Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
From https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

5. If you own a GT3 or RS, AP says follow a break in procedure! Maybe not as slow as the manual says, but low revs for first 750 mi or so, and then increment them up after. Really he thinks any Porsche engine should be broken in, but especially high rpm motors.
[...]
It's really too bad Porsche doesn't break in the drivetrain at the factory. 2000 miles is a non-trivial percentage of the mileage these cars will typically see. It wouldn't be too difficult to do and owners would be ecstatic to hoon a car right off the lot without fear.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
With a 300K mile adjustment window versus the normal 12-15K miles. Can't wait to see what they did!
This was mentioned (in KM, not miles) by AP as experience with development cars. I would be surprised if they'll be truely zero maintenance in the wild.

Surely Porsche put lots of miles on a number of 991.1 engines without these fiery conrod and DLC coating failures...
Old 06-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Jimbo,

I don't mean to be offensive, but these speculations (the term you used in your first post on this topic) are not accurate.

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I know that a pdk has clutches. The speed at which a pdk and manual shift is very different. Pdk has 2 banks of gears odd and even. All the gears are mechanically spinning due to a dual clutch setup.
With the manual that isnt true.
It is true. With a manual trans, all the gears are mechanically connected together and spinning at all times. The speed of each output gear is determined by the selected gear, which is coupled to the output shaft. So if you are going 150mph in 6th, the 1st gear output gear is spinning at like 35,000 RPMs (it just isn't connected to the output shaft).

The next gear in the pdk is rotating at a set rpm which is equal too the gear before it. Thats a mechanical affect having nothing to do with the ecu. The engine is forced to a lower rpm instantly upon taking the next gear.
This is EXACTLY what happens in a manual transmission in every respect, it just happens with a slightly different mechanism. A manual transmission effectively has two "clutch like" mechanisms. The clutch and the gear synchros. When you change gears, the synchro changes the layshaft speed to the next selected gear speed to "set RPM equal to the gear before it."

From the perspective of the engine and the clutch, there is no difference whatsoever in any respect. The clutch matches the engine speed to the layshaft (manual) or second gearset (PDK) speed, which is matched to the output shaft via the gearing. It's literally exactly the same from the perspective of the engine.

Next time your out with your car take note of the situation. See how fast the rpms fall between shift. Its so fast that the engine seems to literally bind up. That certainly cant be good for a rotating mass to come to a halt that quickly. Something is absorbing the impact.
Now, you are just making things up with no basis in any actual mechanical reality. Your impression that the engine "seems to literally bind up" is wrong. The engine doesn't "halt." That is not correct. It just changes RPM, which is no big deal. Upshift from redline in 1st gear to 6th gear sometime as fast as you can. It will be a big change in RPM (likely much larger delta than PDK ever creates), but your car isn't going to halt. The RPMs are going to drop and all will be fine.

The forces you are imagining to be big (which only impact the crankshaft and camshafts, which are already rotating) are probably 100 orders of magnitude less than the tensile force applied to the connecting rod that changes direction 300 times per second at 9,000 RPMs with a tremendous pressure induced lateral force.

The "bang" you feel is just the full and rapid application of torque continuing the acceleration after a brief pause, like speed shifting a manual, only faster.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:58 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been on a forum hiatus for over a year since I got married. I'm on about page 25 of over 160 on this sad but important thread that I'm still reading. In my opinion this thread should be a sticky. Here are my data points to the extent it may help.

Vehicle: GT3
Model Year: 2015
Delivery date: December 3, 2014
Engine: F
Break in: From memory per AP (to 4k RPM per manual to 1000 mi then 1K incremental increases to 9k)
Mileage: 20850 (as of 07/02/17)
Track Mileage: 250 (after break in)
Service: Per manual. One oil change to date another coming soon.
Condition: A-Okay

The GT3 is my weekend and occasional week day car with the Cayenne putting on most of the daily miles. From what I've read to date, I don't think I'm driving the car hard enough under track conditions to be scoring the cams and, haven't received any warning messages or oil issues. Sure, I drive faster than most folks and, still do the occasional canyon run but, I'm not in sport auto repeatedly hitting 9k like many track rats here. I'll be bringing the car in soon for regular maintenance.

