Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I don’t get why Mclarens F1 cars are so awful. They can’t even figure out the aero, yet their road cars, Senna, 765LT, etc, basically spanks anything south of $1M.
Its apparent you don’t follow F1. Well ahead of Ferrari in constructor points this year with 1 race to go.
The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (12-19-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
Its apparent you don’t follow F1. Well ahead of Ferrari in constructor points this year with 1 race to go.
No, actually I do follow F1.

Saying you’re ahead of Ferrari in constructor points is sort of like saying you’re the tallest midget in the room.

Ferrari - that same F1 team with pit stops as fast as dripping molasses on a cold winter morning.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 12-10-2020 at 11:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
911Vintage (12-11-2020), sampelligrino (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:03 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Saying you’re ahead of Ferrari in constructor points is sort of like saying you’re the tallest midget in the room.

Ferrari - that same F1 team with pit stops as fast as dripping molasses on a cold winter morning.
They are making strides, especially over the last 3 prior years. Their drivers aren't the best either. Danny might help, but he's also not World Champ material in my opinion, as much as I like him.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:53 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

928cs (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 09:30 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
They are making strides, especially over the last 3 prior years. Their drivers aren't the best either. Danny might help, but he's also not World Champ material in my opinion, as much as I like him.
Next year the McClaren will have the Mercedes engine. Along with Danny Ric and Lando, they may wrll be vying for 2nd/3rd place in the Constuctor’s Championship.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
dmac (12-11-2020), rw99 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 09:56 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

MAC needs to figure out do they continue in F1 ......YTD F1 generated 98M with operating cost of 128M. Same time last year F1 generated 121M, and operating cost of 186M. With that said car sales generated 848M, and cleared 160M 19 margin selling 3306 cars. This year will lost money due to selling less than 900 cars due to Covid currently losing 127M.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:23 AM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on McLaren, but I do understand finance, and I think what most people are mis-understanding is just how hard it is to be successful as a large, small scale manufacture.

I 100% disagree that McLaren shouldn't focus on cranking out more cars, because fixed costs are so high in this industry. Machine/tooling, the over-the-top facility itself, but probably most importantly, is the extreme R&D required for each of their cars. They have no technology partners, no platform sharing, state of the art electro-mechnicals that has to be custom tailored for each iteration, as well as nearly completely new panels between a 720S and 765LT....it's pure lunacy to try and amortize those production and development costs over small scale production that is relative low margin.....increasing the margin slightly at the expense of volume, you are going backwards because the fixed-costs are just too high.

Koenigsegg and Pagani can do it, because the margins are astronomically high, and while develpoment costs are high, production costs are low (it's actually cheaper to handbuild rather than spend hundreds of millions on a production line if you're only cranking out a few cars per year).....McLaren is stuck in between.....

Secondly, suggesting they need more special cars is exactly what is annoying to their customer, because there is always a new special Mac....they've hurt their own pricing power....they can't exclusive themselves into higher margins, or at least high enough to offset the massive development costs of all these "special" versions.

In short, it's not the per/unit profitability that's an issue, it's the high-fixed cost (F1, factory, cutting edge tech development).

^^^ you can justify all of that if there was a path to being a lifestyle brand, or as the Gen Z'ers would call it "Community"....but there is nothing to lean on there.....even Aston can't get any more runway out of Bond at this point.....Ferrari is the only successful brand in the space.....Porsche and Lambo both enjoy technology and platform support from VW for cost-control "synergies" and the brand just increases the margin.

So....IMO, there is only 1 path here, and it's focus on what their best at. Carbon Fiber......be the premium carbon fiber supplier....private jets, golf clubs, boat decks....i honestly don't know....some of it is custom solutions sold as a supplier (outsourced technology partner), but other's is premium solutions for co-branded luxury lifestyle (Taylor Made drivers with McLaren CF)......the car business then has synergies....you reduce your amortized costs somewhat, you get higher margin business in the custom supplier space, you get branding royalty (and sales) in the premium supplier space....and this all goes to help drive volumes for the non-special cars, making the business overall more profitable, and actually then being able to reward strong customers with "special" cars at margins high enough to justify their differentiated development cost. (i.e. a 720S should cost about $350k and a 765LT should cost about $575k, and they should sell 4:1 ratio)

Without know much more, a possible add-on is partnering with BMW again, being a technical performance advisor and CF supplier, and letting BMW provide engines....don't know the backstory on the partnership, but this is easiest path to credibility given legendary Mac F1 = BMW engine. F1 racing should probably be abandoned, but under my suggestions, i think profitability actually would allow for it to continue if it's an ego thing....or in the world of going where your competitors ain't, McLaren NASCAR entry in 2023

^^^ there, fixed it for them.....i'll take a used 675LT as consulting fee

Last edited by atlrvr; 12-11-2020 at 11:39 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by atlrvr:
AllAboutThatP (12-11-2020), Guest89 (12-11-2020), heshalosny (12-11-2020), Maverick787 (12-11-2020), pdxjim (12-11-2020), PierreTT (12-11-2020), thebishman (12-12-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on McLaren, but I do understand finance, and I think what most people are mis-understanding is just how hard it is to be successful as a large, small scale manufacture.

