Sponsored by:

McLaren Success

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:12 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Nope. I disagree. I see 3RS and 600LT on the same level and believe the RS is a better car. Many as do I would pick the RS over the 600LT and I do like the LT. Yes, the LT has more power and improved over the 570 S but its TT. Merely having a higher msrp doesn’t automatically put you a notch above at least in my book. A year or so from now .2 3RSs will likely be selling for more than LTs. Many head to head comparisons between the 3RS and 2RS had the 3RS being preferred even though the 2RS was faster. It’s more than just power in the end. The 3RS is that good despite being 160hp down vis a vis the 2RS. If the 3RS is being picked over the 2RS buy the likes of Evo anyone telling me the 600LT is better than the 3RS is blowing smoke up my ****. Sorry. Not buying it.

The Mac is cool. Yes. However, a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche and yes.. an RS is an RS. Further the RS has more than enough presence to match the LT in my eyes. Easy.

i think one can argue that if someone put a gun to your head and made you choose rs over lt- there really isn’t a wrong decision. I’d be happy to have either in my stable.

owned and rs so am very familiar with it and it’s an epic car. Have not driven an lt- looking forward to hopefully getting a chance to do so.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:16 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We're lucky to have such a variety of cars at this level. It's truly amazing to have so much to choose from. They're all different as they should be. Buy what suits you best. All cars will be a 'waste' of money no matter how you spin it. Stay healthy and be as happy as you can be. Happy Holidays all!

I love this thread as I've been driving porsches for the past 10 years. And I'm always loving the insight to the dark sides So thanks to all the Mac owners and to those that have driven them extensively to share your opinions!
Old 12-22-2018, 11:26 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

I or any Mac owners here do not argue the fact that Maclarens depreciate. Never have said that. What the owners are saying and the non owners for some reason refuse to believe is that we are all well aware of the depreciation and budget the purchase accordingly.

But it seems you and others are on a mission to save us from ourselves for some reason. I’m a big boy- I know what I paid for the car and I know what I’ll get when I sell it.

I’m glad you enjoyed the cigar with your friends father. I just flew private plane across the country with a buddy of mine who sold 3 companies and is also worth 9 figures. He has a gt3, 488 spider and several other cars.

im not sure the point you are trying to make. People spend money on things they want. Many people without means love cars. Plenty of billionaires out there who could give a rats *** about what car they drive. Sam Walton drive a pick up truck.

my suggestion to you and Honda boy is to start a new thread on cars that depreciate and the financially folly of those that buy them. Let the rest of us discuss everything else about the cars we enjoy and drive other than the cost.

cheers.
Although you admit that you’re unsure of my point - or presumably that of others in this thread - you have no hesitation ascribing motivations to people you don’t know.

The whole whole point of that anecdote was to illustrate that someone I know with an effectively limitless pile of cash chooses to consume very differently than I do.

He bummed a production robusto off of me, whereas his son and I started the day by smoking an Edmundo Dantes Mexico Regional Conde 109 from a box I picked up in April, box #437 of 600 25 count boxes produced in 2007; a box traded for ~$5k in Orchant’s second most recent auction in London. I’d rather smoke them - with 100% depreciation!

I don’t care if anyone else buys a McLaren, or any other car that depreciates heavily; if I wanted to own such a car in the future, I’d prefer they make a lot of them so the price would be even lower, obviously.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my suggestion to you and Honda boy is to start a new thread on cars that depreciate and the financially folly of those that buy them. Let the rest of us discuss everything else about the cars we enjoy and drive other than the cost.

cheers.
When r/personalfinance meets rennlist
Old 12-23-2018, 12:01 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89

Although you admit that you’re unsure of my point - or presumably that of others in this thread - you have no hesitation ascribing motivations to people you don’t know.

The whole whole point of that anecdote was to illustrate that someone I know with an effectively limitless pile of cash chooses to consume very differently than I do.

He bummed a production robusto off of me, whereas his son and I started the day by smoking an Edmundo Dantes Mexico Regional Conde 109 from a box I picked up in April, box #437 of 600 25 count boxes produced in 2007; a box traded for ~$5k in Orchant’s second most recent auction in London. I’d rather smoke them - with 100% depreciation!

I don’t care if anyone else buys a McLaren, or any other car that depreciates heavily; if I wanted to own such a car in the future, I’d prefer they make a lot of them so the price would be even lower, obviously.
i don’t smoke cigars and I’m completely lost in the point you are trying to make.

listen- on another thread you mentioned that you are not even 30 yet. Correct? Perhaps as you gain some age, some more financial means and have a different perspective on life, you will not worry so much about others finances but more your own.

i can’t speak for everyone but I can speak for myself in that any purchase I make I’m fully aware of the consequences.

enjoy your day.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:17 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I wish I was in a position to be able to evaluate and purchase some of the cars mentioned in this thread but I will count my blessings with my .2 GT3

I will say that if you're in the position to be considering purchasing a McLaren or any 200k+ car for that matter, you're likely well educated and apprised of the downside/risks and still made the choice to get into the car for whatever reason you are entitled to, or you might deserve to be bit by the deprecation. Re McLaren's depreciation specifically, I wonder if it's being misunderstood that owners are likely well aware of that aspect (beating a dead horse), but for reasons other than depreciation still made the decision to get into the car and seems like they are happy with that choice. Haven't read anyone post that they've bought a McLaren and regretted it/took a bath because they did not understand the risks...

