Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
MSRP minus wheel/tyre insurance; enclosed transportation of my Z07 to them and the GT R to me, and I was reimbursed, (by a further discount off of MSRP) for my return airfare to come and look at the car and sign the papers. Lastly I was given $62K on trade-in allowance when most other offers were mid-high $50Ks. It was such a fantastic deal there was no way I was going to turn it down.Bish
Sounds awesome! I too got rid of my Z07 earlier this year. It was a fun ride.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great deal! They are still asking $25-50 k over in southern Ca (however, I don’t think they are getting it, because a lot of them are still on the lot)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 799 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

So I was unable to get an allocation for a 991.2 GT3, and didn't want to wait for 12-18 months to finally get one at MSRP as my trade's value was essentially falling off a cliff; ('15 Z06/7). Hence I purchased the car above. I was going to order one to my specs, (although best time frame there was around 4-6 months), but this car had all the required options; the deal made was awesome and when I actually saw the color 'live', I loved it. It does generate a fair amount of attention however:
Man, that looks awesome. Congrats on a great deal.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:21 PM
PcarFL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picked my white gtr up,today.... All I have to say is WOW in every way. I currently have a .2 gt3 and a 458 and I must say that this car is a real special event to drive. Was in it all day and It does everything fantastic. Look forward to much more seat and driving as much as I can. Will report back once I am more familiar with the car.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarFL
Picked my white gtr up,today.... All I have to say is WOW in every way. I currently have a .2 gt3 and a 458 and I must say that this car is a real special event to drive. Was in it all day and It does everything fantastic. Look forward to much more seat and driving as much as I can. Will report back once I am more familiar with the car.
Congrats. Would welcome your feedback between the 2 cars (more so in living with both as I’m not really trying to compare the performance between the two). I have a little over 200 miles on my GTR and my GT3 arrives in June. Agreed the GTR really is in a league of its own. I feel like I have to prepare for surgery every time I take her out - maybe it’s just me. Where I can just hop into my 991.1 GTS and go, I feel the GTR requires a little more patience and attention. Especially with the exaggerated long hood. But wow it is a rush to drive and can’t wait to have more time to really break it in.

Is your .2 PDK or MT?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 PM
PcarFL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PDK. The GTR is way more of an occasion to be in and drive. The GT3 also has a character all of its own. I am really having a hard time getting my head around the fact that both cars are basically the same price and an RS is substantially more $. Just from my short time with car it just seems like so much mor3 car for the $ when compared to current GT cars. I love my .2 3 and it is my 4th and always hope to have one in the stable. I had a 14, 15, and 16 rs. This GTR has really caught my attention like non other and I have had my share of cars over the years. Thankful and grateful I am able to have both.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Just from my short time with car it just seems like so much mor3 car for the $ when compared to current GT cars.

It’s hands down one of the best values out today. But don’t tell anyone 😄 Truth is MBZ is sandbagging the power claims. This thing makes well over 600 crank hp and there are dynos to show that. But also that grip...

Thankful and grateful I am able to have both.
True that. Enjoy them in good health.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Pics!!!!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

Any owner track reviews?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I have both a GTR and GT3 on order now. I've had the GTR ordered for like 3 months. Delivery in May. Just ordered the GT3. Delivery in June. I'm about to cancel the GTR order because I've fallen in love with the GT3. Those of you with both, how does the GT3 compare with the GTR in terms of drivability on the street? Is one worse than the other? I'm not talking about daily driving to go pick up your girlfriend or wife from yoga class or to go for a hardware store run. Just in terms of a fun car to have. They both seem awesome, for sure.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:33 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Any owner track reviews?
There haven’t been many delivered so far, just those from the original offering a little over a year ago.

I have a track date booked for March 5th ... that is if Canada has left the SE by then.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I have both a GTR and GT3 on order now. I've had the GTR ordered for like 3 months. Delivery in May. Just ordered the GT3. Delivery in June. I'm about to cancel the GTR order because I've fallen in love with the GT3. Those of you with both, how does the GT3 compare with the GTR in terms of drivability on the street? Is one worse than the other? I'm not talking about daily driving to go pick up your girlfriend or wife from yoga class or to go for a hardware store run. Just in terms of a fun car to have. They both seem awesome, for sure.
Heh you are doing your research which is good, but I would also post on MBWorld or a Benz forum to get their side as well since this is a good chunk of disposable income you are going be spending on a set of wheels. I only have had seat time in a .1 GT3 and a GT-S (so not the .2 nor GTR) but the GT-S IMO was the better daily driver even though people have said the GTR is supposed to be re-worked against the GT-S. As an "only" car I would be hard pressed to vote for the GT3 over the more Grand Tourer style GTR as ludicrous as it is. The GT-S had the awesome and comfortable performance seats which IMO I like more than the LWBS and look just as cool (maybe not as good for tracking compared with the LWBS), and the interior is more plush/luxurious and more of an "event" every time you get into the car compared with the GT3 which has the exact same interior as every other 991.2.

