Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 02:56 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Wow that GTR absolutely lost you in the straights. Insane power.

the word has is that of the people that own both a GTR and 911gt3 or rs. Their preferred car to drive on registered roads within or around speed limit for enjoyment, comfort and theatre is by far the GTR. And By Far!!

They say leave the 911 to the race track in which the gtr is only a little behind in the corners though kills on the straights ..

Give me low down torque and a crazy engine burbling v8 sound any day.

wasnt so happy reving the ring out of the 911 to get it to go, other than at a track it’s hard work. to get enjoyment on the street you need to bevdoing 3 times the speed limit
ill have traded out of a GT3.2 for a gtr

Last edited by karter34; 05-13-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:38 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Please do!
States no changes for the GTR in 2019 but no ‘special’ version unfortunately.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Bish. Either way I'm picking a GTR up now, to roll into a Black Series when they arrive.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:45 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks Bish. Either way I'm picking a GTR up now, to roll into a Black Series when they arrive.
I think you’ll really love the car. I do mine.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:00 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 528 Posts

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just spent four days at Rd Atlanta attending the AMG Driving Academy Advanced and Pro courses, which I guess are the equivalent of the Performance and Masters courses at the Porsche Sport Driving School. Pro+ is the three day course I will take next and that comes with an SCCA license at the end of it.

My first time at RA and first time tracking GTRs (and other AMGs), so pretty steep learning curve. My skill level can best be described as being on the cusp between intermediate and advanced at most HPDE, depending on how familiar I am with the track.

At the end of the second day of the Pro course there was a competition amongst all the participants. Winning was based on a combo of Autocross lap time (separate small technical course on a big parking lot) and three timed laps on track. The objective of the timed laps was not fastest lap time, but consistent lapping. So I figured I'd go to about 8/10 effort to achieve said consistency. It worked because all three lap times were at 1:40.xx ... I don't have the exact data because I don't have Racelogic to open VBO files and they don't show on the video (if someone does I'm happy to send the file).

Anyhoot, much to my surprise I came in 3rd place overall, which is really more of a matter of luck than anything else as I was nowhere near the third best driver there. I guess if I had a little more seat time in the GTR, a few more laps at RA, and went all out I'd shave a few seconds. I'm not that concerned about it honestly, I don't even know what a good lap time would be there with this car, but I had an awesome time and came back in one piece, so that's a win.

Here are the laps if anyone is interested:

--------------------------------------

On a side note, the weather was very hot and humid and the GTRs were being used all day by four different groups rotating seat time in them, with small breaks to cool off in between. None ever experienced any overheating issues of any kind. Take that for what it is worth and with the caveat that we weren't skilled enough to be pushing them ***** out all the time, still I think it's noteworthy. It was interesting that they never turned them off throughout the day and in between sessions ... apparently they cool off a lot better this way.

Last edited by soulsea; 05-24-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Soulsea, I'd love to have a couple of VBO files to overlay on my laps with the RS!
Peter@trakcar.com

Can you tell me what rotors and pads they used? Any additional cooling? Pedal stayed strong all day?
Road Atlanta is not terribly hard on brakes, but still I'm collection info everywhere.

Just came back from Renntech and brainstormed about brakes.
Interestingly a set of CCB's from Mercedes is only about $11K. Less then half of Porsches and I'd be interested in putting ST rotors on a GTR.

Any links to sign up for such a test drive?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Just emailed you.

For the benefit of others ... I was told that everything on the cars was OEM, including rotors and pads.
I'll shoot one of the instructors a text to double check that this is correct.

Peter, I forgot to ask on the email, if you manage to capture a screenshot of those three consecutive 1:40.xx laps please sent it to me ... it might never get any better. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just spent four days at Rd Atlanta attending the AMG Driving Academy Advanced and Pro courses, which I guess are the equivalent of the Performance and Masters courses at the Porsche Sport Driving School. Pro+ is the three day course I will take next and that comes with an SCCA license at the end of it.

