Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Already contacted a 918 owner I know to ask if he wants the car. Not an enthusiast in the sense GT3 and GT4 or even Porsch 911 owners are. Owns alot of "bling". Lives in Irvine. Owns a Pagani, 2 Veyrons, Saleen S7, McLaren P1, Mercedes SLR 722, Lambo Huracan, 918, hmmm did I miss something, Oh, yeah owned a GT3RS and sold it since it wasn't flashy enough or exciting enough for him. Lifes a bitch.

Anyway, Mr. "Purist" "enthusiast" said he already got the call from his dealer (of course) and he's is taking the "R" as he believes they will be "collectibles". Thats the enthusiast in him I guess (sarcasm if you couldn't tell) Expect another round of ridiculous stratopheric ADMs and markups on flips by the "enthusiasts" while the true enthusiasts get screwed once again by Porsche. Really a turn off. I guess Porsche figures the 918 don't have enough after all they only got first allocations of the RS. Why not another "gift"?

Called my dealer and he basically told me don't hold my breath. This is what a customer who has bought six 911's in the past 10 years is told. Whats wrong with this picture here? Anyone?

Hey, well all is not lost, they can sit right next to all those RSs on the lots languishing right now waiting for schmucks to come along and pay $75K, $100K, or maybe even $200K over. Hey, skys the limit.

Yeah, thanks Porsche.

So riddle me this. If "Andreas" said the "R" is for the purist enthusiast why are they giving guys who spent $900K+ on a PDK hybrid with all wheel drive first crack? Because these guys areby and large purists? BS. What a load of crap.

Agree with Nizer 100%.

Hey Andreas, tell me where I'm wrong if you are reading the forums like you said you guys were. More BS.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sure, but fun street driving is doing more with less...
Right, for the street I am already in danger of losing my license

I know everyone (including AP) is telling us how inappropriate the 911R would be for the track. But on my local track, I think it would be close to perfect for a modern car. Very few fast corners - quite technical, compared to the stuff we mostly drove in Europe. Good opportunities for a little sideways action without risking the car...
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waxer
Already contacted a 918 owner I know to ask if he wants the car. Not an enthusiast in the sense GT3 and GT4 or even Porsch 911 owners are. Owns alot of "bling". Lives in Irvine. Owns a Pagani, 2 Veyrons, Saleen S7, McLaren P1, Mercedes SLR 722, Lambo Huracan, 918, hmmm did I miss something, Oh, yeah owned a GT3RS and sold it since it wasn't flashy enough or exciting enough for him. Lifes a bitch.

Anyway, Mr. "Purist" "enthusiast" said he already got the call from his dealer (of course) and he's is taking the "R" as he believes they will be "collectibles". Thats the enthusiast in him I guess (sarcasm if you couldn't tell) Expect another round of ridiculous stratopheric ADMs and markups on flips by the "enthusiasts" while the true enthusiasts get screwed once again by Porsche. Really a turn off.

Called my dealer and he basically told me don't hold my breath. This is what a customer who has bought six 911's in the past 10 years is told. Whats wrong with this picture here? Anyone?

Hey, well all is not lost, they can sit right next to all those RSs on the lots languishing right now waiting for schmucks to come along and pay $75K, $100K, or maybe even $200K over. Hey, skys the limit.

Yeah, thanks Porsche.

So riddle me this. If "Andreas" said the "R" is for the purist enthusiast why are they giving guys who spent $900K+ on a PDK hybrid first crack? Because these guys areby and large purists? BS. What a load of crap.

Agree with Nizer 100%.

Hey Andreas, tell me where I'm wrong if you are reading the forums like you said you guys were. More BS.

this is why the usa's 918 vip thing is repulsive . i have a 918 and would get everything if we had such a system in the uk yet i am so happy we DO NOT have such a system .
Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Why couldn't the R be kept exclusive and limited while giving all loyal Porsche enthusiast owners an equal shot by giving dealers allocatoins and letting dealers award allocatoins based on waiting lists?

Exclusivity is based on production number not who the car goes to.

