Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:21 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Would be interesting to compare the R with a base 991.2 Carrera with manual.

The Carrera is half the price and had a glowing review in a recent issue of Panorama. The new turbo engine is getting good reviews in terms of lack of lag, usable torque for the road, happily winding up to redline, and sounding good, especially with the sport exhaust. The steering feel and PASM calibration appear to be improved in the 991.2 over the 991.1. The shifter feel is also reportedly better than the 991.1. For tires, you can put Cup 2 on a Carrera, but the added grip over a summer street tire isn't really needed for the road. While the R has PCCB, I don't see the benefits being worth the high cost.

So it seems to me that the performance level of a base Carrera may be just as suited - or better suited - for road use than the R, and overall it may be a good choice for drivers seeking a 'purist' road car.

You're missing the whole point!!! The base Carrera is missing the most exciting part of the 911R- the XXX of 991 number plate. That makes all the difference.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

What I'd be very interested is a run of a 991R against the 991 GT3 RS. I hate drag races,especially when a Porsche is involved,I don't think it's a drag race car. But,I would like to see this drag race. I don't want turns because the RS has an advantage there. But in a drag race I want to see the advantage of PDK-S over a fast manual driver. I know there will be an advantage for the PDK-S car,but the question is by how much? I bet you the gap is not too big!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by A911SUV
And a 991.2 GTS version may even narrow the performance gap more....
In that Panorama review, they talk about how the base Carrera with manual was able to hang with an RS surprisingly well on the road. Apparently, that juicy torque curve makes a big difference in real world road driving. In the review, they even questioned getting an S over the base car because of the purity and playfulness of the base car.

Some quotes from the review:

"The Carrera is unexpectedly sharp yet confidence-inspiring, one of those rare cars that doesn't bite but is still fun and deeply rewarding to extend. That puts it up there with some of the best Porsches of the last 20 years. Think 987 Boxster Spyder, 997 Carrera GTS, and 991 GT3 - but more compliant than any of them. Those who buy on badge might miss this 911's brilliance."

"The 991 platform's biggest downfall is its size, and any version other than the standard Carrera adds width or weight - or both. We'd think long and hard before adding PDK or rear steer to a Carrera S, but we'd also think long and hard about buying an S over a Carrera. Time with a Carrera on its standard 19-inch wheels is limited, but the takeaways are predictable: They offer a slightly softer ride with slightly more playful handling."

"... Carrera is not only this tester's favorite 991 for the road, it's the most complete Carrera to date. It's perfect for daily use, and more than enough car for an occasional track day. Yes, you can buy more 911 - but you don't need to. Just be sure to tick the box for Sport Exhaust."
Old 03-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, 911 R is just like GT4 In that way, talk about the last seconds is not importent on track etc. I am fine With My GT4 not beeing the faster car out there, still It can take a beating all day long on track and It aint slow. Just like a 911 R. It can take a beating, just like gt3. Same same
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
That is just AP "selling" the fact that the RS will be PDK. He is trying to keep the mantra that track lap times need to have a PDK-S to compete. So, talk about the R as a street car....convince us the PDK-S is for the track
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What I'd be very interested is a run of a 991R against the 991 GT3 RS. I hate drag races,especially when a Porsche is involved,I don't think it's a drag race car. But,I would like to see this drag race. I don't want turns because the RS has an advantage there. But in a drag race I want to see the advantage of PDK-S over a fast manual driver. I know there will be an advantage for the PDK-S car,but the question is by how much? I bet you the gap is not too big!
Up shifts are not the problem when comparing manual to PDK(s). Down shifts are. In fact, most of the 0-60 times quoted from the PDK vs. Manual comparisons are down to the PDK having shorter gear ratios. The case cannot be made that the engine revs drop faster on a PDK car since fuel cutoff and piston inertia are limited by physical laws, the ECU for both transmission engines for up shifts is highly likely the same. Porsche is good at telling us that the PDK cars are faster, but when one digs in, the shorter ratios pop out. So the drag race would be comparable if and only if the gear ratios are the same. The real issue is the gearing - those should be the same for the drag race to have valid conclusions.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
You're missing the whole point!!! The base Carrera is missing the most exciting part of the 911R- the XXX of 991 number plate. That makes all the difference.
Porsche is getting good at the game of generating demand and keeping prices up by selling exclusivity. Caters to the need for some affluent or wealthy buyers to possess things out of reach for more 'regular' people who have to settle for the consolation prize of getting a 'regular' Porsche.

