Sponsored by:

My GT3 engine just blew up

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:08 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
R. Deacon, curious about how your GT3 has been running? You obviously track it, any issue's?
Bronson7 logged 2k miles in first two weeks of ownership respecting the break in , then first track event with Chin 12-13-14 @ Sebring, around 30 t days now, on F motor with 16k total miles , 5 oil changes w/ mobile one 0-40
all done by P dealers. All good only short coming seems to be sitting in the
left seat . I NEVER drive the car in auto mode . My personal best at Sebring
2:20.01 have yet to break in the teens.
Always respect warm up and cool down as well
Dealer 12k service done early at 11k. Took new delivery two years ago yesterday
only mod Sharky center by pass installed first week by dealer
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
There were several 9A1 powered GT3 R cars that raced in GTD at this year's Daytona 24 (Weathertech, Heart of Racing, Park Place, Frikadelli; all I can think of off the top of my head).

All of them were fine, engine-wise after 24 hours of flat out racing in the engine's debut race.
understood Gavin's concern is on the "E and F" motors due high banking

on the right side of those engines.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Would it be possible to classify engine issues between those that drive primarily clockwise tracks vs. primarily counterclockwise? Maybe this will shed some light on the wear issue.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
There were several 9A1 powered GT3 R cars that raced in GTD at this year's Daytona 24 (Weathertech, Heart of Racing, Park Place, Frikadelli; all I can think of off the top of my head).

All of them were fine, engine-wise after 24 hours of flat out racing in the engine's debut race.
Good to know! Thanks. Cerainly provides some confidence. Thanks for the info!!!!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Very simply as far as I'm concerned the factory needs to let us know what the issue was with the motors that have had issues and failures and assure us that these issues will be taken care of on any GT engine even if the failure occurs outside the warranty period since it seems to be a design/manufacture issue that may not rear its head in a failure until after the warranty is out.

They represented 7 ways from Sunday that the GT engines were track purpose/focused engines and track durable.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Bronson7 logged 2k miles in first two weeks of ownership respecting the break in , then first track event with Chin 12-13-14 @ Sebring, around 30 t days now, on F motor with 16k total miles , 5 oil changes w/ mobile one 0-40
Thank you for sharing what seems to be a great experience with your gt3. Keep it up.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:54 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Good to know! Thanks. Cerainly provides some confidence. Thanks for the info!!!!
Additionally the Conti Tire support race on the Friday of next year's 24 is a 4 hour Enduro, so there will be a number of Cayman GT4s subjected to 4 hours on the high banks.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,784 Likes on 5,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Very simply as far as I'm concerned the factory needs to let us know what the issue was with the motors that have had issues and failures and assure us that these issues will be taken care of on any GT engine even if the failure occurs outside the warranty period since it seems to be a design/manufacture issue that may not rear its head in a failure until after the warranty is out.

They represented 7 ways from Sunday that the GT engines were track purpose/focused engines and track durable.
What makes you say the GT3 engine is not "track durable"?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Just throwing it out there. Have been following both this thread and the other on similar subject.

Could the engine failures have something to do with that those that DONT drive in auto mode short shift a little more and put less stress on internals than those that drive in Auto and therefore more often hit redline.

I think I've heard Trakcar say that he short shifts his car.

Now Deacon saying the same thing?
Would be interesting to know if Manifold and those that have E and F engines that have held up fine is doing more driving in Manual and short shift a little before redline?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Just throwing it out there. Have been following both this thread and the other on similar subject.

Could the engine failures have something to do with that those that DONT drive in auto mode short shift a little more and put less stress on internals than those that drive in Auto and therefore more often hit redline.

Would be interesting to know if Manifold and those that have E and F engines that have held up fine is doing more driving in Manual and short shift a little before redline?
I originally did around 1-2K track miles in auto mode, but all of the remaining roughly 5-6K track miles have been in manual mode. I routinely short shift a bit (not sure how much), maybe mainly because I still can't wrap my mind around the sound of 9K. Sometimes I downshift a bit too early (bad habit!), which gets me close to redline. But bottom line, my car isn't spending much time above 8500 rpm.

Aside from the engine durability aspect, I recommend manual mode on track. It's good to know what gear you're in, good to control when the car shifts, connects with you with the car more in general, and it's more fun.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:57 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Orthojoe drives in auto as well, but I agree it is a relevant variable. If I end up with another GT3 I plan to short shift.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:35 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 458 and gt3 both with 9000 rpm. I don't like to go there on either car cause I don't care for the sound. The screaming (458) or whining (gt3) gets too much to reach 9000. I am comfortable shifting between 7000-8000 on both.

On track I use auto mode only in the gt3. That also frequently results in a shift below 9000 but does occasionally go all the way to 9000.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
What makes you say the GT3 engine is not "track durable"?
Ask the OP that question.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:58 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

Very interesting point you made. Let's hope more chime in on this.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:19 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

^ Carmen have you learned of the cause for your engine failure ? I learned at Suncoast Instructor weekend that Gavin thinks the high banking at Daytona could possibly be a real problem for the
91A motor , Julio's red Gt3 engine didn't make it thru the first session at Sebring having been previously run at Daytona last Feb. Did you make down to instruct ?
We are still in the process of getting an approval for a new engine. Porsche of Melbourne has allowed me access to take pictures of the tear down but they don't help much with root cause. I only completed one session at Daytona and wear was pretty bad on the #6 cam lobe and follower. Honestly I don't know if Daytona hastened or caused the failure but what Gavin says makes sense.

Since I didn't have a car and Amy said she had plenty of instructors, I didn't go. Missed the track walk but there is next year. Hoping to get the car back for January events.

Quick Reply: My GT3 engine just blew up