Well one good thing for enthusiasts looking for cars now is maybe the prices on GT3 may come down and the 997 Gen RS's may come down some. Looking for a nice 997RS as a possibility more and more but now with R and word that the next gen GT3 will have manual as an option prices on the previous gen RS may soften some more. Silver lining maybe for the Porsche enthusiast looking to buy.

Also the new R may soften new 992RS prices with more competition on the market and lot and word 60 more RS's are being built. I like the R but if given the choice would likely take an RS over it.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Already contacted a 918 owner I know to ask if he wants the car. Not an enthusiast in the sense GT3 and GT4 or even Porsch 911 owners are. Owns alot of "bling". Lives in Irvine. Owns a Pagani, 2 Veyrons, Saleen S7, McLaren P1, Mercedes SLR 722, Lambo Huracan, 918, hmmm did I miss something, Oh, yeah owned a GT3RS and sold it since it wasn't flashy enough or exciting enough for him. Lifes a bitch. Anyway, Mr. "Purist" "enthusiast" said he already got the call from his dealer (of course) and he's is taking the "R" as he believes they will be "collectibles". Thats the enthusiast in him I guess (sarcasm if you couldn't tell) Expect another round of ridiculous stratopheric ADMs and markups on flips by the "enthusiasts" while the true enthusiasts get screwed once again by Porsche. Really a turn off. I guess Porsche figures the 918 don't have enough after all they only got first allocations of the RS. Why not another "gift"? Called my dealer and he basically told me don't hold my breath. This is what a customer who has bought six 911's in the past 10 years is told. Whats wrong with this picture here? Anyone? Hey, well all is not lost, they can sit right next to all those RSs on the lots languishing right now waiting for schmucks to come along and pay $75K, $100K, or maybe even $200K over. Hey, skys the limit. Yeah, thanks Porsche. So riddle me this. If "Andreas" said the "R" is for the purist enthusiast why are they giving guys who spent $900K+ on a PDK hybrid with all wheel drive first crack? Because these guys areby and large purists? BS. What a load of crap. Agree with Nizer 100%. Hey Andreas, tell me where I'm wrong if you are reading the forums like you said you guys were. More BS.

Ok im gonna wait for the "911 NO BS"
Old 03-01-2016, 07:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
why do you want one , all the potshots you take I didn't think you were interested ?
Because I wanted to be the only nutter who tracked the hell out of the car. Oh well.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Porsche has very little serious sports/track car competition in the $80K to $200K range, so they're able to play all sorts of games in creating model variants, inducing demand, creating perceived and actual scarcity, keeping prices moderately high to quite high, VIP program, etc. Until they face some real competition, we're all at their mercy ...
Old 03-01-2016, 07:12 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Because I wanted to be the only nutter who tracked the hell out of the car. Oh well.
you won't be nearly the only one to track this thing and people "track the hell out of" cars a lot rarer and more valuable than a £130k 911 mate
Old 03-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
this is why the usa's 918 vip thing is repulsive . i have a 918 and would get everything if we had such a system in the uk yet i am so happy we DO NOT have such a system .
Agree. It does not exist in Europe either so it's a crazy USA only system. I have met quite a few guys over here who managed to snag an RS just because they have a great relationship with their dealer. A couple of these guys are also confident they will get a allocation for a R. None own a 918.

So the VIP programme is not a Porsche global programme...it's just a PCNA thing so take it up with them.

I also find it mildly amusing that a bunch people who relentlessly bashed this car months out from it's launch are now suddenly converts and want one.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:16 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

First one on Ebay will pop up for what? $500K?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Nice pic. Wondering .. Covers oil pan? Oil plug access? Just curious on the details. Interesting
Re the diffuser, seems to be reducing lift than generating real downforce. Just isn't low enough to the ground to create that true ground effect.

Looks like you'd take the diffuser off before every oil change, which is also the case for several mid-engined cars. No biggie.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris3963

I also find it mildly amusing that a bunch people who relentlessly bashed this car months out from it's launch are now suddenly converts and want one.
what a GREAT POST
Old 03-01-2016, 07:21 PM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Andreas

I just want to review one...how about that.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

How many 918 owners do you think can't drive stick?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,986 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
How many 918 owners do you think can't drive stick?
Good question...

Quick Reply: OT:911R