The GT3 suspension is stiff, it won't crack your teeth, but it is stiff. Also, I don't remember ground clearance on the GT-S (didn't spend as much time in it), but we scraped the bottom of the front spoiler on the GT3 a handful of times in town here in Honolulu (which is a relatively flat city) lol, just hard to "instantly" turn on the FAL while driving more than 10 mph

If you are dead set on Porsche you already have your answer, or if you will have another car for some situations where the low, stiff GT3 might not be practical then I would go GT3. Someone else suggested TTS and as an ONLY car I would gravitate towards that. Otherwise I would try your best to get seat time in something similar or exactly what you are looking at. Resale you will also lose much more on the GTR I am willing to bet, but for me personally I don't care about resale as I could be cold in the ground before selling the car and would rather spend my time enjoying what I spend my hard earned money on than what the next owner will be willing to pay.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Like yourself I’m waiting for my GT3 so I can’t give you a comparison ... what I can tell you is that I would take my GTR ten times over my recently sold .1 GT3RS. It’s faster both on track and on the street, you don’t have to live at 6k rpm to get anything out of it, equal in fit and finish, slightly more comfortable, and sounds like heaven.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:02 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Heh you are doing your research which is good, but I would also post on MBWorld or a Benz forum to get their side as well since this is a good chunk of disposable income you are going be spending on a set of wheels. I only have had seat time in a .1 GT3 and a GT-S (so not the .2 nor GTR) but the GT-S IMO was the better daily driver even though people have said the GTR is supposed to be re-worked against the GT-S. As an "only" car I would be hard pressed to vote for the GT3 over the more Grand Tourer style GTR as ludicrous as it is. The GT-S had the awesome and comfortable performance seats which IMO I like more than the LWBS and look just as cool (maybe not as good for tracking compared with the LWBS), and the interior is more plush/luxurious and more of an "event" every time you get into the car compared with the GT3 which has the exact same interior as every other 991.2.

The GT3 suspension is stiff, it won't crack your teeth, but it is stiff. Also, I don't remember ground clearance on the GT-S (didn't spend as much time in it), but we scraped the bottom of the front spoiler on the GT3 a handful of times in town here in Honolulu (which is a relatively flat city) lol, just hard to "instantly" turn on the FAL while driving more than 10 mph

If you are dead set on Porsche you already have your answer, or if you will have another car for some situations where the low, stiff GT3 might not be practical then I would go GT3. Someone else suggested TTS and as an ONLY car I would gravitate towards that. Otherwise I would try your best to get seat time in something similar or exactly what you are looking at. Resale you will also lose much more on the GTR I am willing to bet, but for me personally I don't care about resale as I could be cold in the ground before selling the car and would rather spend my time enjoying what I spend my hard earned money on than what the next owner will be willing to pay.
Well I've kinda gone all in on the GT3 at this point. Just picking people's brains so I know what I'm in for lol. I've hung out in both cars atd dealerships. The GTR's interior is more plush and comfortable. The GT3 ain't bad either. But it's clear it only cares about going fast. Which ain't bad. The sound system in the GT3 is, frankly... horrible. The high-end Burmester in the GTR sounded pretty good to me. In a car like the GT3, though, I foresee the sound system to be the engine revved up and the windows down.

Someone on here near me offered to let me ride in his RS. So I'll see how that goes.

Originally Posted by soulsea
Like yourself I’m waiting for my GT3 so I can’t give you a comparison ... what I can tell you is that I would take my GTR ten times over my recently sold .1 GT3RS. It’s faster both on track and on the street, you don’t have to live at 6k rpm to get anything out of it, equal in fit and finish, slightly more comfortable, and sounds like heaven.
Ugh. Probably. I would love to feel what 600 HP feels like in the GTR. But I dunno... I want it, but I'm not feeling an emotional desire to take delivery. Maybe I've overloaded myself on it. I've been looking at photos and videos and whatnot for three months straight. I should take a break and not look at anything car related for two weeks and then see what happens.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

This thread has me interested in the GTR just for fun, now I'm playing around spec'ing one on the configurator lol. Looks gorgeous in Silver and White

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R