Sponsored by:

picture of your garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 10:38 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
What are you guys doing to cool down your garages in the hot summer? I have a couple of heating units in my garage, but no air conditioning. My garage is close to 2000 sf, with capacity for 9 cars and 6 cars in it. To make the pandemic livable, we're using the extra garage space to allow my daughter to have her friends over with the garage doors open and maintaining social distancing.
Get a mini-split. With 2000 sq ft, I'm guessing you'll probably need a 3 or 4 ton unit?
The following 4 users liked this post by bonehead:
17bhub (07-20-2020), blackholescion (07-05-2020), cadster (07-06-2020), Manifold (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
Get a mini-split. With 2000 sq ft, I'm guessing you'll probably need a 3 or 4 ton unit?
Thanks. I had to Google it, and I see that Home Depot carries lots of these types of units.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:51 PM
homesauce
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. After a bunch of back and forth, I ended up with custom color baldhead cabinets. Could not recommend them enough!
Old 07-06-2020, 12:15 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by homesauce
Thanks for the kind words. After a bunch of back and forth, I ended up with custom color baldhead cabinets. Could not recommend them enough!
Looks great. They're on the shortlist for cabinets along with Moduline
Old 07-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 145 Posts

Cabinets look great...like the color. Is that a full size stainless steel refrigerator on the far left?

Based on that vise, look's like you may follow Obsessed Garage.

Here is my work in progress. I’m thinking a chalk 991.2 would match better don’t you think?

Old 07-06-2020, 10:29 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vise

Homesauce, That's a sturdy looking vise. How did you mount it to the stainless countertop? Thanks!

Old 07-06-2020, 12:57 PM
homesauce
Instructor

Yea I do support and follow obsessed garage. Matt is an inspiration for my garage for sure and consulted him for cabinet options before ultimately going with baldhead.

The fridge is a counter depth fridge from Blomberg. I am happy about how well it integrates, as it was a need because I was running out of fridge space in my living area.

The vise is bolted through the top of the cabinet with 4 holes that I hand drilled.
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 PM
MWA1977
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Yea I do support and follow obsessed garage. Matt is an inspiration for my garage for sure and consulted him for cabinet options before ultimately going with baldhead.

The fridge is a counter depth fridge from Blomberg. I am happy about how well it integrates, as it was a need because I was running out of fridge space in my living area.

The vise is bolted through the top of the cabinet with 4 holes that I hand drilled.
How do the Baldheads compare to say, Sonic MSS or MSS+, or Lista cabinets both regarding build quality as well as pricing? Those cabinets look great and their website has some appealing builds. Thanks
Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 PM
homesauce
Instructor

Comparing cabinets is a really difficult thing to do, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Lista are really nice obviously and are great that they can take a lot of weight in each drawer but that wasn’t really a big need for me as I do light mechanical work and spend most of my time doing detailing these days. The cabinets also didn’t really meet my target aesthetic as it seemed a bit out of date to me.

Sonic MSS was OK but I didn’t like that it only came in Grey color and it didn’t really have that pop factor I was looking for. Also, the fact that it wouldn’t be a build in setup and general lack of customization that would allow a wall to wall build made me steer away from it.

Sonic MSS+ are really sexy. I might have gone with that but they didn’t have short depth options and I needed a shorter depth setup because my garage isn’t very long and I want to be able to fit a lift and SUV in the garage down the road.

Other cabinet options were out there but I really did not want aluminum cabinets as I wanted something more robust.

The baldhead experience was great. A lot of back and forth design and collaborative feeling. It was about 2X the price of a sonic MSS setup, but that includes the full custom design (custom size cabinets, fridge enclosure, TV, custom color, built in look) and even included the full install option where they come to your house with the cabinets and install it for you! Just such an exceptional white glove experience, I could not say enough about how well they did.

Regarding the fit and finish of the cabinets, it is great. They even color matched the exterior screws and the TV mount has been amazing as it swings out to get access behind it. I’ll attach a pic here.

