Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:58 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Totally AGREE !

One of many reasons why resale is like a ship anchor. Sexy car, fast car. but Poor Reliability and Dependability when it comes to tracking the car. Great for cars and coffee.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have a friend that has a AMG GTR that tracks it. He has steel rotors now but have to have custom brake cooling done and it melt brakes like crazy. Same as OP, melted rear brakes off the car...parking brake fell off at a DE.

I considered a AMG GTR but after looking into the car and actually knowing someone with one...I stayed with Porsche and got my GT3. Porsche isn't perfect but for track use and reliability in a car with this speed in it...Porsche - There Is No Substitute
Old 01-02-2019, 01:57 PM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Totally AGREE !

One of many reasons why resale is like a ship anchor. Sexy car, fast car. but Poor Reliability and Dependability when it comes to tracking the car. Great for cars and coffee.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Originally Posted by mdrums
I have a friend that has a AMG GTR that tracks it. He has steel rotors now but have to have custom brake cooling done and it melt brakes like crazy. Same as OP, melted rear brakes off the car...parking brake fell off at a DE.

I considered a AMG GTR but after looking into the car and actually knowing someone with one...I stayed with Porsche and got my GT3. Porsche isn't perfect but for track use and reliability in a car with this speed in it...Porsche - There Is No Substitute
Actually it's very capable on track. Obviously in brake and grip department is no match for Porsche, but i still managed to be quicker than all GT Porsches beside GT2 or modified Turbo S on several occasions on few tracks. I prefer it to the GT3, cause it's more demanding and rewarding at same time. But yes... In some things Mercedes is hundreds years behind Porsche like approach to customer with warranty !!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:38 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Very interesting ... I have now been at the AMG Driving Academy for three courses (2 Rd Atlanta, 1 Laguna) where the cars are beaten on all day and I have never seen that happen to any of their GT-Rs.
As I mentioned to the OP over on MBforum, his is not my experience at all. Further, I asked one of the mechanics at LS last October with the AMG Academy what they were using on the GT Rs, and was told they are the OEM parts.

I’ve now got around 22-24 HPDE run sessions on the car, of which 3/4 are mine running in the Advanced group. I took care to burnish the brake pads and run with ESC ‘Off’. The car stops on a dime every lap, every time. I’m running the original OEM pads. The fronts still have at least 66% of the pad material left and the rears are at about 33%. The rears were wearing at the same rate as the fronts until my last weekend when my son drove the car also and I made him run in ESC ‘Sport’. Since the ‘Nannies’ were kicking in for him, the rears experienced accelerated wear. The only change I’ve made is to replace the original brake fluid with SRF. In the Spring I’ll have the rears replaced; (I’ve already purchased a second set of OEM pads from John at Autoquest).
My local track isn’t the worst on brakes, but there are multiple times where you’re slowing markedly over the 2.5 mile course.

I have no idea what circumstances you were driving under; it would help if you supplied as much information as possible, but again your experience is far removed from mine, although I agree that extra brake cooling is always worthwhile on a heavy road car on a road course.

Bish
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

can't say much about track reliability of GTR
but my friend had a GTS and they drove it redline every gear both up and down shifts, and when they sold it , it had 18 k miles and never missed a beat
Old 01-03-2019, 03:52 AM
MegaLoL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

As I mentioned to the OP over on MBforum, his is not my experience at all. Further, I asked one of the mechanics at LS last October with the AMG Academy what they were using on the GT Rs, and was told they are the OEM parts.

I’ve now got around 22-24 HPDE run sessions on the car, of which 3/4 are mine running in the Advanced group. I took care to burnish the brake pads and run with ESC ‘Off’. The car stops on a dime every lap, every time. I’m running the original OEM pads. The fronts still have at least 66% of the pad material left and the rears are at about 33%. The rears were wearing at the same rate as the fronts until my last weekend when my son drove the car also and I made him run in ESC ‘Sport’. Since the ‘Nannies’ were kicking in for him, the rears experienced accelerated wear. The only change I’ve made is to replace the original brake fluid with SRF. In the Spring I’ll have the rears replaced; (I’ve already purchased a second set of OEM pads from John at Autoquest).
My local track isn’t the worst on brakes, but there are multiple times where you’re slowing markedly over the 2.5 mile course.

I have no idea what circumstances you were driving under; it would help if you supplied as much information as possible, but again your experience is far removed from mine, although I agree that extra brake cooling is always worthwhile on a heavy road car on a road course.

Bish

So i have opposite experience. My "local" AMG Academy says something else about pads. OEM but from Black Series. I was driving at 7 or 8 traction control. 9 is completely off. After this experience i turn ESP to 9.

I don't want to sound as an ******* but all these driving experiences, events etc. are waste of time for me... I was twice at events like these in an expert or an advanced group and on a hot lap i was barely or not touching at all brakes when i was driving behind an instructor. And i've been a track guy since 2005 or 2006 when i was first time on track with my own car.

Last edited by MegaLoL; 01-03-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Totally AGREE !

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Resale like a ship anchor? What market are you referring to? Your C class?

AMG err Brembo, will get the brakes sorted.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just like your POS AMG GT. Garbage galore. Is it worth $80K now? ROTFLMAO. Just enjoy your entry level and strip down AMG GT

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Outlaw

Resale like a ship anchor? What market are you referring to? Your C class?

AMG err Brembo, will get the brakes sorted.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:56 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Black Series

Black Series is now out. Flat plane crank, 1.7 bar boost (how are they are going to control heat soak?), aero looks pretty extreme, no official Nring time claimed yet. Hoping to get more info soon!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...pecs-revealed/
  • The sixth in the Black Series from Mercedes-AMG makes 720 horsepower from a twin-turbo V-8 and can exceed 200 mph.
  • Its appearance is as extreme as its performance with liberal use of carbon fiber and an extensive aerodynamics package.
  • Details on price and availability have not yet been released, but since the Black Series is the top of the AMG food chain, the GT Black Series can be expected to cost well above the GT R Pro's $200,645 starting price.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:26 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

The sound clips I can find of it sound absolutely terrible

I’m hoping it’s just the euro spec with OPF and the US spec will sound better...a LOT better, because what I can find right now is an absolute joke. I’d rather just go full EV than hear that sound.

I sure like the looks though.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:26 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

That's ugly as hell
Old 07-18-2020, 01:02 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
That's ugly as hell
Reminds me of a German Viper ACR without the NA motor or Manual gearbox.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:43 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
That's ugly as hell
Yeah! Might be capable buts it's ugly from most angles.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:31 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enquired about the Black Series at my local MBZ dealer. He said they would be getting one car and they would be selling it for 100k over MSRP.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:33 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Greygt3
I enquired about the Black Series at my local MBZ dealer. He said they would be getting one car and they would be selling it for 100k over MSRP.
I inquired at a local larger corporate store. GM said 1 allocation and already has a list.

However GTRs on the lot are available at huge discount before negotiating.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,269 Likes on 2,436 Posts

I like it. Over the top works for it.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R