Sponsored by:

OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Considering all types of Vipers typically take huge depreciation hits, is ordering an ACR Extreme at MSRP even sensible ?
No, if your primary concern is depreciation. But looks like you bought a Cayenne, so do you really care about depreciation on a vehicle you drive?

Extreme Aero is meant to be used on track. Hard. Do that with a GT3 and RS and see how they fare on resale. These heady prices are, I suspect, for garage queens.

I personally don't buy late model cars with a focus on resale, and I'd wager that net loss on resale of an Extreme Aero with, say 5K track miles, would be far less than on a GT3RS bought at current market value used the same way.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Wow - what a time we live in. Buying a 300K car for dedicated track use and we're talking about which will depreciate the the least.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Considering all types of Vipers typically take huge depreciation hits, is ordering an ACR Extreme at MSRP even sensible ?
As far as I'm concerned I'm writing a 140k check and saying bye bye to my money with a BIG smile on my face.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Wow - what a time we live in. Buying a 300K car for dedicated track use and we're talking about which will depreciate the the least.
The guys having the most fun at track days seem to be driving cars with a current value under $100K (997 GT3, C6 Z06, M3, Cayman R, Cayman S, non GT 911 etc.). As a general rule, the cheaper the car, the more fun they seem to have...
Old 12-09-2015, 03:26 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
The guys having the most fun at track days seem to be driving cars with a current value under $100K (997 GT3, C6 Z06, M3, Cayman R, Cayman S, non GT 911 etc.). As a general rule, the cheaper the car, the more fun they seem to have...
+1000
Old 12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
+1000
Spec Miata has crossed my mind more than once for this reason, but I still have more fun in the 991 GT3 than the Cayman R. Having good track insurance like Open Track (https://www.theopentrack.com/) does a lot to reduce the stress of tracking an expensive car.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
No, if your primary concern is depreciation. But looks like you bought a Cayenne, so do you really care about depreciation on a vehicle you drive?

Extreme Aero is meant to be used on track. Hard. Do that with a GT3 and RS and see how they fare on resale. These heady prices are, I suspect, for garage queens.

I personally don't buy late model cars with a focus on resale, and I'd wager that net loss on resale of an Extreme Aero with, say 5K track miles, would be far less than on a GT3RS bought at current market value used the same way.
Nope not my primary concern, I was curious how big of a hit the topdog ACR would be since from what I hear many dealers want sticker (no haggling). When it comes to the ACR the're spewing their usual mumbo jumbo. IMO I think it's priced quite high for the Extreme particularly since it's well known Vipers across the board are being discounted quite heavily.

BTW I don't have a Cayenne... it's a Macan Turbo I got with a pretty hefty discount .
Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you can't kick *** with the aero grip, huge tires, and 645 hp, then maybe you want to go back to school or consider a different hobby
With your typical comeback (...if an owner wants more power, then he doesn't know how to drive...), then maybe you want to go to another forum or consider a different board.

And vipers drop valves with stock components.

And if adding more HP is so irrational, then why does Dodge do that themselves with each generation?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
With your typical comeback (...if an owner wants more power, then he doesn't know how to drive...), then maybe you want to go to another forum or consider a different board.

And vipers drop valves with stock components.

And if adding more HP is so irrational, then why does Dodge do that themselves with each generation?
My point was more to keep warranty on a track car. Any car can have engine failures but I think it's far less likely stock and if it happens you have recourse for free repair. Driven at the performance limit, track driving is very, very hard on cars. Do you track your modded cars and if so how do they hold up? I've had serious brake and cooling problems with every modded car I have tracked- or worse.

And I do think that throwing power at a track car is the last thing to do. Safety is first. Then reliability. Then setup and driver proficiency. If after these things you are within a second or 2 of a pro (I think any dedicated enthusiast can achieve that kind of pace), then maybe consider power.

To each their own. I see lots of guys at DE with powerhouses lapping for fun but well under the car capacity. To me I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow and the stock ability of the Extreme is so high I'd want to take a long time optimizing setup and torquing the loose nut behind the wheel before adding power to the already ample 645.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

My point was more to keep warranty on a track car. Any car can have engine failures but I think it's far less likely stock and if it happens you have recourse for free repair. Driven at the performance limit, track driving is very, very hard on cars. Do you track your modded cars and if so how do they hold up? I've had serious brake and cooling problems with every modded car I have tracked- or worse.

And I do think that throwing power at a track car is the last thing to do. Safety is first. Then reliability. Then setup and driver proficiency. If after these things you are within a second or 2 of a pro (I think any dedicated enthusiast can achieve that kind of pace), then maybe consider power.

To each their own. I see lots of guys at DE with powerhouses lapping for fun but well under the car capacity. To me I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow and the stock ability of the Extreme is so high I'd want to take a long time optimizing setup and torquing the loose nut behind the wheel before adding power to the already ample 645.
+1 on all of this.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
As far as I'm concerned I'm writing a 140k check and saying bye bye to my money with a BIG smile on my face.
I agree- I figure any one with the money to buy these cars and track realize you can total it any time you are out there. Sort of like playing Professional Football and not thinking you will not get injured on any down.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I agree- I figure any one with the money to buy these cars and track realize you can total it any time you are out there. Sort of like playing Professional Football and not thinking you will not get injured on any down.
You always mention that you don't track your car. Any reason? You will have 1000x more fun doing even a DE than you will on a "spirited" weekend drive. Just wondering.

And thanks CJ for the awesome review. I am ridiculously intrigued by the ACR.....
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
You always mention that you don't track your car. Any reason? You will have 1000x more fun doing even a DE than you will on a "spirited" weekend drive. Just wondering.

And thanks CJ for the awesome review. I am ridiculously intrigued by the ACR.....
Fair Question- I should track my car and especially after the Courtesy event Porsche did in Atlanta which I thoroughly enjoyed. I help run an International Trading Company all week and I have a 6 year old Son so I keep myself pretty busy. I also love to Golf and have other Hobbies. I guess that is no excuse because we all have time for things we enjoy but I take a couple hours every weekend just enjoying my sports car on spirited drives. And I always seek the most pure driving experience. I have the personality trait of trying to be a perfectionist so I seek that in everything. I guess most of us had posters on our walls of cars we dreamed to own and I have always have been a fanatic so I am happy I can enjoy those things.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

I am so ridonculously jealous of CJ that it is Embarassing and glad he takes the time to contribute. I desperately want to be on his T Hill 25 hour team some day. But it's all good, as a bad day at the track is better than a good day at the "office." These days it really is impossible to exploit the performance envelope of a performance car unless you go to the track, and even then you better have skills or you look foolish.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Fair Question- I should track my car and especially after the Courtesy event Porsche did in Atlanta which I thoroughly enjoyed. I help run an International Trading Company all week and I have a 6 year old Son so I keep myself pretty busy. I also love to Golf and have other Hobbies. I guess that is no excuse because we all have time for things we enjoy but I take a couple hours every weekend just enjoying my sports car on spirited drives. And I always seek the most pure driving experience. I have the personality trait of trying to be a perfectionist so I seek that in everything. I guess most of us had posters on our walls of cars we dreamed to own and I have always have been a fanatic so I am happy I can enjoy those things.
You might consider doing one or two track days a year. That won't put too much wear and tear on the car at your level. You won't get 'good' that way, but it'll recalibrate your sense of what these cars were designed for and maybe deepen your enjoyment and appreciation of them, especially if you do a ride-along with a good instructor who can drive. If you can do an event with Chin, that would be my first recommendation.

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR