Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:13 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR.
Is your floor finish textured? Or smooth?

I finished my floor last year and the finish was textured, zero issue when wet or over the winter time.

smooth finish

they told me that the non-slip additives that add texture eventually fail and cause the clear coat to peel prematurely
Old 01-02-2021, 01:15 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have RaceDeck Free Flow and love it. RD FF and Swisstrax are basically the same product, just with different connections and sheen. Get a sample of each and see which you prefer. Cleans up really easy.

I also have New Age cabinets and think they’re great for the money.

that looks great!!!...while i see you live in CA you wouldn't have the winter issues we have here with tons of crap depositing below the tiles...have you had them long?...do you just shop vac it?

+1 on the New Age...I think thats where i will save some dough again...need to allocate it for neon...
Old 01-02-2021, 02:43 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 703 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by handdoc
that looks great!!!...while i see you live in CA you wouldn't have the winter issues we have here with tons of crap depositing below the tiles...have you had them long?...do you just shop vac it?

+1 on the New Age...I think thats where i will save some dough again...need to allocate it for neon...
You didn’t ask me but we have Swisstrax here in KY with snow, ice and a ton of rain. No issues. Use a blower every so often and it looks great.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Yup, I just shop vac it every once in a while. Everything comes right up. The best part of these or Swisstrax is that all the water drips through to the floor, so you don’t get any puddles. I would think it would be great for a snowy climate. Very comfortable to walk on and also easy to just pull up if you ever need to.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:05 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
You didn’t ask me but we have Swisstrax here in KY with snow, ice and a ton of rain. No issues. Use a blower every so often and it looks great.

so does it get clean underneath the tiles?...and ty for the input!
Old 01-02-2021, 05:06 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Yup, I just shop vac it every once in a while. Everything comes right up. The best part of these or Swisstrax is that all the water drips through to the floor, so you don’t get any puddles. I would think it would be great for a snowy climate. Very comfortable to walk on and also easy to just pull up if you ever need to.
sounds perfect...how'd the install go...
Old 01-02-2021, 05:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

sounds perfect...how'd the install go...
It’s simple. Like putting together legos. I’ve moved mine from house to house. This time they’re under the cabinets though. I had to trim in a few spots to fit perfect, but it’s easy.

All you need is a rubber mallet and a saw if you want to trim to fit exactly.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:14 PM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

It’s simple. Like putting together legos. I’ve moved mine from house to house. This time they’re under the cabinets though. I had to trim in a few spots to fit perfect, but it’s easy.

All you need is a rubber mallet and a saw if you want to trim to fit exactly.
this is very helpful info, TY!!!!
Old 01-02-2021, 05:27 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 617 Likes on 302 Posts

My Swisstrax is holding up well oil spills clean right up and Corona spills no problem either 😁
Rich

The following 2 users liked this post by uscarrera:
MovingChicane (01-02-2021), yohoba (01-06-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:17 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

some beautiful garages here for sure

i'm in the process of doing another garage project...my biggest issue here in New England is the flooring...currently i have full epoxy by a local franchise of garage experts...they did an awesome job, looks super....like most epoxy over time the clear coat shine dulls

biggest issue is its slippery when wet...in winter its brutal

so my main use garage i wont do epoxy or anything that looks slippery...looking/thinking race deck vs swisstrax with the perforated tiles...i almost went that way prior but was concerned with them staining well as all of the stuff left underneath then which i felt would be difficult to clean

speaking with swisstrax, they claim w/ a shop vac you can suck everything up through the tiles

the other garage would be for storage/entertainment...only dry day cars...there will be several lifts to store at least 8 cars...thought about epoxy there because it looks so nice, but with the tiles could make a cool design etc

lower walls currently have diamond plate around them, which looks great and is easy to maintain, maybe do something cool on the ceiling too...currently have some new age cabinets i got at costco which look and work well...with the cost prolly do similar again to save some dough

any positive constructive input is appreciated considering the beautiful stuff pictured here

This gives a representative idea of what I described
Have you thought about Porcelain tile? I had tried polished concrete, epoxy, race deck before, but was never happy. On my current garages I went with commercial porcelain tile, which is rated to be slip resistant. It’s is not slippery at all when wet.