My first time at RA and first time tracking GTRs (and other AMGs), so pretty steep learning curve. My skill level can best be described as being on the cusp between intermediate and advanced at most HPDE, depending on how familiar I am with the track.

At the end of the second day of the Pro course there was a competition amongst all the participants. Winning was based on a combo of Autocross lap time (separate small technical course on a big parking lot) and three timed laps on track. The objective of the timed laps was not fastest lap time, but consistent lapping. So I figured I'd go to about 8/10 effort to achieve said consistency. It worked because all three lap times were at 1:40.xx ... I don't have the exact data because I don't have Racelogic to open VBO files and they don't show on the video (if someone does I'm happy to send the file).

Anyhoot, much to my surprise I came in 3rd place overall, which is really more of a matter of luck than anything else as I was nowhere near the third best driver there. I guess if I had a little more seat time in the GTR, a few more laps at RA, and went all out I'd shave a few seconds. I'm not that concerned about it honestly, I don't even know what a good lap time would be there with this car, but I had an awesome time and came back in one piece, so that a win.

Here are the laps if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93Tgop72hM&t=23s

--------------------------------------

On a side note, the weather was very hot and humid and the GTRs were being used all day by four different groups rotating seat time in them, with small breaks to cool off in between. None ever experienced any overheating issues of any kind. Take that for what it is worth and with the caveat that we weren't skilled enough to be pushing them ***** out all the time, still I think it's noteworthy. It was interesting that they never turned them off throughout the day and in between sessions ... apparently they cool off a lot better this way.

very smooth driving there sir.
i would suggest there is a lot more time to be found however you are on the right track with your steering inputs
you will just need to brake later and then harder however keep more mid corner speed/ momentum.
This all being said, if you have a smile on your face and you feel as though you are at your safe limit then who cares as the car has come back straight.
Looks like fun and great camera / app thing you have going there .
Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

The three laps ... thanks Peter.

The delta is relative to an instructor's benchmark time of 1:33.xx, which is a pretty good indication of what's in the car, although I have no way of knowing how hard they push.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:08 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

I also had a chance to spend a lot of time with Reinhold Renger who was heading the whole thing and was incredibly generous with his time and knowledge. I'm going to shoot him an email to try and find out what his best lap was because I'm pretty sure that's basically as good as it will get ... that way there's some hard data to compare the GTR with other cars.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:00 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Very nice driving soulsea...here is a link to one of my favorite laps at RA

Old 05-25-2018, 01:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I just took a quick look at another lap one the AMG GTR, maybe an instructor drive that car.
A few 1.34's and a 1.33 I ran the data next to my 1.34.

Through T1 - T7 all corners the RS cornered faster and the GTR claws some time back every little straight.
I was on 3 day old corded tires MPSC2 N1. Ive run 1.34 in my 997 3.8RS so with fresh tires the 991RS would have been 2 seconds faster no problem.

Most clear was the difference from T7 on:
Exiting T7, onto the back straight, RS was 1.2 seconds ahead.
On the straight the GTR makes it all up with a 13MPH higher VMax (149 VS 162). The RS gets a few tenths back in 10a and 10b but then up the hill under the bridge the GTR pulls again a couple of tents.

Same laptime of 1.34 in the end.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

I will be at a Spa in 2 weeks with my GT3 and GTR. I suspect the GTR is going to be a lot faster over one lap considering the nature of the circuit. But I know now that after 4-6 laps, the brakes will be done. The GT3 will just keep going.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I will be at a Spa in 2 weeks with my GT3 and GTR. I suspect the GTR is going to be a lot faster over one lap considering the nature of the circuit. But I know now that after 4-6 laps, the brakes will be done. The GT3 will just keep going.
you changed brake fluid I believe, so should be much different.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:52 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
That is why you do not buy an AMG with steel. I have mine with CCBs and they never fade

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R