Sponsored by:

New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
1. I don't think "bulletproof" is the threshold.
I agree. The real metric in my mind is $ per trackday. If we can establish that we can all make informed decisions. Pedal feel aside I think we'll all agree the issue is cost- if the rotors last long enough, or if Porsche rotors could be had for 5k like vette rotors, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
2. Do we have any reports of PCCB rotor replacements in a Gen 3 setup?
On this board we have seen anecdotal word of at least one replacement set on a GT3. Indirect- not posted by the owner.

There is no question the new rotors are better. Far more surface area for cooling and more thermal mass essentially guarantee they will be. The open question is how much better, and under what conditions exactly?

We're crowd sourcing those answers as we speak... RL ftw.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:03 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

I intend to take my Prostitute to within an inch of her life at the track when she arrives.

Will be pleased if her Gen III ceramics lasts me 10 events.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 track days in the Turbo s and sold back to dealer...offered a great price..took the deal and very happy...3 days later dealer principle called to say I had cooked the ceramics on all 4 corners ...asked for a contribution to the costs !!!! Here in UK...we have a Sold as Seen so really they should have given the car a check before paying me...he showed me the discs and yes they were bad ...
First mod on the RS before I track it will be to put the pccbs in a box till I sell the car !!!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowPMan
12 track days in the Turbo s and sold back to dealer...offered a great price..took the deal and very happy...3 days later dealer principle called to say I had cooked the ceramics on all 4 corners ...asked for a contribution to the costs !!!! Here in UK...we have a Sold as Seen so really they should have given the car a check before paying me...he showed me the discs and yes they were bad ...
First mod on the RS before I track it will be to put the pccbs in a box till I sell the car !!!
How could they tell you cooked them just by looking? They need to take special density measurements to confirm wear.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
How could they tell you cooked them just by looking? They need to take special density measurements to confirm wear.
You can visually tell when its gets bad. The surface is delaminates and all you see is a gritty, pitted surface.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Were these PCCBs Gen II or Gen III rotors?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Were these PCCBs Gen II or Gen III rotors?
It was a 991 turbo, so I assume gen III
Old 10-09-2015, 01:37 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It was a 991 turbo, so I assume gen III
Correct
Old 10-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

How many miles would you estimate?

The Turbo S is a heavier, more powerful car, so you'd expect the rotors to go a little quicker. That said if you were doing ~150 miles per day that's 1800 miles, right on top of the extrapolated estimate for cooking the fronts.

At $22k USD (parts) for the set that'd be over $12 per track mile in rotors alone...

I'd tell the dealer to ask Porsche for a contribution to the costs.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petevb
How many miles would you estimate?

The Turbo S is a heavier, more powerful car, so you'd expect the rotors to go a little quicker. That said if you were doing ~150 miles per day that's 1800 miles, right on top of the extrapolated estimate for cooking the fronts.

At $22k USD (parts) for the set that'd be over $12 per track mile in rotors alone...

I'd tell the dealer to ask Porsche for a contribution to the costs.
I did the 2014 gumball ... Edinburgh to Ibiza so 2500 hard miles but highway miles ... Some aggressive breaking obviously .. And maybe 2300-2500 track miles ..car was sold with 9400 total miles ...I said the exact same thing to the dealer ask Porsche for the contribution !!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

I did the 2014 gumball ... Edinburgh to Ibiza so 2500 hard miles but highway miles ... Some aggressive breaking obviously .. And maybe 2300-2500 track miles ..car was sold with 9400 total miles ...I said the exact same thing to the dealer ask Porsche for the contribution !!
Thanks. Even with very hard street miles it'd be nearly impossible to get PCCBs up past their critical temps I'd expect.

Another useful data point- how many pad changes do you think you had?

2400 track miles gets you to ~$9 per track mile for rotor cost...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Thanks. Even with very hard street miles it'd be nearly impossible to get PCCBs up past their critical temps I'd expect.

Another useful data point- how many pad changes do you think you had?

2400 track miles gets you to ~$9 per track mile for rotor cost...
5 changes with the pagids and replaced the originals at trade in time .. I did have the 620bhp tech art kit and capristo exhaust ...so the extra power didn't help the wear rate .. And tracked at fast circuits Silverstone and brands hatch GP circuits ..and snetterton and donnington
Old 10-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

5 changes with the pagids and replaced the originals at trade in time .. I did have the 620bhp tech art kit and capristo exhaust ...so the extra power didn't help the wear rate .. And tracked at fast circuits Silverstone and brands hatch GP circuits ..and snetterton and donnington
Good info, so six sets of pads total for one set of disks, mostly running the RSC1 Pagid pads designed for tracked PCCB.

Certainly the power didn't help- if you were able to use it you were probably dumping nearly 20% more energy into the brakes than a GT3, which will push peak temps further.

Very good data points, thanks.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:23 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Good info, so six sets of pads total for one set of disks, mostly running the RSC1 Pagid pads designed for tracked PCCB.

Certainly the power didn't help- if you were able to use it you were probably dumping nearly 20% more energy into the brakes than a GT3, which will push peak temps further.

Very good data points, thanks.
Averaging 2-4 secs per lap faster than my buddy in his 991 gt3 at Silverstone/Brands , and carrying 15-20mph more in the straights ..car was actually very fast but would be done on tyres ( trofeo r ) after 6-7 hot laps ... And for further reference 3-4 seconds slower than ff corsa 458 challenge race car ...on slicks !!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:30 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you guys want the RSC1 designed for PCCBs...we've got em... :-)

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread