Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3.2 Nordschleife

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I would not dare to guess, thing is no matter its for sure faster Its nothing I could accually take advantage of. What I mean by that is I these days only hit a few laps one time of a year. It do not help us then. On the otherhand If you lap this track like every now and then like them development/racteam driver you you will easy take advantage of this.

thanks man, damn I would also want this to happen, I would have a stick only for the superior workout Sweet It give you on the Ring vs PDK. And the matcho factor:-), its harder to go fast with a stick, very much on nur. That challenge is fun:-)

Originally Posted by RealityGT
@Nur93 -How much faster do you think the ring is now compared to pre-changes?

Oh and I hope you get an allocation.. looking forward to your lap videos,
Old 05-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

I know 911 gen2 GTS Is 0,5 seconds faster around short hockenheim than 991 GT3 RS(same driver)

I recall 911 GTS was only 2 sec slower than 991 GT3 RS on Nurburgring. (Factory 7.22 for 911 GTS vs 7.20 RS)

Originally Posted by enduro911
911 GTS was turning a 7:26, wasn't it? Also, where is the extra horsepower coming from in the MB? Those two points aside, I agree with you that it would help for MB to have a professional take the car around to find out what the real time was.

I'm still looking to hear anyone's thoughts on the difference in time the repaving gives. I wouldn't go so far as to say this is like a reconfigured track but it certainly makes the times apples to oranges.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:33 AM
Kaizu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
Sport auto not like that, thats why MB Amg GT-R LAP at 7.11min is the real world test and cool of MB to let that market their car and not the factory time like Porsche and others use.
Only problem with GTR 7.11 lap was that Sport Auto mentions the tires they used are special Cup2 tires that are more like slicks and cost 3950 EUR a set according to their article.

The car is significantly slower with ordinary Cup2s the car comes with.

And you cannot spec the special Cup2s for the car easily. Same with Lambo Huracan Performante. Record time was driven with special Trofeo Rs, but if you see the catalogs, only PZero Corsa is offered.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Yes, I know about these tires. But me personally dont see It as a issu at all If its stock with the car. Like you can accually order them. As I understan you can do that.

As I recall even the Corvette Z06 use somthing simular in tire compound like Amg did.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:28 AM
fun2k
Racer

[QUOTE=Nur93;14164124]Yes, I know about these tires. But me personally dont see It as a issu at all If its stock with the car. Like you can accually order them. As I understan you can do that.

As I recall even the Corvette Z06 use somthing simular in tire compound like Amg did.

I have the same tyre in my z06 from factory and the lateral grip (off throttle) is unmatched on the road at least (haven't tracked with them) compared to my gt3.

On throttle they are completely opposite to the gt3, i guess 650 ft lb torque will do that to any car. Visually the rear tyres look closer to slicks compared to gt3 michelin rears. Also they are run flats zp tyres.

Z07 track guys please chime in here??? Don't worry we're not looking for a "heated debate" (pun absolutely intended)
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Seems like a stock tire for the car. I am sure we will see this compound to reach out to the others, If thats not the case alredy. That big development cost would not be taken If this compound only should reach the GT-R. My guess anyway. Michelins market people is not different to other market people. I mean we read this and think, wow. But its accually what they said before about cup tires. Sure its progress in cars, but also tire. So pretty soon all ride this compound i guess?

What cup tire is on Porsche new GT3 car? Anybody know?

http://www.michelin.com/eng/media-ro...cedes-AMG-GT-R
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Looks like same tire on these 2 cars. Not only size but same cup tire.

[QUOTE=fun2k;14164320]
Yes, I know about these tires. But me personally dont see It as a issu at all If its stock with the car. Like you can accually order them. As I understan you can do that.

I have the same tyre in my z06 from factory and the lateral grip (off throttle) is unmatched on the road at least (haven't tracked with them) compared to my gt3.

On throttle they are completely opposite to the gt3, i guess 650 ft lb torque will do that to any car. Visually the rear tyres look closer to slicks compared to gt3 michelin rears. Also they are run flats zp tyres.

Z07 track guys please chime in here??? Don't worry we're not looking for a "heated debate" (pun absolutely intended)
Seems to be same tire or what do you think?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:24 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I think two sets of tires are available. When car manufacturers play games like this, I have no respect for their cars.