I have great respect for AP's technical knowledge and design acumen, and he combines that with being an expert salesperson for the GT cars, and is thus quite effective in influencing our perceptions of the cars and casting a spell on many of us.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Valid point on gearing, but unless you can shift like Leh Keen the PDK is going to shift way faster as the next gear is already selected and its just a matter of engagement. I have some acceleration data that shows this somewhere from an AIM. Basically, the little 'dip' you see on the PDK car is a LOT less, so lets say that little dip is 150ft on a manual, it's 25ft on a PDK car, so it gets back into acceleration faster. I think you'd need to take both gearing and this into consideration, all do affect acceleration.

Originally Posted by 997s07
Up shifts are not the problem when comparing manual to PDK(s). Down shifts are. In fact, most of the 0-60 times quoted from the PDK vs. Manual comparisons are down to the PDK having shorter gear ratios. The case cannot be made that the engine revs drop faster on a PDK car since fuel cutoff and piston inertia are limited by physical laws, the ECU for both transmission engines for up shifts is highly likely the same. Porsche is good at telling us that the PDK cars are faster, but when one digs in, the shorter ratios pop out. So the drag race would be comparable if and only if the gear ratios are the same. The real issue is the gearing - those should be the same for the drag race to have valid conclusions.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
So it seems to me that the performance level of a base Carrera may be just as suited - or better suited - for road use than the R, and overall it may be a good choice for drivers seeking a 'purist' road car.
981.1 base Boxster with sport suspension and manual is probably even better. It looks better too. High $40's for a well equipped, low miles CPO. Let everyone else elbow each other at AP's Kool-Aid party.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:05 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Valid point on gearing, but unless you can shift like Leh Keen the PDK is going to shift way faster as the next gear is already selected and its just a matter of engagement. I have some acceleration data that shows this somewhere from an AIM. Basically, the little 'dip' you see on the PDK car is a LOT less, so lets say that little dip is 150ft on a manual, it's 25ft on a PDK car, so it gets back into acceleration faster. I think you'd need to take both gearing and this into consideration, all do affect acceleration.
Understood. I didn't realize it would be that big of a difference.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Nur93
Yes, 911 R is just like GT4 In that way, talk about the last seconds is not importent on track etc. I am fine With My GT4 not beeing the faster car out there, still It can take a beating all day long on track and It aint slow. Just like a 911 R. It can take a beating, just like gt3. Same same
It is a 911: Track it!

BTW: Can you downgrade to steel brakes or is that not an option?
Old 03-02-2016, 12:36 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu

Even with the standard PDK in the 997.2 Carrera GTS, there is quite a margin. I assume with PDK-S there would be even a bigger cap. Porsche posted a 0-60 of 3.7 for the 911r and 3.1 for the GT3 RS that weighs more. I love manuals, but pdk-s is not doubt a lot faster. I would say 8 tenths different in the 1/4 mile.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:59 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I love what they created with the R.
Thank you Andreas Preuninger and team!

Turn up the volume, there are about 100 drive-bys in this video.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Understood. I didn't realize it would be that big of a difference.
Here is a Fifth Gear video directly comparing a manual 981 Cayman with a PDK Cayman in a drag race. You can see the difference it makes.

Oh and BTW, this video amply demonstrates that every Finn ever born has a 'sense of humour transplant" operation at birth.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

[QUOTE=911Jetta;13069143]I love what they created with the R.
Thank you Andreas Preuninger and team!

Turn up the volume, there are about 100 drive-bys in this video.

Not another repost....already posted 10 pages back.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how some are so hysterical and continue to "thank" Porsche for a car they can't buy. Bow to Porsche for bending over the average enthusiast once again.

Don't you guys have any pride? If your gonna get screwed in the **** at least they should give you a reach around.

Sheesh.

Quick Reply: OT:911R