Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine really not a spirited public road DD. I demand thousand 9K redlines every track day duty. Having so much fun until "Oil at Minimum" pops up so I just open my 5Q Walmart special to replenish.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im over 6000 miles on the new replacement G. On the road it uses next to no oil (maybe 250ml over 4000 km). Thats with a number of spirited 9000 runs. On the track I use approx 125ml per track day (150 miles/100+ minutes). The first 4 track days I probably only used 80-100ml a day but it has stabilized at 125ml.

Craig, your oil consumption is abnormal. I recall another g engine replacement (or was it a newly delivered g engine RS) also reported on these forums to be using alot of oil but we never heard the outcome (may have just been a dodgy read out).
Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I recall another g engine replacement (or was it a newly delivered g engine RS) also reported on these forums to be using alot of oil but we never heard the outcome (may have just been a dodgy read out).
Friend of mine with RS always carries a 4L oil can in his RS, it drinks a lot.

His plan is to get a new engine but I don't know the status of the case as of now.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Does the new G engine feel any different from your previous one?
I had a rebuilt engine for a week before they installed the new one. The old engine with the rebuilt heads felt way stronger than before. That is to be expected since the new heads were actually firing all cylinders and all valves opening correctly. I was amazed at the difference in power and ability to rev. I found myself spinning the tires at stop lights due to old muscle memory. I suppose the slow loss of power from worn cams was so gradual I just adjusted to it. Thinking back to my last Sebring event I remember thinking it was odd that a similar red GT3 was able to pull on me between 5 and 7. Hindsight tells me I should have been investigating the power loss.

The new engine is very tight, and I am following the break in procedure, not exceeding 4000, so hard to tell about power. It seems to rev slower than the rebuilt old engine, but I believe that is the difference between a well worn in engine and a new one. I am reserving judgement until it is broken in. I have my first track event in January and that tell me if this engine is a keeper. Taking it for an oil change today and will get a sample.

Carmen
Old 12-21-2016, 10:19 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

G feels a lot stronger than my old E engine. FWIW my road driving does involve some high RPM shifting
Old 12-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I had a rebuilt engine for a week before they installed the new one. The old engine with the rebuilt heads felt way stronger than before. That is to be expected since the new heads were actually firing all cylinders and all valves opening correctly. I was amazed at the difference in power and ability to rev. I found myself spinning the tires at stop lights due to old muscle memory. I suppose the slow loss of power from worn cams was so gradual I just adjusted to it. Thinking back to my last Sebring event I remember thinking it was odd that a similar red GT3 was able to pull on me between 5 and 7. Hindsight tells me I should have been investigating the power loss.
Very interesting! My car has about 7K track miles and 23K total miles, so I'm wondering if it may be down on power compared to a fresher engine. I can't say that I've noticed anything, but of course any drop in power would likely be gradual.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,145 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Very interesting! My car has about 7K track miles and 23K total miles, so I'm wondering if it may be down on power compared to a fresher engine. I can't say that I've noticed anything, but of course any drop in power would likely be gradual.
I think one way to know is to check your top speed on the fastest straight at your track (assuming you have Harry's or another laptimer) - aside from very different weather conditions or braking points, that speed should be pretty close over time if no power loss.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think one way to know is to check your top speed on the fastest straight at your track (assuming you have Harry's or another laptimer) - aside from very different weather conditions or braking points, that speed should be pretty close over time if no power loss.
Good point, and will do.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Good point indeed. I lost about 3-4 mph on the straight between turns 16-17 from May and my last time at Sebring in September. My times were 2 seconds slower as well. At the time, I blamed over heated car and driver. Hmm

Carmen
Old 12-27-2016, 07:38 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Some good news.

Wrote a very detailed letter to my Porsche dealer today detailing my case, the fact that it was a known problem, that I was not given advance notice that I may have to pay, how much money I had spent on PCars in the last 18 months, highlight the track warranty conditions in the booklet that I had complied with, etc....and that if they did not positively resolve the situation I would marshal social media globally via Porsche forums.

I sent the email to my dealer at 1pm. My dealer forwarded it to PAG at around 2pm. Then at 5:30pm I got an email from my dealer saying that PAG had agreed to do the work under warranty.

Faith restored, if a little tarnished.
Seems I am very late to the party (but then again, no GT3 street car for me since a long time ), but when I had an oil leak on my 997 3.8 GT3 engine, they tried fixing it 6 times. After the 6th time they just gave me a replacement engine, free of charge. This was in Germany, with a car I didn't buy at that dealership (bought it off the showroom floor from a dealer 800km further), with at that point in time 50.000km on the clock and a lot of track use (which you could tell by looking at the car. Rubber marks, alignment, sandblasted wind screen etc.). They never even mentioned or asked if I tracked the car.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Seems I am very late to the party (but then again, no GT3 street car for me since a long time ), but when I had an oil leak on my 997 3.8 GT3 engine, they tried fixing it 6 times. After the 6th time they just gave me a replacement engine, free of charge. This was in Germany, with a car I didn't buy at that dealership (bought it off the showroom floor from a dealer 800km further), with at that point in time 50.000km on the clock and a lot of track use (which you could tell by looking at the car. Rubber marks, alignment, sandblasted wind screen etc.). They never even mentioned or asked if I tracked the car.
How much time elapsed during the period of trying to fix the oil leak?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Match-Lave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
This is very encouraging to hear. I believe PAG stands by its Brand, certainly understands it is centered in a combination of performance balanced with great quality and support when/if needed. While this thread is longer than we all would like, I have not heard of any folks being left out in the cold by PAG......THE reason is am hanging onto my '16 GT3 (1st GT car after owning 996 and 997s with great history) and am doing so with confidence- it's one hell of a machine......
Old 12-28-2016, 10:01 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronson7
How much time elapsed during the period of trying to fix the oil leak?
I think about 4 months?

The biggest issue was that under normal street driving all was fine. It only started spraying oil on one side of the engine (and the rear bumper ...) when driven hard on track or when doing 300km/h on the autobahn (high oil temperature situations). Very hard to reproduce, and the dealership even refused to test the car to see if it still happened after the repairs, telling me they are not allowed to drive customer cars in that way (which I perfectly understand). I had to go and drive flat out on the German autobahn myself to conduct some testing

Mind you it was a very small oil leak. Nothing that would throw a puddle of oil on the road or make my engine run low on oil. I guess they sent the engine back to Porsche. Too bad I never heard what the actual problem was.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Just checked the replacement parts catalogue. Seems they changed the valvetrain parts two times:
- new heads, new valve springs, new camshafts starting from engine F 03048 (must have been in early 2015)
- new camshafts (intake and exhaust) starting from engine G 05373 (mid 2016?)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:24 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I may stand corrected but I thought yesterday someone posted that they made about 206 '16 GT3's and ended production 12/15. Mine has a VIN Number with last 4 digits in the 4000 range.
Any thoughts.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?