I 100% disagree that McLaren shouldn't focus on cranking out more cars, because fixed costs are so high in this industry. Machine/tooling, the over-the-top facility itself, but probably most importantly, is the extreme R&D required for each of their cars. They have no technology partners, no platform sharing, state of the art electro-mechnicals that has to be custom tailored for each iteration, as well as nearly completely new panels between a 720S and 765LT....it's pure lunacy to try and amortize those production and development costs over small scale production that is relative low margin.....increasing the margin slightly at the expense of volume, you are going backwards because the fixed-costs are just too high.

Koenigsegg and Pagani can do it, because the margins are astronomically high, and while develpoment costs are high, production costs are low (it's actually cheaper to handbuild that spend hundreds of millions on a production line if you're only cranking out a few cars per year).....McLaren is stuck in between.....

Secondly, suggesting they need more special cars is exactly what is annoying to their customer, because there is always a new special Mac....they've hurt their own pricing power....they can't exclusive themselves into higher margins, or at least high enough to offset the massive development costs of all these "special" versions.

In short, it's not the per/unit profitability that's an issue, it's the high-fixed cost (F1, factory, cutting edge tech development).

^^^ you can justify all of that if there was a path to being a lifestyle brand, or as the Gen Z'ers would call it "Community"....but there is nothing to lean on there.....even Aston can't get any more runway out of Bond at this point.....Ferrari is the only successful brand in the space.....Porsche and Lambo both enjoy technology and platform support from VW for cost-control "synergies" and the brand just increases the margin.

So....IMO, there is only 1 path here, and it's focus on what their best at. Carbon Fiber......be the premium carbon fiber supplier....private jets, golf clubs, boat decks....i honestly don't know....some of it is custom solutions sold as a supplier (outsourced technology partner), but other's is premium solutions for co-branded luxury lifestyle (Taylor Made drivers with McLaren CF)......the car business then has synergies....you reduce your amortized costs somewhat, you get higher margin business in the custom supplier space, you get branding royalty (and sales) in the premium supplier space....and this all goes to help drive volumes for the non-special cars, making the business overall more profitable, and actually then being able to reward strong customers with "special" cars at margins high enough to justify their differentiated development cost. (i.e. a 720S should cost about $350k and a 765LT should cost about $575k, and they should sell 4:1 ratio)

Without know much more, a possible add-on is partnering with BMW again, being a technical performance advisor and CF supplier, and letting BMW provide engines....don't know the backstory on the partnership, but this is easiest path to credibility given legendary Mac F1 = BMW engine. F1 racing should probably be abandoned, but under my suggestions, i think profitability actually would allow for it to continue if it's an ego thing....or in the world of going where your competitors ain't, McLaren NASCAR entry in 2023

^^^ there, fixed it for them.....i'll take a used 675LT as consulting fee
Well said +1
cadster (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 11:55 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

I just sent atlrvrna friend request because he's wicked smart and I want to be notified when he posts. I don't even know what a friend request does.
cadster (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:57 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts
Default ~

Originally Posted by dmac
Building SUVs saved Porsche.....just sayin'

I had heard they were selling their real estate in a sale/lease back deal, but I didn't hear about this. Apparently the cash from the sale/leaseback wasn't enough capital to keep them going?
Originally Posted by Maverick787
Many forget the 90’s and the boxter was key. Porsche had one car the 911.
Boxster was the savior; Cayenne turned on the money spigot.

Originally Posted by Maverick787
yup less volume, but when you look at the financial statements the car division was profitable ......its F1 that’s the cash drain.
I don’t get why Mclarens F1 cars are so awful. They can’t even figure out the aero, yet their road cars, Senna, 765LT, etc, basically spanks anything south of $1M.
Originally Posted by fastmd

Originally Posted by Burren
McLaren is still digging out of the hole that came when they partnered with Honda. Don’t forget that Latifi Sr. owns ~10% of McLaren Group, so his son will likely be taking Lando’s seat in 2022 if his shares aren’t bought out.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:06 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I just sent atlrvrna friend request because he's wicked smart and I want to be notified when he posts. I don't even know what a friend request does.
Accepted...not sure now that we're friends if that obligates us to have beers over zoom once or month or something like that.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:37 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Bingo, can’t cut your way out that doesn’t cover all the cost. When they produced over 3000 cars they were profitable, and very close to 20% is not small margins. Well said by the way.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
Accepted...not sure now that we're friends if that obligates us to have beers over zoom once or month or something like that.
borrow money!!!
AlexCeres (12-21-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 06:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
borrow money!!!
Atlvrv loans money? Even better friend than I thought.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:47 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

$100k at 12% annual rate secured by a Speedster, absolutely I do!

Quick Reply: McLaren Success