Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 569 Posts

Yes, the AMG R is a monster, but I would not own one, but that is just me........one AMG car was enough for me, plus the others I have tracked, etc......

Agreed that the exhaust sound their AMG V8s and 12s make is pretty freakin nice but you will, i.e. miss hearing it at least once a month on average for the few days when the the AMG monster is in the Mercedes dealer's shop tied to their special diagnosis equipment that tells them about 80% of the issues that returned the car to the shop once again............and that you will bring back again for the same issue the next time to the dealer......takes at least an average of 2 visits to fix anything on a AMG or Mercedes it seems......

Their very poor reliability and the inability to push them hard all day at the track or get on it even around town is very frustrating..................bewildering actually.........

You will may also get frequently blinded by the consistent CEL light and miscellaneous warning lights or messages that will flash each time you get on it to hear that marvelous V8 rumble in the R or the 63s out there.......

The good news is that within this section of the forum this crowd can afford the trips, repair expenses and tow charges to the dealer, i.e. when the car stops running due to overheated coils and afford the Maui Jim sunglasses needed for the constant warning lights..............

Mercedes/AMG outstanding racing record of durability and wins over time has not transferred over to their street cars in my experiences......they must keep that technology secret from their increasingly produced AMG cars......
Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Yes, the AMG R is a monster, but I would not own one, but that is just me........one AMG car was enough for me, plus the others I have tracked, etc......

Agreed that the exhaust sound their AMG V8s and 12s make is pretty freakin nice but you will, i.e. miss hearing it at least once a month on average for the few days when the the AMG monster is in the Mercedes dealer's shop tied to their special diagnosis equipment that tells them about 80% of the issues that returned the car to the shop once again............and that you will bring back again for the same issue the next time to the dealer......takes at least an average of 2 visits to fix anything on a AMG or Mercedes it seems......

Their very poor reliability and the inability to push them hard all day at the track or get on it even around town is very frustrating..................bewildering actually.........

You will may also get frequently blinded by the consistent CEL light and miscellaneous warning lights or messages that will flash each time you get on it to hear that marvelous V8 rumble in the R or the 63s out there.......

The good news is that within this section of the forum this crowd can afford the trips, repair expenses and tow charges to the dealer, i.e. when the car stops running due to overheated coils and afford the Maui Jim sunglasses needed for the constant warning lights..............

Mercedes/AMG outstanding racing record of durability and wins over time has not transferred over to their street cars in my experiences......they must keep that technology secret from their increasingly produced AMG cars......
I have not experienced anything you are stating. I own 3 AMG Vehicles currently, including the GTR. I have owned AMGs for over 20 years. Are you basing this on the 2005 SL you have listed in your signature or was this more recent? My 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS have thrown more CELs than my current G63, E63 S, and GTR.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Chris,

The car is so incredibly well balanced that its a dream to drive with ESC Off. In 'Race' mode and ESC off it defaults to two red lights showing on the TC control which I've found to be perfect for my local track. One other positive is that in Race with ESC completely off, the collision avoidance crap is automatically disabled.

Bish
Yes, am aware of that. I just forgot to turn it off for this session because the previous sessions were wet and I have learnt not to turn it off when it is wet. Drove all the following sessions with it off.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default Reference to reliabilities

Originally Posted by fastmd

I have not experienced anything you are stating. I own 3 AMG Vehicles currently, including the GTR. I have owned AMGs for over 20 years. Are you basing this on the 2005 SL you have listed in your signature or was this more recent? My 991.1 GT3 and GT3 RS have thrown more CELs than my current G63, E63 S, and GTR.
Reference and comments based per below -

Experienced $ 15,000 worth of warranty work in 4 years on the 2005 SL 65 AMG, which is unbelievable - coils, the improved coils, the ignition, fouled plugs constantly, brakes, etc.....

My wife's E 63 AMG - 2017 - similar history - electronics, CELs - sold it quick

My father bought and sold dozens of Mercedes and several AMG cars each year for over 20 years and always found them to be finicky and over engineered causing reliability issues and difficult diagnosis on repairs.....

I also worked for German companies and traveled to Europe about 40 times in the past which gives me a frame of reference in speaking with Germans who run their cars much faster than we do on a daily basis.

The feedback from them when we discussed cars extensively during my visits, was as follows, which I agree with as far as reliability, durability and cost of ownership relative to repairs: ranked from best to worst - generally speaking

1) Porsche
2) Audi/S
3)Mercedes/AMG
4) BMW/M

This is where I am coming from with my comments and experiences....
Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Abiazis

Congrats on your GT3.

What would your reference be if you had a 2014 or 2015 GT3 ?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Andrew,

I’m sorry but this thread is about the AMG GT R. Mine has 2,400 miles on it, including about 600 road course miles and nothing, not one thing, has ever gone wrong, let alone a CEL flashed at me. I had my local ‘race shop’ change the oil/filter at 2K miles even though the car stated I had another 145 days to go. It has been a dream to own.

Bish
Old 06-27-2018, 10:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Abiazis

Congrats on your GT3.

