Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

My main gripe with the GTR is the looks. I do like it. I like it enough to have put an order in for one. And while if I blur my vision and sort of look at the car out of the corner of my eye, it looks sick... when I really pay attention to some things, I scratch my head and wish I could change them. The rear bumperettes. Ugly. I get it's DOT stuff. But still. Ugly. I wish the transition from the rear window to the deck were a tiny bit sharper. I wish the hood were not as long. I wish the angle from the front of the hood all the way to middle of the door weren't just a straight, flat line. I hate the wheels. I hate the chrome trim on the front grill and door handle. The interior is great. Love it. Except all the gloss black, even with the carbon fiber trim package. Performance seems fantastic. But I'm not a race car driver. Would I track the thing? Sure, a few times. But I'm not doing 7:10 on the Nurburgring. I just love fast cars and would love to have fun tooling around in one.

I had everything planned out for when I would take delivery of the car: PPF (ordered the matte paint), black out the front grill, door handles, rear emblem, and swap the wheels for HRE P101s. All that would add another $20,000 to the car, just to get it the way I want it. And I had to basically grovel and kiss the *** of every salesman I talked to for three MONTHS to get an allocation. I got a GT3 allocation after three DAYS of looking.

The GT3? Well, I absolutely LOVE the stock wheels. Probably the only OEM wheels out there I actually like. So that saves me $10,000 right there. And I like everything about the exterior trim. I do wish it was all carbon fiber instead of black. But hey, it looks good. No chrome anywhere! And the proportions of the design are drool-worthy. I've never been a huge fan of many Porsches in the past. But when I saw the GT3 in person, my jaw hit the floor. Will I miss the extra 100 BHP of the GTR? Maybe. The thought of owning a twin-turbo V8 is nice. More power is always more fun. And the GTR is probably faster around some tracks than the GT3. But oh, it comes in a stick. Huge plus for me since I just want to have fun and not worry about lap times.

tl;dr
The GTR is sick. But I didn't like having all the things I didn't like about it weighing on my mind. I had to force myself to love it when I really just like it.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:43 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 528 Posts

It sounds like you've made a decision.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

I am more interested in the when they make the Vantage S which will use same engine. Vantage already being released so will see how that does but want to wait for them to have more time developing plus it will come with a Maual option shortly
Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by soulsea
It sounds like you've made a decision.
Yeah. Made it yesterday! Wish I could have both cars to be honest. Who wouldn't. But it's one or the other. The GTR is definitely a weapon though.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah but he hated it because it was too much of a track weapon. He thinks AMGs should be savage drift machines where you go sideways. The GTR is all about going around a track fast, not breaking the rear loose and sliding around.
And Clarkson comes from the perspective of a street driver, who is the most likely buyer of this type of car. You're way more likely to be seeing a GTR being driven on the street by someone looking for attention in their shouty car than at trackdays being thrashed by a trackrat. The car obviously performs, as he concluded. It's the package that he didn't care for so much.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:07 PM
PcarFL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are odd judgements on what kind of people drive a gtr.... Just saying.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And Clarkson comes from the perspective of a street driver, who is the most likely buyer of this type of car. You're way more likely to be seeing a GTR being driven on the street by someone looking for attention in their shouty car than at trackdays being thrashed by a trackrat. The car obviously performs, as he concluded. It's the package that he didn't care for so much.
Clarkson is an arrogant douche. He is first and foremost a showman, not a true motoring journalist IMHO. As an ex-pat, I find him to be an embarrassment, and unlike other serious auto journalists like the aforementioned Chris Harris, his opinion on vehicles are as much about causing controversy versus an accurate portrayal of the merits.

As for your characterization of GT R owners wanting to own the car just to garner attention I’m amazed. It does in fact garner attention as all AMG GT variants are fairly rare on the road versus a ‘911’, and the GT R is (currently) the most extreme version of the GT, but I think that most people are buying them to actually use it for it’s designed purpose, which is to be a track weapon. Unfortunately due to the delay at the VPCs for the vast majority of delivered cars, few owners have had an opportunity to get them out to the road course. This spring can’t come soon enough for that purpose. If a GT R owner wants to get the car just to showboat, there are far cheaper ways to accomplish it with cheaper versions of the car.

Bish
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 528 Posts

Going to Clarkson as a car critic is like going to Fiery as a food critic.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:41 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ridiculous .....and somehow you have Conjured the demographics on GTR buyers? And what is a shouty Car exactly?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Also, let’s not forget the merc is in fact a mid engine RWD car with more grip than an AWD 911.... that is incredible. Plus the V8tt puts the 3.0tt torque to shame AND still sounds awesome. Not one person poked fun at the sound vs the old 6.3!

on the other hand reliability...
Old 01-08-2018, 03:57 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 963 Likes on 483 Posts

We love our GTR - a lot. Although it's targeted at the GT3's we feel it differs enough to justify having both in the collection. Congrats to all those in here who have ordered one.

Pictured: ANRKY AN31's finished in Brushed Clear

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 01-08-2018, 04:42 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Also, let’s not forget the merc is in fact a mid engine RWD car with more grip than an AWD 911.... that is incredible. Plus the V8tt puts the 3.0tt torque to shame AND still sounds awesome. Not one person poked fun at the sound vs the old 6.3!

on the other hand reliability...
I've owned 3 Mercs (all in a much much lower tier) but never had a single issue (CLA45 AMG, C300, GLK350)
Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

If anybody reading this wants an AMG GTR—without a huge ADM—please PM me. Since I've decided on the GT3, my slot is available.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:07 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman

Clarkson is an arrogant douche. He is first and foremost a showman, not a true motoring journalist IMHO. As an ex-pat, I find him to be an embarrassment, and unlike other serious auto journalists like the aforementioned Chris Harris, his opinion on vehicles are as much about causing controversy versus an accurate portrayal of the merits.
Agreed 100%
Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Grand Tour Season 2 Episode 2. Clarkson reviewed it. Didn't love it.
He liked it, he just didn't saw the point when he (and I would assume every potential client) knows that it will be a black series.

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R