One thing I'm curious is why we can't replace out G parts such as oil pump but, I'll hold off on asking anything as I'm only about a sixth of the way through the thread and, need to educate myself. I am a bit concerned about what I've read so far as my intention is to keep title to this car until I'm six feet under or, I produce a kid who wants it and I'm absolutely sure wont kill himself or herself. Guess I need to check out extended warranty options down the road.

On a personal note for any who care, I've been busy living the married life and, growing my small law practice. We're at three attorneys in Los Angeles and Orange county now and looking to add a northern California office shortly. As for cars, I'm still waiting on the Mission E. I'm going to skip the GT2RS since there is no point to owning one except on the track if you already have a GT3. Plus, it's too much of a "look at me" car and, I'm too old for that. I'm hoping the Cayenne will turn into a baby mobile soon so, I may have an excuse to get a used manual transmission car to daily until the Mission E comes out and, maybe turn that in for a manual GT3 when allocations opportunities are better next year or the year after.

Dan (offers apologies to those who PM'd me regarding canyon runs and did not receive a response during my hiatus)
Old 07-02-2017, 03:36 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Okay, page 47 #700 Macca answered the question. F engines don't have parts that G engines have including cam lubrication beyond just an oil pump. It sounds like the entire engine would have to be dropped and rebuilt with a number of new parts. I guess that wont happen as a preventative measure although it sure sounds like it should be part of a recall if this is an ongoing known issue. And, I guess that's what the other thread regarding concerned owners is all about.

Dan (takes notes while reading)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigkraig
G motor has always done it. I track the usage. It's .5L per 150-200 miles
So weird. I have the G and uses not a drop. Last service they filled it to the top whereas the manual says leave it one bar under the line indicating full. So I have been waiting for level to drop. I don't track but throw it around the bends a bit.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
So now we know porshes final (?) solution to the finger follower issue.

They removed the hydraulic valve adjusters and made a fixed design.

"We have new finger followers with a stiff connection to the valve without any hydraulic adjustment between, which makes it lighter, which makes it a lot lighter to turn, which makes the forces pressure forces between the cam lobe and the finger follower much less - it is about 20 per cent less - so the material is less stressed without the pressure and it just frees up horsepower by deleting it. These are elements which called for a different head design, which called for a different geometry - you can't just go to a gen one engine and take them out! It is a new head and it is worth at least six, seven, eight, nine horsepower, something like that just with less friction." AP.
Why can these heads not be a retrofit option? Charge $10,000, give us an extra 25 horses and all is well.

Remember the 993 Turbo? Two retrofit factory options offered to 430 and to 450 horses. And yes the ECU needed updating.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:47 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Hopefully we'll have some answers on Thursday, when we meet with Porsche in Atlanta.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:52 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
Why can these heads not be a retrofit option? Charge $10,000, give us an extra 25 horses and all is well.

Remember the 993 Turbo? Two retrofit factory options offered to 430 and to 450 horses. And yes the ECU needed updating.
was the s package new heads or was it jsut an oil cooler and ecu and cams, I cant remember
Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,043 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
was the s package new heads or was it jsut an oil cooler and ecu and cams, I cant remember
Pretty sure not new heads, but maybe larger turbochargers with the rest...
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings

I wish it was that easy. I'm crossing my finger's that PAG has a plan.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
I wish it was that easy. I'm crossing my finger's that PAG has a plan.
Won't be long now, Bronson!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:50 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Hopefully we'll have some answers on Thursday, when we meet with Porsche in Atlanta.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:28 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
Pretty sure not new heads, but maybe larger turbochargers with the rest...
It was larger turbos. But the kit was pretty comprehensive and required quite some surgery!

I am just making the point that retrofit options have been set as a precedent.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2015 GT3 991
first (original) F engine was replaced after 7500 km
second G engine replaced at 31000 km
Old 08-14-2017, 12:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by krisa9977
2015 GT3 991
first (original) F engine was replaced after 7500 km
second G engine replaced at 31000 km
This is consistent with what we heard. Those G engines are not immune to this inclusion problem.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?