OT: AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,019 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm signed up for a rental in a AMG GTS at Yas Marina the end of this month and will probably wait for the black series for the summer 2019 Euro delivery.
Very cool - look forward to your review in Abu Dhabi

Black Series will have to be <7 minute car. Any guess at price?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Have you been to MBWorld forum and read the disastrous launch and quality issues of the AMG GT-S? The "First Edition" AMG GT-S had all sorts of quality and reliability issues.

AMG is no longer the same AMG quality and build they used to have. AMG sold whatever dignity and soul they have by practically slapping the AMG badge on every imaginable model they produce at the production line.

Yes in paper the GT-R looks good, and yes in paper for now. Not everything that glitters is gold. Not because it is cheaper you buy it. My family have been a Mercedes Benz owner since the 1950s and personally have owned three AMGs and my current and last AMG on hand is the C63 Edition-507. "First Adopters" get into all sorts of issues for most brand but the current flagship of Mercedes Benz AMG which is the AMG GT lineup has been nothing but pure headache. A few may have slipped to the cracks as trouble free but a great number of them for the average cost of $150K is no fun when you have these kind of issues. In fact one owners there who owns the "Fastest" Mercedes Benz is a testimony how problematic his "First Edition" AMG GT-S has been for him. The owner owns most of the "Black Series" collection of AMG.What did he do? He dumped his AMG GTS like a rotten hot potato.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

i have a GT s. It's awesome, no issues. I also have a turbo s and would say they are both great but I drive the AMG more. It's awesome performance and a more visceral car.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek RS
Hard charging!!
Nice driving
Old 09-06-2017, 11:01 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
I have an AMG GTR on order looking for 2018 late spring/early summer delivery.

I want a .2 GT3 6MT so badly, but unless if I pay some crazy premium, the dealers will never give the allocation to me. (It doesn't matter how long ago you had your deposit in, they don't give a crap, they only offer allocations to selected ones who they can make big & fast money out of). I am not going to pay ever MSRP for some flipper's PREOWNED .2 GT3 which will flood the sales floor soon after deliveries start.

Both great cars at this price point. (assuming we all pay MSRP) I'd be happy with either one, or even better get both. I like to spec my own cars, so pre-owned market doesn't really work for me anyways.
MSRP on the GTR?
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

^ $157k base...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
MSRP on the GTR?
yes, in Canada though.

I'm not going to entertain in the games of paying premium for a new car. It will only make the already greedy car dealers, brokers, and flippers even greedier.

In fact, I just received an annual survey from Porsche and I am going to inform them about how dealers are playing the games of allocations of these GT cars. Maybe they won't give a fxxk, but that's all I can do. If Porsche doesn't want my money and business, there are always alternatives.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

yes, in Canada though.

I'm not going to entertain in the games of paying premium for a new car. It will only make the already greedy car dealers, brokers, and flippers even greedier.

In fact, I just received an annual survey from Porsche and I am going to inform them about how dealers are playing the games of allocations of these GT cars. Maybe they won't give a fxxk, but that's all I can do. If Porsche doesn't want my money and business, there are always alternatives.
183k.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

yes, in Canada though.

Cool. Did you buy from a corporate store?

I was wondering whether one can get any savings or free maintenance package.....haha.

I'm still on the fence about a deposit on GTR. Was told I could likely have one early summer next year. I really want the GT3 though I like what I see and read about the GTR. Contemplating trading my 997.2 in order to get both! But I think I'd regret that.

For sure fill out the survey truthfully. One would hope that's honestly how they improve the Porsche experience.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
^ $157k base...
I wish it was that in Canada

I was checking with the OP whether he paid MSRP or some other price.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

No one here in the USA that I know of paid over MSRP on the new GT-R. They are NOT limited like PORSCHE GT cars. AMG may cap production but the fact they "Watered Down" the AMG brand by slapping AMG decals on a not so real AMG car, I guarantee you, there'll be plenty to go around for anyone who wants one. That is why depreciation is like a "Ship Anchor."