What would your reference be if you had a 2014 or 2015 GT3 ?
All things considered, my analysis would still be the same as it is all relative.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman

Andrew,

I’m sorry but this thread is about the AMG GT R. Mine has 2,400 miles on it, including about 600 road course miles and nothing, not one thing, has ever gone wrong, let alone a CEL flashed at me. I had my local ‘race shop’ change the oil/filter at 2K miles even though the car stated I had another 145 days to go. It has been a dream to own.

Bish
Yes it is. Thanks for the reminder. Give us a report at 20K miles and hope it is still sterling for you.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:43 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

A past AMG owner here and family has owned quite a few, no issues with any of them in our experience (CLA45, CLK55, ML55, SL55, CLS63)... routine service and that's it. If I didn't get my GT3 I was strongly considering a GT-R because I love the styling, interior, and the sound is fantastic IMO.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default Luck of the draw

The AMG GT R definitely innovative styling for Mercedes and sound is distinctive....luck of the draw on cars as some people swear by Volvos and others have nightmare stories about them.....no perfect cars is the only conclusion...
Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Reference and comments based per below -

Experienced $ 15,000 worth of warranty work in 4 years on the 2005 SL 65 AMG, which is unbelievable - coils, the improved coils, the ignition, fouled plugs constantly, brakes, etc.....

My wife's E 63 AMG - 2017 - similar history - electronics, CELs - sold it quick

My father bought and sold dozens of Mercedes and several AMG cars each year for over 20 years and always found them to be finicky and over engineered causing reliability issues and difficult diagnosis on repairs.....

I also worked for German companies and traveled to Europe about 40 times in the past which gives me a frame of reference in speaking with Germans who run their cars much faster than we do on a daily basis.

The feedback from them when we discussed cars extensively during my visits, was as follows, which I agree with as far as reliability, durability and cost of ownership relative to repairs: ranked from best to worst - generally speaking

1) Porsche
2) Audi/S
3)Mercedes/AMG
4) BMW/M

This is where I am coming from with my comments and experiences....
got it.

I lived in Germany for 6 years and travel to Europe almost weekly and have offices in Munich and Berlin. Only in the past 5 years when many taxis have switched to some sort of hybrid they were mostly Mercedes. They are reliable, but everything is relative. It’s debatable whatever order one thinks it should be with German cars but Audi is at the bottom followed by BMW in my opinion.

My GTR has been flawless compared to my GT3 and GT3 RS, but I do still value them the same.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

My GTR has been flawless compared to my GT3 and GT3 RS, but I do still value them the same.
Your .2 GT3 has had issues? Or you had a .1 you no longer own?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Other than some brake fade on my first track day, the GTR has run flawlessly for over 10,000kms alongside my GT3.2.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Good to hear you have had good experience!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:04 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

got it.

I lived in Germany for 6 years and travel to Europe almost weekly and have offices in Munich and Berlin. Only in the past 5 years when many taxis have switched to some sort of hybrid they were mostly Mercedes. They are reliable, but everything is relative. It’s debatable whatever order one thinks it should be with German cars but Audi is at the bottom followed by BMW in my opinion.

It first needs to be said that I don't wish anyone on here ill-will and bad luck with their vehicles. I wanted to chime into the conversation because this subject (German car reliability and how Porsche stacks up) has been a point of interest for me for a few years now. My observations are as follows:

- When one speaks of a reliability, are we actually talking about reliability or about durability? There is overlap because, as I would define it, durability is reliability under more extreme conditions (many miles or hard use like track or off road use)
- When reliability studies are conducted, are we talking about a) reliability b) reliability of ALL components, including those that won't matter whether or not get the car from point A to point B or c) customer satisfaction with "quality" (my seat is squeaky)
- Reliability surveys are often affected by certain major ticket items (think the Gen 1 991 GT3 engines). The rest of the car seemed pretty darn good but for one major mistake
- In some cases there seem to be discrepancies in quality and reliability between cars built in certain parts of the world (the American product vs. what is built and sold in Europe).
- My observations about the brands are as follows:
- Porsche have always made durable cars. In recent years, they have been in many cases reliable cars as well.
- Newer MB put a huge emphasis on technology (because people put technology and luxury together) and they have therefore become more complicated and thus are more prone to failure. I have also seen a slip in their overall quality (panel gaps, interior materials, longer-term reliability (durability) of certain components. I'm not sure how AMG specifically fits into this but I will make the observation that the quality really falls off in the cheaper segments.
- Old school (pre-1995) MBs were great on all fronts (relatively reliable, durable,and fantastic quality)
- Audis were pretty unreliable until less than a decade ago when something appears to have changed (less parts sharing with VW maybe)? They are probably the first or second most reliable brand and the quality is very good (fit, finish, and materials). I've never tracked one and don't know about what other people's experiences have been so I can't speak to that.

I'm going off a combination of speaking with owners/mechanics, the TUV ratings, Consumer Reports, and JD Power. The indices all use different criteria for their rating although the TUV has a longer-term approach and you can see longer-term reliability more easily.

Last edited by enduro911; 07-05-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R