Im in NJ, and we have snow, salt, rain etc. No issues. Just vacuum, blow, sweep, or have the cleaning lady take of it.

My R8 runs on snow tires in the winter and when I come home it’s packed with snow and salt. I throw down those black mats that catch all the water and just brush it out when I have time.

The following 5 users liked this post by fastmd:
cadster (01-03-2021), Flat6997 (01-03-2021), Hothonda (01-04-2021), lax01 (01-02-2021), vtgt (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 02:45 AM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsches
I always wanted to do my own brick wall...so I’m trying it in the garage. It’s real clay fired brick and then cut thin, different thickness....and I’ll do the mortar so it looks old like the exterior. It’s glued to ½’ plywood - glue maintains a softness to allow for expansion and slight movement throughout the season. My two Bedpack Autostacker lifts are in as well.

That looks great, any more pics of the garage?
Old 01-03-2021, 09:41 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
Have you thought about Porcelain tile? I had tried polished concrete, epoxy, race deck before, but was never happy. On my current garages I went with commercial porcelain tile, which is rated to be slip resistant. It’s is not slippery at all when wet.

Im in NJ, and we have snow, salt, rain etc. No issues. Just vacuum, blow, sweep, or have the cleaning lady take of it.

My R8 runs on snow tires in the winter and when I come home it’s packed with snow and salt. I throw down those black mats that catch all the water and just brush it out when I have time.

i had thought about porcelain tile...and ive seen it used before...i was worried about it cracking over time...have you had any issues with that?...looks great in your garage and ive used those mats before in winter, they work great!
Old 01-03-2021, 02:49 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

i had thought about porcelain tile...and ive seen it used before...i was worried about it cracking over time...have you had any issues with that?...looks great in your garage and ive used those mats before in winter, they work great!
I have PEI 4 rated tile that was back buttered in my garage (PEI 4 or 5 work well). Just make sure you have the installer back-butter the tile. My guys placed 'leveler' and then an isometric elastic layer as well.

Last edited by awew911; 01-03-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I had Racedeck in my old garage and PEI 5 in my new garage. Racedeck is an incredible product in that you can create a really cool looking garage with a durable floor in an afternoon. I'd say it's a long-term garage floor for most "normal" home garages. I did lots of heavy mechanical work on mine -- pulling engines and transmissions with cherry pickers, etc. and -- while it physically held up just fine -- the lighter tiles will show the grease and wear over time and no amount of cleaning really brings them back to new. Greasy heavy parts will gouge the plastic and drive grease/dirt into the abrasions, making them virtually impossible to make look new again. (A friend of mine experimented with power washing/heat/sealants and such and made his look pretty darn good, but the labor to get there was more than it was worth at $4 per new tile or whatever.) When mine got really bad, I just replaced the bad ones in an afternoon for a couple hundred bucks, and the garage looked new again. I'm a little over a year into the PEI 5 tiles, and so far they are holding up flawlessly. I read that the PEI 5 rating is really about how well the surface appearance holds up, rather than the strength of the porcelain itself. I once stabbed at a spare tile with a screwdriver and couldn't make a mark -- even though I was hitting it hard enough to make sparks! Properly installed, porcelain tiles are super strong and impact resistant. I've dropped plenty of tools on mine so far, and at least one transmission skid plate, and they didn't make a mark. And, while not as easy to replace as Racedeck, you can replace individual tiles if something should damage them -- which is not true with a concrete floor. Just my two cents having tried both....

PEI 5 porcelain....

Racedeck....
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom M'Guinn:
fester (01-28-2021), Ohio Performance (01-09-2021), porscheflat6 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 03:19 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 207 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone contributing to the thread.....am property hunting and it's actually changed my plans for the purchase and garage setup....thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by A432:
Burren (01-03-2021), CPTAmericaMV (01-03-2021)

Quick Reply: picture of your garage