Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
Kobalt

Exactly what I was trying to find. Thank you!!
You're welcome!

Here's neat trick to focus your Google search to a specific site: Rennlist.com in this case:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=break+in+ap+site%3Arennlist.com
Old 03-06-2017, 07:13 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

good tip

Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

So now we know porshes final (?) solution to the finger follower issue.

They removed the hydraulic valve adjusters and made a fixed design.

"We have new finger followers with a stiff connection to the valve without any hydraulic adjustment between, which makes it lighter, which makes it a lot lighter to turn, which makes the forces pressure forces between the cam lobe and the finger follower much less - it is about 20 per cent less - so the material is less stressed without the pressure and it just frees up horsepower by deleting it. These are elements which called for a different head design, which called for a different geometry - you can't just go to a gen one engine and take them out! It is a new head and it is worth at least six, seven, eight, nine horsepower, something like that just with less friction." AP.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Unfortunately they rushed to get the 991.1gt3 on the road.
The engine in the 991.2gt3 has been run all over the worlds racetracks during the last 12 months. With a lot of endurance wins.

This is the 991gt3 to get.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:48 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
So now we know porshes final (?) solution to the finger follower issue.

"We have new finger followers with a stiff connection to the valve without any hydraulic adjustment between, which makes it lighter, which makes it a lot lighter to turn, which makes the forces pressure forces between the cam lobe and the finger follower much less - it is about 20 per cent less - so the material is less stressed without the pressure and it just frees up horsepower by deleting it. These are elements which called for a different head design, which called for a different geometry - you can't just go to a gen one engine and take them out! It is a new head and it is worth at least six, seven, eight, nine horsepower, something like that just with less friction." AP.
Can't wait for the parts drawings.

Possible source for the quote:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-g...-new-gt3/35880

It also says that the redline is 9000 rpm.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Its quoted from there. 9.000 redline is also confirmed.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
My use of that term is meant in an affectionate way. No offense meant. We were referred to as Yanks and the British as Tommies. I'm not "politically" correct nor will
inever be.

My home office is a World War II Memorial to my father. I have several decommissioned and disabled German weapons on display. I have a 6 foot scale model of a type VII German U boat on display above my desk. I Clearly understand the political and ideological general differences between Wehrmacht and the SS units from the war. I have nothing but respect for the German fighting spirit and mechanical skill they exhibited putting aside the political and ideological problems. So did my father who fought against them having received three purple hearts and a bronze star from active combat wounds and shrapnel.
too many people are overly sensitive its gay PC thinking that has messed up America AND Germany. Did you build the u-boat? the 1/35 Andrea?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
With a 300K mile adjustment window versus the normal 12-15K miles. Can't wait to see what they did!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Can't wait to see what they did!
My guess regarding to our experience with the valvetrain: They hope
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone please explain to me what the Sport Chrono for GT3 package actually entails? I am of the belief it is just the "wart" (clock) on the dashboard.

PC tells me it includes engine mounts and sport buttons but I believe that is the case for the ordinary 911, not the GT3.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
Can someone please explain to me what the Sport Chrono for GT3 package actually entails? I am of the belief it is just the "wart" (clock) on the dashboard.

PC tells me it includes engine mounts and sport buttons but I believe that is the case for the ordinary 911, not the GT3.
From their build site... Including an analog stopwatch on the dashboard, a digital stopwatch in the instrument cluster, and performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Including support for the lap trigger available separately from Porsche Tequipment for automated and precise lap timing control. The results and video can then be analyzed and compared on your smartphone thanks to the Porsche Track Precision app offered as standard.

The GT3 already comes standard with PASM, Sport Mode Button (PDKS), and dynamic engine mounts. I have it on my GT3 just because I like it... my instrument cluster is guards red along with the wart... you can never have enough clocks to tell the time!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:36 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce987
From their build site... Including an analog stopwatch on the dashboard, a digital stopwatch in the instrument cluster, and performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Including support for the lap trigger available separately from Porsche Tequipment for automated and precise lap timing control. The results and video can then be analyzed and compared on your smartphone thanks to the Porsche Track Precision app offered as standard.

The GT3 already comes standard with PASM, Sport Mode Button (PDKS), and dynamic engine mounts. I have it on my GT3 just because I like it... my instrument cluster is guards red along with the wart... you can never have enough clocks to tell the time!
Thanks Bruce. You are confirming what I thought. So I was at my local PC and they called up the site to spec the new GT3 and gave me the wrong story.

By the way my GT3 is red also. Clearly we both have good taste. And no, I am not going to bother to get the new one.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:20 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Yes but a little differently and there is some clutch slippage that can lighten the blow. In the pdks the engine is forced to go from foward inertia to backward inertia to foward inertia in a split second. This is probably the most violent time that the motor will see. To me it seems like a hammer blow of sorts. If there are any questionable parts. I believe this is where the point of failure would be.

Hmm, 2 things.

1-PDK have clutches too, they are called 'dual clutch' for a reason. Just because there is no clutch paddle doesn't mean it has a solid connection.

2-ECU knows exactly what rpm from one gear matches to another gear, there is no guessing like from a human driver on manual cars. Plus, the ECU controls EVERYTHING, it can change timing, cut firing, etc to help with decreasing the rpm on shifts.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Hmm, 2 things. 1-PDK have clutches too, they are called 'dual clutch' for a reason. Just because there is no clutch paddle doesn't mean it has a solid connection. 2-ECU knows exactly what rpm from one gear matches to another gear, there is no guessing like from a human driver on manual cars. Plus, the ECU controls EVERYTHING, it can change timing, cut firing, etc to help with decreasing the rpm on shifts.
Absolutely, it takes the human factor out. I love a manual transmission, but I'll never pretend I can match the PDK-S in speed, smooth transitions, or ability to limit strain on the drivetrain.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 AM
TheDapperDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 33 Posts

just got back my car a few days ago, it was at the dealer for a total of 108 days.
Took a while since its the first GT3 in Saudi that needed a topend, car seems fine but I havent done any high revs as I am waiting to pass 1000 KMs after the top end before high revving.
Will know the outcome in a few days

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?