Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

That guy is Manu (manuma here and powerslidelover in youtube) he is pretty fast everywhere, but he is a great amateur driver, but not even a regular on Nurburgring and still he is faster than pretty much everyone with a gt3, out the record lap.

P.S. If someone is worth a follow on Instagram and youtube is this guy, he always has extraordinary sideway footage with the craziest cars.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:51 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

porsche gt division marketing spin in high gear

these times are not controlled with the cars and drivers and conditions and tires on an apples to apples basis - take all with many grains of salt... classic product marketing brilliance letting those who want to believe believe what they want and getting lots of publicity in the process
Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
porsche gt division marketing spin in high gear

these times are not controlled with the cars and drivers and conditions and tires on an apples to apples basis - take all with many grains of salt... classic product marketing brilliance letting those who want to believe believe what they want and getting lots of publicity in the process
Take all that conspiracy theories and what do you have? What are you doubting?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Take all that conspiracy theories and what do you have? What are you doubting?
you're kidding right? noob
Old 05-04-2017, 07:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Ring is slightly improved.

But this is evolution. Cars are getting better and faster.
To knock 15sec of a 997rs4.0 is nothing short of amazing. Even if track is slightly faster and tires have a little more grip.
That's what 6 years of development does.
Big thumbs up for the AP team with this new 991.2gt3.
Can't wait to drive one.
Can only imagine what the gt2rs will be like. 918 times might be in range.
I want to know how much improved, someone needs to grab a 4.0, 991.1RS and 991.2GT3 and show what's what.

If the car is not cheater, this is very impressive. Ring improved or not.

Originally Posted by RennOracle
That guy is Manu (manuma here and powerslidelover in youtube) he is pretty fast everywhere, but he is a great amateur driver, but not even a regular on Nurburgring and still he is faster than pretty much everyone with a gt3, out the record lap.

P.S. If someone is worth a follow on Instagram and youtube is this guy, he always has extraordinary sideway footage with the craziest cars.
Yes, he likes the rear loose!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 661 Likes on 345 Posts

Seems like you either trust all of Porsche's published 'ring times or you don't trust any of them. I guess many people are disappointed that it's faster than the .1 GT3 and even the .1 RS given the weird promotion of the 7:29 time...
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I want to know how much improved, someone needs to grab a 4.0, 991.1RS and 991.2GT3 and show what's what.

If the car is not cheater, this is very impressive. Ring improved or not.Yes, he likes the rear loose!

That would be epic. Same tires, stock cars with good setup.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I see no reason to invoke conspiracy with this new time. I figure a 1% improvement in power to weight ratio is worth about a bit under .2% laptime reduction at the Ring, so the power bump is worth over ~3 seconds. Tires have been dropping laptime at nearly .3% per year- a further ~5 seconds. Together this leaves just a ~4 second gap to close.

Porsche has done two revs of this platform between the first GT3 and this one, the GT3 RS and the R. One assumes they learned a thing or two about setup, rear wheel steering and shift times, particularly since this was all virgin territory when the 991.1 was released. Then consider that the increased downforce came with no drag penalty (courtesy of the R's under-body development I'm sure)- more time there. Put in some reasonable time assumptions for these improvements and you're easily within a second or two- within the margin of repeat-ability or a slightly improved track.

Overall I think people are surprised largely because the 991.1 RS didn't do better, but there are two likely explanations for that time. First, I'm sure didn't fully reflect what the car was capable of, and second the RS's wide body and heavy aero isn't all that suited to the 'ring. Take that time out and the 991.2's time is right on top of where we'd expect it. Far better than previous mid-cycle updates to be sure, but that's likely reflective of the clear increase in development resources on display these days (new engine, 2 new models, new underbody aero, etc).

My rule of thumb is that 'Ring times are dropping at ~3 seconds per year, so I'm simply glad they put in the effort rather than phoning it in...
Old 05-04-2017, 08:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Nice result and it now proves without a doubt that yellow is faster than white.
That's what I've always said. That's why it's called Racing Yellow.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I see no reason to invoke conspiracy with this new time. I figure a 1% improvement in power to weight ratio is worth about a bit under .2% laptime reduction at the Ring, so the power bump is worth over ~3 seconds. Tires have been dropping laptime at nearly .3% per year- a further ~5 seconds. Together this leaves just a ~4 second gap to close.

Porsche has done two revs of this platform between the first GT3 and this one, the GT3 RS and the R. One assumes they learned a thing or two about setup, rear wheel steering and shift times, particularly since this was all virgin territory when the 991.1 was released. Then consider that the increased downforce came with no drag penalty (courtesy of the R's under-body development I'm sure)- more time there. Put in some reasonable time assumptions for these improvements and you're easily within a second or two- within the margin of repeat-ability or a slightly improved track.

Overall I think people are surprised largely because the 991.1 RS didn't do better, but there are two likely explanations for that time. First, I'm sure didn't fully reflect what the car was capable of, and second the RS's wide body and heavy aero isn't all that suited to the 'ring. Take that time out and the 991.2's time is right on top of where we'd expect it. Far better than previous mid-cycle updates to be sure, but that's likely reflective of the clear increase in development resources on display these days (new engine, 2 new models, new underbody aero, etc).

My rule of thumb is that 'Ring times are dropping at ~3 seconds per year, so I'm simply glad they put in the effort rather than phoning it in...
Thank you for your thoughts. Very enlightening... IMO, it's great to have you posting & sharing..
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Thank you for your thoughts. Very enlightening... IMO, it's great to have you posting & sharing..
+1 It all makes sense.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Just imagine what sort of time they would have run in a white one.

Last edited by robmypro; 05-05-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:08 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
you're kidding right? noob
Still, you are talking out of your @rse. The time is nothing crazy, it's sensible, the track alone after the work is a lot faster, tires are a better rework version of the mpsc2. Hell, if they lapped the 991 Gt3RS again, with this new tires and on the 'new' track it might be faster than this one.

But tell me, what do you really think they did? Slicks? Added some KW coilovers? Forgot what engine should go in and added the GT2RS engine? THis is not properly a turbo car that you can do a 'lap' map without no one noticing, this is a low displacement NA engine. The adjustments that they did to the suspension are the ones that everyone should do before going to track in the limits available. Tires are pretty much the best street option (some might say Trofeo R are better).

Want to go on the weight route? How much weight really do you think they could shove out with the inside cam showing an oem interior, minus the seat. It has a roll cage. Lexi rear windows? Maybe, how many seconds tho?

Your suspiciousness, until now has no reason to exist other than to be a contrarian.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by Petevb

The RS presents more drag than a GT3 and actually has 'too much' downforce for it's own good.

But the 991 RS would need the new mpsc2 N1 and the 'faster track' your calculations are not that far, so 6 seconds from 2015 to 2017 on the track and 2 on the tires, this lap time would be possible. Aero upgrades and who knows.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 308 Posts

Bet RS on its stock tires beats this time.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Nordschleife