The following 3 users liked this post by homesauce:
cadster (07-08-2020), fijibubba (07-06-2020), Hyped (07-16-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 02:50 PM
D1ESEL
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
So I just found out that Dean sold Saber cabinets to some new company. Sad to say they have taken their pricing up to premium cabinet prices so be aware. I tried getting one last cabinet to finish my wall and literally with shipping (which they now have horrible rates) was over 1/3 of the price of my entire last order. Oh well I guess I will be doing without but wanted to make folks aware I would steer away from Saber. They are not worth the premium money.

What gray did you end up doing on your walls? I am currently struggling with that choice.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:21 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by D1ESEL
What gray did you end up doing on your walls? I am currently struggling with that choice.
Sherwin Williams from Lowes - Gray Matters
Old 07-06-2020, 03:27 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by achenator
Prices went up because of tariffs before the company was sold then went up further after the sale. I still think they are a decent value. What else is out there the competes in their price range? The big boys (lista, moduline) are way more. Even sonic is a good bit more.
Yeah I would just shop around. I am not sure but they were a GREAT value when I got them. I just don't think they are that great of a value and would probably do more research and make the jump to better for the money they are charging now. I am not sure how much the tariffs are still hitting them but they are definitely using that as an excuse. Its their business they can do what they want I was just warning folks to do their homework is all. Again I am out in the market for now as I just wanted to add one more cabinet but I will not spend that money so I will be going another route.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 PM
D1ESEL
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Sherwin Williams from Lowes - Gray Matters
thank you for sharing!

this is my progress so far. Going to paint the ceilings tomorrow and prime. Then paint the walls Thursday.

I ordered a ceiling fan and wired that in. I also just received lighting from Obsessed garage. I am going with 6 of their 4 tube LED lights.

I just need to decide on flooring and cabinets next. Torn between epoxy and Swisstrax

rocris120 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 145 Posts

Comparing cabinets is a really difficult thing to do, so please take this with a grain of salt.

Lista are really nice obviously and are great that they can take a lot of weight in each drawer but that wasn’t really a big need for me as I do light mechanical work and spend most of my time doing detailing these days. The cabinets also didn’t really meet my target aesthetic as it seemed a bit out of date to me.

Sonic MSS was OK but I didn’t like that it only came in Grey color and it didn’t really have that pop factor I was looking for. Also, the fact that it wouldn’t be a build in setup and general lack of customization that would allow a wall to wall build made me steer away from it.

Sonic MSS+ are really sexy. I might have gone with that but they didn’t have short depth options and I needed a shorter depth setup because my garage isn’t very long and I want to be able to fit a lift and SUV in the garage down the road.

Other cabinet options were out there but I really did not want aluminum cabinets as I wanted something more robust.

The baldhead experience was great. A lot of back and forth design and collaborative feeling. It was about 2X the price of a sonic MSS setup, but that includes the full custom design (custom size cabinets, fridge enclosure, TV, custom color, built in look) and even included the full install option where they come to your house with the cabinets and install it for you! Just such an exceptional white glove experience, I could not say enough about how well they did.

Regarding the fit and finish of the cabinets, it is great. They even color matched the exterior screws and the TV mount has been amazing as it swings out to get access behind it. I’ll attach a pic here.
I'm friends with Matt and really wanted to order cabinets through him but for the reasons you mentioned about MSS and MSS+ are the exact same reasons I started looking for something else.

I appreciate your feedback here because I had never heard of Baldhead but really like what I'm seeing and hearing. I'm going to reach out to them.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:24 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by D1ESEL
thank you for sharing!

this is my progress so far. Going to paint the ceilings tomorrow and prime. Then paint the walls Thursday.

I ordered a ceiling fan and wired that in. I also just received lighting from Obsessed garage. I am going with 6 of their 4 tube LED lights.

I just need to decide on flooring and cabinets next. Torn between epoxy and Swisstrax

Looks good. I would do Swisstrax over epoxy. I think epoxy starts looking bad shortly and I am a bit OCD. Polished concrete would be cool as well.
fijibubba (07-06-2020)

Quick Reply: picture of your garage