Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 02:33 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,266 Likes on 945 Posts

All right- here we go. Selling our current home and building a new one with a hill side lot and a view of the valley. One perk I get to indulge in is a 6 car garage with a loft above where my home office, golf simulator and excessive area is.

my wife has her own 2 car garage separate from this. I can fit 6 cars easy. More if I decide to do lifts which I’m not wanting to do. 6 cars is enough for me. 8 total with my wife.

i need to find cool ideas to make my office/garage/man cave super unique. On the hunt for ideas.

we break ground probably January with a 16 mo th build. Here is a snippet of the current design of the garage.

The following users liked this post:
Finlander (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 07:12 AM
tubwreck
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMD
Any tricks/tips on backing onto a lift?
Nuclear option: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-a-lift-2.html
Old 08-15-2020, 10:03 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 414 Posts

I will be honest with you, that 6 car garage looks awfully tight. With one door opening only, realistically you will only have access to two cars at a time (with 5 cars) without needing to maneuver your cars around. With 6 cars, you would only have access to 1 car. I would suggest trying to have second door opening to give yourself more flexibility. With the way it currently sits, you will have a hard time parking the car in the inside spot (eg. the spot occupied by the Mercedes SLK in your drawings) and this would prevent you from installing any nice cabinets and other garage arts.

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
All right- here we go. Selling our current home and building a new one with a hill side lot and a view of the valley. One perk I get to indulge in is a 6 car garage with a loft above where my home office, golf simulator and excessive area is.

my wife has her own 2 car garage separate from this. I can fit 6 cars easy. More if I decide to do lifts which I’m not wanting to do. 6 cars is enough for me. 8 total with my wife.

i need to find cool ideas to make my office/garage/man cave super unique. On the hunt for ideas.

we break ground probably January with a 16 mo th build. Here is a snippet of the current design of the garage.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Finally got some doors

love the doors

The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
bonehead (08-15-2020), fijibubba (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I will be honest with you, that 6 car garage looks awfully tight. With one door opening only, realistically you will only have access to two cars at a time (with 5 cars) without needing to maneuver your cars around. With 6 cars, you would only have access to 1 car. I would suggest trying to have second door opening to give yourself more flexibility. With the way it currently sits, you will have a hard time parking the car in the inside spot (eg. the spot occupied by the Mercedes SLK in your drawings) and this would prevent you from installing any nice cabinets and other garage arts.
Access to cars is definitely important, if you plan to drive them all with any regularity. Our garage is currently 4 wide and 2 deep, plus a side for 1 car, so total of 9. We're using the side portion as a big mud room, so we're left with capacity for 8 cars. We currently have 6 cars, and the 4 cars at the doors get used the most. I've found that, while maneuvering cars around may not seem like a big deal, it's enough of a hassle that it can deter use of cars.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:30 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same 4 x 2 setup and it does effect car selection big time! I wonder if cars stored off site EVER get driven.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:38 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

I agree with some of the other comments about space around cars.

My main garage is 56x35 for just 3 cars. I love it because you can open car doors completely next to one another and still have room to get in between. I don’t have to worry about the kids dinging doors and have plenty of room to work around the vehicles, load and unload stuff, etc. The 35ft depth is perfect for my Raptor. I can pull all the way in, have room for a work bench in front, plus standing/working room, and room to drop the tailgate in back and load stuff in it.

My second garage, the one in my avatar, is 60x40.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:40 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
love the doors

Ha! I had one of your garage pics saved to show my builder which doors I wanted for my house

Last edited by bonehead; 08-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bonehead:
Apex Ace (08-15-2020), Maverick787 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:05 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

We love them ..........cool at night when you turn on the inside lights they gave a glow looking from outside.
fijibubba (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I measured my current garage with my architect to get these dimensions for the new garage. Reality is I have three cars currently (for me personally). I’ll add a 4th. Anything beyond that will be more of a showcase/collectors car that won’t get driven much that can be parked at the end.

The reason there is only one garage door is to better insulate the space. The entire garage and my loft/office/workout/golf simulator overlooking the cars will be air conditioned. We don’t want to put a bunch of garage doors so as to lose energy efficiency.

Space works for my needs and while I agree more is always better we have major limitations with set backs and grading but I’ll look to see if we can squeeze a few more feet out of it.

Edit: just looked at my site map. That’s as big as it’s gonna get. We are right up against the building envelope. I’m good with it.

Last edited by Yippiekiaye; 08-15-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:30 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

I measured my current garage with my architect to get these dimensions for the new garage. Reality is I have three cars currently (for me personally). I’ll add a 4th. Anything beyond that will be more of a showcase/collectors car that won’t get driven much that can be parked at the end.

The reason there is only one garage door is to better insulate the space. The entire garage and my loft/office/workout/golf simulator overlooking the cars will be air conditioned. We don’t want to put a bunch of garage doors so as to lose energy efficiency.

Space works for my needs and while I agree more is always better we have major limitations with set backs and grading but I’ll look to see if we can squeeze a few more feet out of it.

Edit: just looked at my site map. That’s as big as it’s gonna get. We are right up against the building envelope. I’m good with it.
Looks good to me! You can always store a couple for me if you need to fill it.
Yippiekiaye (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 956 Posts

Anyone seen Anonymous 918?
Old 08-15-2020, 06:48 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
Looks good to me! You can always store a couple for me if you need to fill it.
anytime Joe!! Plans are moving nicely. Should have final floor plan wrapped up this week. Then 3d rendering to see final look and then couple months of work where the architects finish up the plans and submit to city.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:43 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 414 Posts

I get it, physical lot size and building code regulations is every car guy's dilemma.

Living in LA, land can be expensive. With the exception of SF and NYC, I envy everyone else and their homes. Big land and lots of garage spaces.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I get it, physical lot size and building code regulations is every car guy's dilemma.

Living in LA, land can be expensive. With the exception of SF and NYC, I envy everyone else and their homes. Big land and lots of garage spaces.

Appreciate it. Here is a snapshot of our build envelope. See the dotted line- I’m at my limit. This is as big as I can get and like I said- I’m perfectly fine with with. Wife was complaining it might be too big already. Lol.

morjo02 (09-06-2020)

Quick Reply: picture of your garage