Sponsored by:

GT3.2 Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Torque and power curves previously posted put the .2 4.0 and .1 4.0 nearly identical. My guess is the great Ring time was due to perfect conditions which the RS did not have, less aero on the .2 so less drag (Ring is very high speed circuit) and new Cup 2's.

Evo's non Ring track times put the two cars within 2 tenths of second.
please pass the kool aid...
Old 05-05-2017, 03:00 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am wondering how much better .2 GT3 time would be over the .1GT3RS if GT3 was dressed up with same tire size. Another 2-3sec?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Jackets911
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

I would agree...to me it's simply odd to see such a quantum leap with the stated specs of the cars being reasonably close. I would like to see this repeated or see the same driver under reasonably similar conditions run with a .1, .2 and RS with verified dyno outputs and equivalent tires.

The engineer in me would like to see the data or design/tuning parameters explained that have yielded such a large improvement. Hard to interpret or analyze anything with little detail and a one test experiment.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
pete - my guess is that the best explanation would be that this engine IS actually more powerful than they are rating it, or to be more precise, the new engine is even more under-rated than the last one...

will be interesting to see dyno outputs... once again, hard to know for sure with so many interceding variables not controlled as to what is driving lap time differentials
Old 05-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Lars Kern is as I understand since last year new Porsche development driver. Taking Timo Klucks jobb since then.
I am not surpised this car is fast, also as others also mention nur is a faster track today. Very much the fast flugplatz-swedenX section as Grants picture show. Lars also drove the slightly tuned(not engine, only camber, tire, KW etc) by manthey tuned GT4 10 sec. faster than Porsche stock factory GT4 time.

The vanila 991 gen2 GTS was it not lappning 7.22 min in Porsche factory hands. Thats 2 seconds shy on 991 RS. Mind you 991 RS had a few damp areas on track when Timo Kluck set 7.20min lap.

Oh, MB AMG GT-R is way faster than this new GT3. Remember its 7.11 lap was no factory lap, Hence Mercedes use sport autos lap time from Christian G to market their car. Quit bold and I must say fair! For sure the MB factory got way faster laptime in the car than the 7.11 sport auto time. But to my knowledge they never let any time out.

I guess the manual GT3 will be 5-8 seconds slower than PDK on nur. Nothing but a blunt guess.

I am waiting for this car but no luck yet, I guess 2018 then..
Old 05-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, very optimal conditions. And thats not luck, all factory know fastest laps are in these conditions. Mind you sport auto test on 991 RS was worst ever, it was 30+ degrees. Same when Sport auto did M4 GTS lap, 30+.

Then again factory also only do one lap on the tire. And they keep doing that to they get a fast lap.

Sport auto not like that, thats why MB Amg GT-R LAP at 7.11min is the real world test and cool of MB to let that market their car and not the factory time like Porsche and others use.

Originally Posted by rsierra
Conditions look optimal, I had my best times in the RS on a 45-50 degree F morning, sport cups have plenty of grip at those temps.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:44 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

@Nur93 -How much faster do you think the ring is now compared to pre-changes?

Oh and I hope you get an allocation.. looking forward to your lap videos,
Old 05-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
Lars Kern is as I understand since last year new Porsche development driver. Taking Timo Klucks jobb since then.
I am not surpised this car is fast, also as others also mention nur is a faster track today. Very much the fast flugplatz-swedenX section as Grants picture show. Lars also drove the slightly tuned(not engine, only camber, tire, KW etc) by manthey tuned GT4 10 sec. faster than Porsche stock factory GT4 time.
Where is that 'Oh no, not this **** again' meme when ya need it...

FFS, that Manthey car was not a near stock GT4 with a few tweaks. It had over $10k of aftermarket suspension and other parts, that easily accounted for the time delta.

And I don't know Lars from a hole in the wall, but I'd be shocked if there is a driver on the planet that could run the Ring in a Porsche materially quicker than Timo Kluck. His Ring times are typically faster than anyone else in the same car. Nobody's taking the same car and knocking 10 seconds off Timo Kluck's best time.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
The driver had an artisanal beard for the RS run, and had a heavier Rolex. For the .2 GT3 run he barely had a moustache, was wearing a gen 1 Fitbit HR, and was also going commando.
You forgot to mention that the .2 GT3 driver was on a strict diet losing 20 pounds and took a big dump that morning while the .1 GT3 driver was force fed a huge breakfast.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Old 05-05-2017, 07:17 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
You forgot to mention that the .2 GT3 driver was on a strict diet losing 20 pounds and took a big dump that morning while the .1 GT3 driver was force fed a huge breakfast.
That was a grave miss on my part. I appreciate the correction.

I remember reading a Danish fly fishing blog that mentioned the above information was noted in the May edition of Architectural Digest. Or maybe it was Shape magazine... Anyway... Apparently it was a pancake breakfast... whipped cream and a side of bacon. Heavy, thick-cut bacon. The grease also affected his grip on the wheel and the gluten dulled his reactions. He didn't stand a chance...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Best laptimes aren't set in auto.
But more importantly, is it worth you testing this theory for the 991.2GT3 on the Ring this year? I hear autumn is lovely.

Originally Posted by Petevb
The only way it doesn't make significantly more power everywhere is because that's the way they want it.
Exactly. Because Porsche. I've always respected their engineering, but damn, their marketing/product strategy dept is even more impressive.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93

The vanila 991 gen2 GTS was it not lappning 7.22 min in Porsche factory hands. Thats 2 seconds shy on 991 RS. Mind you 991 RS had a few damp areas on track when Timo Kluck set 7.20min lap.

Oh, MB AMG GT-R is way faster than this new GT3. Remember its 7.11 lap was no factory lap, Hence Mercedes use sport autos lap time from Christian G to market their car. Quit bold and I must say fair! For sure the MB factory got way faster laptime in the car than the 7.11 sport auto time. But to my knowledge they never let any time out.

I guess the manual GT3 will be 5-8 seconds slower than PDK on nur. Nothing but a blunt guess.

I am waiting for this car but no luck yet, I guess 2018 then..
911 GTS was turning a 7:26, wasn't it? Also, where is the extra horsepower coming from in the MB? Those two points aside, I agree with you that it would help for MB to have a professional take the car around to find out what the real time was.

I'm still looking to hear anyone's thoughts on the difference in time the repaving gives. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is like a reconfigured track but it certainly makes the times apples to oranges.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

It will be interesting if they don't get a similarly spectacular time with the RS.2

The tough part is once they go faster, and the leap is huge like this time, they can't undo it... and they always have to outdo themselves.

It's quite likely though that with the new ring layout being faster, that we'll see similarly huge leaps with other brands.. as an example, look at the Lamborghini Performante time handily beating the 918...
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Impressive lap - very smooth - Impressive car
Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

EVO also got .2 to run impressive time at Angelsey track. Seems like lots of improvements so looking forward to tracking it.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Nordschleife