1. The regular Cup 2 tires available from tire dealers.
2. The special compound Cup 2 tires that were used to set the lap time are only available from Mercedes dealers for 3,950 EUR.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

This tire Is the new standard cup tire, (lets play with that thought) It will soon be on all cars. At a limited time Mercedes can ask this but in the near future I guess not. This tire is on the vette alredy, and soon everywhere

michelin and mb talk lound about a special developed tire for the Amg GT-R, and sure the worked in pair. Like this is more marketing than anything Porsche(they are also god on marketing)
anyway now all talk about this magic tire...but is this not the new normal cup tire that take over from cup2(we can play with that thought)

I recall a simular thing in the past, cup 1 to cup 2
:-)
this magic tire alredy sit stock on the vette, and many more to come i guess.
what ever the marketing game tell us about this magic tire, It will be like always. The big part of the average joes that drive this tire in the future vs the old cup2 will not even make a difference around any given track that trackday.
Then there are a few that will, If the track is Free of cars, and all other factors is sweetspoot(like they never are:-)

ahh, just Looking at this in another way..
Old 05-06-2017, 11:41 AM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
I think two sets of tires are available. When car manufacturers play games like this, I have no respect for their cars.

1. The regular Cup 2 tires available from tire dealers.
2. The special compound Cup 2 tires that were used to set the lap time are only available from Mercedes dealers for 3,950 EUR.
Remember the Nissan GT-R Nismo
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

At least it sounds like you can buy the tires, though I agree it'll tilt comparison tests in Mercedes' favor until they become available on other cars.

Back in 2000 I ran the "One Lap of America" race with a friend. Among the 100+ entrants were two tire test engineers from Michelin. They ran a Viper fitted with what appeared to be normal street tires everyone could buy, but had in fact come directly from Michelin. They destroyed the field, including other pro drivers in on paper faster vipers. The guess was those tires were worth over 2 seconds per lap...

Since then every set of tires used in One Lap must be bought at tire rack and come marked for the race.

Sounds like Mercedes may have picked up a similar trick. At 4k per set you might as well be using hand-cut Hoosiers.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
At least it sounds like you can buy the tires, though I agree it'll tilt comparison tests in Mercedes' favor until they become available on other cars.

Back in 2000 I ran the "One Lap of America" race with a friend. Among the 100+ entrants were two tire test engineers from Michelin. They ran a Viper fitted with what appeared to be normal street tires everyone could buy, but had in fact come directly from Michelin. They destroyed the field, including other pro drivers in on paper faster vipers. The guess was those tires were worth over 2 seconds per lap...

Since then every set of tires used in One Lap must be bought at tire rack and come marked for the race.

Sounds like Mercedes may have picked up a similar trick. At 4k per set you might as well be using hand-cut Hoosiers.
I think these were hand cut Michelin slicks. By the way, it is great to see you back.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Here was the Porsche tire i guess is on GT3, a futher improved tire vs previus.
If anything tilt comparison its Mb use slower sport auto driver vs Porsche factory driver.:-)
Mb factory driver have alredy Done a lap and its closer to the 7min mark.(but they dont let that out, they use sport auto to communicate their speed, wich is not all a bad idé. Its more the real world preformace)

(sport auto is always nowdays with Christian 7-8 seconds slower than factory in them faster cars It seems, like 991 GT3 RS etc.)

http://www.tyretrade.ie/index.php/mi...-911-gt3/16943
Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=fun2k;14164320]

The Cup2s that come on the Z06 are a special tire, specific to that car. They are very good, very fast on track, grip like crap on street...they need to be heated up. When I spoke with a Michelin engineer at BMW O'Fest at Laguna Seca last year, he told me GMs spec on this tire was one tank of gas! That's two track sessions ladies and gents! I've found that I can get about 4 track days out of a set. I will also note that at same event, my instructor that was driving a 991.1 GT3 was shocked at how much grip there was in the car/tire.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Yes, its the same special:-) tire (marketing, marketing)that are on Mb, specally developed for what car:-). Was It Corvette or Mb, o well its the same compound and more cars are to get this in near future i guess.
Its a damn grippy tire on the wette I also hear that👍🏻

[QUOTE=Hit Apex;14164518]
Originally Posted by fun2k

The Cup2s that come on the Z06 are a special tire, specific to that car. They are very good, very fast on track, grip like crap on street...they need to be heated up. When I spoke with a Michelin engineer at BMW O'Fest at Laguna Seca last year, he told me GMs spec on this tire was one tank of gas! That's two track sessions ladies and gents! I've found that I can get about 4 track days out of a set. I will also note that at same event, my instructor that was driving a 991.1 GT3 was shocked at how much grip there was in the car/tire.

Quick Reply: GT3.2 Nordschleife