Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
I'm a little confused about the G #. My replacement motor has number G60017; note that it starts with G6 and not G0 like the rest of the posts discuss.

This was the packing material... I still have it in my possession.

New G motor getting ready to go in.

Busted parts and hole.
Ok, here is my best guess. Thinking like an **** overly precise kraut I would keep a separate book and numbers for replacement motors than production motors.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
doesnt mean oil pumps have stopped. Doesn't the also occur with mt and light weight flywheels?
Yes but a little differently and there is some clutch slippage that can lighten the blow. In the pdks the engine is forced to go from foward inertia to backward inertia to foward inertia in a split second. This is probably the most violent time that the motor will see. To me it seems like a hammer blow of sorts. If there are any questionable parts. I believe this is where the point of failure would be.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Yes but a little differently and there is some clutch slippage that can lighten the blow. In the pdks the engine is forced to go from foward inertia to backward inertia to foward inertia in a split second.
The rotating shafts experience deceleration, but the valvetrain and pistons do not. Those execute full speed changes every cycle anyway. So to speak second deviation. I cannot see that any of the movement of pistons, valves or finger followers is changed in any way that is not simply lighter load at lower rpms, no matter the change rate.

ETA: unless there is some deformation in the shafts, or the housing or somesuch. You could possibly blame the guides that hold the camshaft in place, but that seems very far fetched.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:50 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Ok, here is my best guess. Thinking like an **** overly precise kraut I would keep a separate book and numbers for replacement motors than production motors.
Many Germans on here.

From Wiki - Kraut is a German word recorded in English from 1918 onwards as a derogatory term for a German, particularly a German soldier during World War I and World War II.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:14 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by squid42
The rotating shafts experience deceleration, but the valvetrain and pistons do not. Those execute full speed changes every cycle anyway. So to speak second deviation. I cannot see that any of the movement of pistons, valves or finger followers is changed in any way that is not simply lighter load at lower rpms, no matter the change rate.

ETA: unless there is some deformation in the shafts, or the housing or somesuch. You could possibly blame the guides that hold the camshaft in place, but that seems very far fetched.
Excuse my ignorance but how do the pistons and valvetrain decouple from the crank?

Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but how do the pistons and valvetrain decouple from the crank?
The load on them does not increase (in any way that I can see) when you lower rpms, no matter how suddenly you do that.

(valves, not valvetrain. The camshaft does have higher load on it when it has to suddenly lower its rotation frequency)

Since it is the Internet and face expressions don't transport, I am not poking you. I am just interested in finding out what's going on. In this particular case I cannot see how a high rate of reduction of rotation on part of the shafts can cause valves and finger followers to take more damage.

Obvious exception: if any of the shafts were to flex under this change then the pistons and valves would rightfully complain.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Yes but a little differently and there is some clutch slippage that can lighten the blow. In the pdks the engine is forced to go from foward inertia to backward inertia to foward inertia in a split second. This is probably the most violent time that the motor will see. To me it seems like a hammer blow of sorts. If there are any questionable parts. I believe this is where the point of failure would be.
I can see your point but not as to valve train.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Many Germans on here.

From Wiki - Kraut is a German word recorded in English from 1918 onwards as a derogatory term for a German, particularly a German soldier during World War I and World War II.
My use of that term is meant in an affectionate way. No offense meant. We were referred to as Yanks and the British as Tommies. I'm not "politically" correct nor will
inever be.

My home office is a World War II Memorial to my father. I have several decommissioned and disabled German weapons on display. I have a 6 foot scale model of a type VII German U boat on display above my desk. I Clearly understand the political and ideological general differences between Wehrmacht and the SS units from the war. I have nothing but respect for the German fighting spirit and mechanical skill they exhibited putting aside the political and ideological problems. So did my father who fought against them having received three purple hearts and a bronze star from active combat wounds and shrapnel.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Many Germans on here.

Don't worry...
He may be right on the separate list for replacement engines....
Old 03-05-2017, 03:04 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I can see your point but not as to valve train.
I still believe that the valvetrain is affected simply because on deceleration there is a vacuum present in the firing chamber. There also must exist a reversal of sacvanging going on. Numatic pressures could reach into the thousands of psi.
Eta: Even though it isnt felt. This is the equivalent of sticking a broom handle into a rotating fan blade.

Last edited by jimbo1111; 03-05-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce987
I'm a little confused about the G #. My replacement motor has number G60017; note that it starts with G6 and not G0 like the rest of the posts discuss.
.[/I]
G0 and G1 were earlier revisions and the latest replacements are G6. Not sure if there is any internal differences to the series 6. My replacement engine is a G60192 installed in December and posted in this thread. Finished break in and been to the track.

Last edited by CDinSing; 03-06-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 PM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Some time ago someone posted a guide to the run in of the GT3/GT3RS engines. Apparently it was AP's advice given at a presentation.

I have done a search on RL and cannot find it. Does anyone have it saved or bookmarked?

thx

DM
Old 03-05-2017, 11:55 PM
mlkissel1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vodavodk, I purchased my first GT3 6 months ago. Traded in a 2010 turbo, which I loved. But compared to the sensation of a 9000 RPM engine that makes your spine tingle every time you push the gas down; no contest. Mine is a 2015 F engine, thats certified 5 years, 100,000 miles, so I figure Ill find something else before the warranty expires. I recommend finding a certified car that will take worries out of an engine issue. Drive it and have fun, its a blast!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
Hi

Some time ago someone posted a guide to the run in of the GT3/GT3RS engines. Apparently it was AP's advice given at a presentation.

I have done a search on RL and cannot find it. Does anyone have it saved or bookmarked?

From https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

5. If you own a GT3 or RS, AP says follow a break in procedure! Maybe not as slow as the manual says, but low revs for first 750 mi or so, and then increment them up after. Really he thinks any Porsche engine should be broken in, but especially high rpm motors.

Or maybe this helps:

https://www.google.se/search?client=...rennlist.com&*
Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Kobalt

Exactly what I was trying to find. Thank you!!

regards

David

Just to add to this thread, at Rennsport V, Andreas Preuninger outlined of they way he breaks in his personal Porsche's, as well as the way the Weissach team breaks in their cars.

The manual says the first 2000 miles to keep the RPM’s below 4200rpm, but he has a different approach:
First 500 kms keep it below or at 5000 RPMs – (I think this should be 4000, Andreas might have been thinking the new RS)
For every 200 kms after that, increase the limit by 500 RPM
The redline on the GT4 is 7800 RPM, so the total break-in period will take 500 kms + (6*200) = 1700 kms
He recommends the first oil change at 1000 miles, can stretch to 1500 miles but the earlier the better.
Do an alignment at 1000 - 1500 miles once the suspension has settled - he claims it makes a difference

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?