With the issues of these GT-R being held at VPC for a variety of reasons (some waiting for five months ), many depositors have already backed out of their deposits. So, if you really want one, you'll get them them with no issues and more than likely below MSRP. Good luck!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

I wish it was that in Canada

I was checking with the OP whether he paid MSRP or some other price.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:53 PM
py0413
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Cool. Did you buy from a corporate store?

I was wondering whether one can get any savings or free maintenance package.....haha.

I'm still on the fence about a deposit on GTR. Was told I could likely have one early summer next year. I really want the GT3 though I like what I see and read about the GTR. Contemplating trading my 997.2 in order to get both! But I think I'd regret that.

For sure fill out the survey truthfully. One would hope that's honestly how they improve the Porsche experience.
I am paying MSRP and I think it is a corporate store. No special offers or any sort of discount/freebies. But it'll be the same if buying any 911(s) here too. No big deal, as long as they get me the allocation so I can build a car exactly how I want. Speaking of that, I still very much want a .2 GT3 6MT, if somehow I can get one, that sure will be added to my "not for sale" collection.

No one here in the USA that I know of paid over MSRP on the new GT-R. They are NOT limited like PORSCHE GT cars. AMG may cap production but the fact they "Watered Down" the AMG brand by slapping AMG decals on a not so real AMG car, I guarantee you, there'll be plenty to go around for anyone who wants one. That is why depreciation is like a "Ship Anchor."

With the issues of these GT-R being held at VPC for a variety of reasons (some waiting for five months ), many depositors have already backed out of their deposits. So, if you really want one, you'll get them them with no issues and more than likely below MSRP. Good luck!

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
It is not a limited production car, but same thing goes for GT3/RS/GT4, neither manufactures announces the total production number before these going into production. Unlike the GT2RS or the black series of MB which they do tell people exactly how many they will build from very beginning.

At this price point, nothing really is a bad car in terms of performance, they will have their own characters and offer very different driving experiences. I am looking forward to try something new.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
VPC?
Old 09-08-2017, 02:52 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Vehicle Preparation Center here in the USA is where these cars are being held several months now. It is an issue for people who placed deposits and orders, five going six months now. Those GT-R cars are withheld until it completely passes government requirements (i.e., emissions, etc.,). This is my first time to hear cars stuck five going six months at VPC due to not passing government regulatory requirements. Imagine those cars developing flat spots, salt dust eating up nuts and bolts, exterior paint exposed to natural elements, etc.,

The hand made AMGs, I will say are better than those "poser" ones which has a minor tune and slapped with AMG decals. Good luck.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

VPC?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After getting jerked around at two different Porsche dealerships on the GT3 (long story that spans over 16 months) I called two local MB stores to talk GT-R.

One told me they have no allocation and doubt that they'll ever get one because of the rumored "production ceiling". He did not even offer to build and submit to see if MB would accept.

The second dealer said there were only 4 open spots in all New England that did not have a customers name on it. He was nice enough to take my build and process the order to see if MB would accept or get an unallocated spot. No talk of more than MSRP or anything and was fairly optimistic being production turn around season to get a slot in with a delivery of 8-12 weeks. Just in time to sit in the garage until spring

Refreshing to not be told "12k-30k over MSRP is what my other customers are offering, can you play in that range". This is after going from a '14 CS2 to a '16 GTS and then anticipating a .2 GT3 to join the GTS in the garage .... fairly easy customer

Full disclosure my daily is a E63 AMG Wagon that I absolutely love to death. Fairly certain putting that amount of brute force in the very sexy GT-R body will be an enjoyable experience.

/rant
Old 09-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

My GT R has arrived. My dealer just sent me a few rather crappy photos. On holidays at the moment so won't get to see it for another couple of weeks.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: OT: AMG GT R