It will be 2018. I am sure It will be fun driving a stick shift again👍🏻
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt

Not sure if you're serious? If so someone was pulling your leg.

A 50 degree F increase in temperature has the same effect on air density as a ~2500 ft increase in altitude. This hurts downforce slightly but the bigger impact is on engine power (both air in the cylinder and effective compression ratio are reduced) and tire temperature.

Airplane wings work the same as car wings. When air temperature increases landing speeds get fractionally higher (as with altitude) but the plane isn't going to drop out of the sky. I can image the car feeling lighter over rises it was previously nailed down to, but in reality the effect would be fractional.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Not sure if you're serious?
not about the take off

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Nordschleife