Oh and I am happy McLaren seems to be putting out solid product at lower price points (sport series/600LT) as I welcome any competition for Porsche to keep them on their toes and hungry. Based on what I've seen so far from the 992, maybe I want McLaren to do even better *personally*
Old 12-23-2018, 12:25 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

i don’t smoke cigars and I’m completely lost in the point you are trying to make.

listen- on another thread you mentioned that you are not even 30 yet. Correct? Perhaps as you gain some age, some more financial means and have a different perspective on life, you will not worry so much about others finances but more your own.

i can’t speak for everyone but I can speak for myself in that any purchase I make I’m fully aware of the consequences.

enjoy your day.
Yes, I’m in my 20s.

Again - you seem to think I’m concerned about YOUR financial choices. I’m not, and said as much.

YOU are the one that wants to argue about what other people might think about YOUR choices. I made a flip remark about why you don’t have an F1 after you touted your financial puissance at another poster’s (perceived) expense.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:45 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Yes, I’m in my 20s.

Again - you seem to think I’m concerned about YOUR financial choices. I’m not, and said as much.

YOU are the one that wants to argue about what other people might think about YOUR choices. I made a flip remark about why you don’t have an F1 after you touted your financial puissance at another poster’s (perceived) expense.
you certaily are concerned about something as you keep posting on a thread about a car in which you have no interest in.

all good. You do you.

enjoy.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:28 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, I’m in my 20s.

You have much to learn young'en - hang in there, you should naturally gain at least some tact and wisdom with age.... hopefully
Old 12-23-2018, 01:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

fascinating thread

Originally Posted by fastmd

why are you always so hung up on costs with Mclaren when it’s clear you are not a buyer?

i hear this same type of bs when people tell me it’s such a waste of money to fly private. I will tell you why, it comes down to experience and time for some people.

I am traveling to Tokyo in a few hours with my family. I will leave my house and land in about 12 hours (all in) No canceled flights, no baggage issue, no amateur fliers,
no TSA.

Most Mclaren owners want a different experience and I always enjoy my Mclarens more than my GT cars.
u got the priority straight my friend.
right on !
hopefully one day I can be half as wise as u

Originally Posted by fastmd

All my cars can go to zero, everything burns down, its just material ****. As long as my family is ok I don’t give AF.

My checking account will be fine.

My cars, watches, guns, all my toys are play money. I worked a long time before I started writing checks.

Thanks for for your concern though.

Happy Holidays.
again right on,

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
the two c's version is taiwanese and built on a boxster chassis
two C version is Chinese. Taiwanese would be way off in spelling.... have you seen my wringting/?
Old 12-23-2018, 02:56 AM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Fascinating discussion! I've always told myself that if I have to worry about depreciation, I shouldn't buy new.

With that said--I'm seeing used 675LT coupes for a little under $300k, and lightly used 720S models hovering around $320-330k. For those who have driven both: is the 720S worth the premium?
Old 12-23-2018, 03:25 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deckard
Fascinating discussion! I've always told myself that if I have to worry about depreciation, I shouldn't buy new.

With that said--I'm seeing used 675LT coupes for a little under $300k, and lightly used 720S models hovering around $320-330k. For those who have driven both: is the 720S worth the premium?
i cant comment on the 675 as I have not driven one but have heard nothing but great things from owners. The 720 is the best car I’ve ever driven. Period.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

i think one can argue that if someone put a gun to your head and made you choose rs over lt- there really isn’t a wrong decision. I’d be happy to have either in my stable.

owned and rs so am very familiar with it and it’s an epic car. Have not driven an lt- looking forward to hopefully getting a chance to do so.

my point was I don’t need a gun to my head to pick the RS. I also don’t think one needs a gun to their head to pick the Mac. Depends on your preferences and tolerances as to depreciation.

To your other point I also agree. Had dinner with a client the other night who drives a 2001 F150, wears his construction clothes and boots everyday, works his own jobs and has a worth approaching $200M. Couldn’t care less about cars or Rhinestone cowboy chit as he says.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:45 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waxer

my point was I don’t need a gun to my head to pick the RS. I also don’t think one needs a gun to their head to pick the Mac. Depends on your preferences and tolerances as to depreciation.

To your other point I also agree. Had dinner with a client the other night who drives a 2001 F150, wears his construction clothes and boots everyday, works his own jobs and has a worth approaching $200M. Couldn’t care less about cars or Rhinestone cowboy chit as he says.

agree. Cheers!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:28 AM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
When r/personalfinance meets rennlist
Funny how I mention 4 reasons Mclaren doesn't appeal to me: reliability, mandatory pre/post track inspections, sparse dealer network and depreciation. Yippie who bought his 720 last month cant let go of the last one. I guess it really hurts and the need to justify his decision to spend $$ on a fast depreciating car is strong.
Maybe buy a Honda next time...

Quick Reply: McLaren Success