Sponsored by:

New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts
Default New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

A good buddy is an instructor there, he told me same thing.. They had never swapped pccb rotors, all their cars had stayed with original disks.. And he wasn't referring to the 991 gt3's there. Barber isn't a tough braking track and Magen students to go hard on brakes but that is saying something.. Maybe this whole no pccb for the track thing is a bit of a myth?
Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

The Gen II would barely last 2x longer than $300 steels. What we need is someone who is an excellent, near pro level driver to run a set of Gen IIIs for a season and see what's left. If you could run Gen IIIs for two hard seasons, they might be worth the $20K for a new set.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

2 seasons is about right.
40-50 track days per season, half at Sebring.
= about 3-4 sets of front rotors, 1 set of rear call it $4000 x 2 $8000
= about 5-6 sets of front pads, 3-4 sets of rear call it $2800 x 2 $5600
Close enough.

I expect wear to be worse in the new automatics.

Lap times at least within a couple of seconds laptime as a pro.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,794 Likes on 5,151 Posts

This is probably like the PDK discussion when it first arrived on the scene.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
2 seasons is about right.
40-50 track days per season, half at Sebring.
= about 3-4 sets of front rotors, 1 set of rear call it $4000 x 2 $8000
= about 5-6 sets of front pads, 3-4 sets of rear call it $2800 x 2 $5600
Close enough.

I expect wear to be worse in the new automatics.

Lap times at least within a couple of seconds laptime as a pro.
Think with PTV, the rears will run close to the fronts. I don't think this can be switched off , nor should you want to as it is a driving aid meant to make the car more nimble.

I assume you are going with PCCB? For an RS, it makes perfect sense. The pinnacle of porsche sports cars need PCCB to complete it.

In UK/Europe, SICOM is offering refurb prices at under EUR 1k a corner for OEM. and new discs are slightly more than double that. My thoughts are that prices keep falling and it is worth getting a set of replacements and keep referring those while putting aside the oem pccb, since they will cost double the replacements or 4X the cost of refurb.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni

The pinnacle of porsche sports cars need PCCB to complete it.
Can't agree more and RB is working on our part to help you accomplish that goal:

Announcing our NEW LOW PRICES on CCM rotors

pccb replacement (410/390):

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Pa...por-crk-02.htm

Standard brake (380/380) upgrade:

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Ro...por-crk-07.htm

RB sintered pads exclusively developed for Carbon Ceramic rotors:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12483467

RB CCM rotors are designed to fit under OE calipers, discs are made by Surface Transforms in UK

CCM discs are stocked in our Socal facility for a quick turn around instead of waiting for weeks or months.

If you fell OE calipers are not quite up to the task, we also have calipers replacement for you:

Caliper Upgrade - A Replacement beyond Rotor and Pad

RB offers a total brake solution including a full service for your CCM brake by partnering with ST.

Give us a call for the absolute braking confidence you need with a set up that actually can save you money over iron brake in the long run.

Our complete CCM offer for Porsche:
http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7200.htm

714-871-6392
Old 09-12-2015, 09:08 AM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
For what it's worth,
That said... they had a fleet of track dedicated GT3's each equipped with PCCB's. They've had them the entire year and not swapped rotors yet....
I go to Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber annually on a guys trip. Every time I go, I ask about PCCB wear since as you have noted, the GT3s and the Turbos all run PCCBs. Each of the cars is put through the paces by the instructors as each new model arrives and then they are punished by students who are driving them exactly how someone drives a rented vehicle – relentlessly. While these guys work for PSDS, they are not brand ambassadors to the extent of pushing options. I have had many discussions with them in which certain options, which would clearly increase sales, were dismissed. In past years, instructors did say they did not have confidence in Gen 2 rotors holding up under intense use but the Gen 3s have not yet been replaced. Pads yes, but rotors no.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 AM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mech33
Eh if they're student training cars then they're probably pretty easy on the brakes overall.
Actually no, they push the students to go hot heading down to corners and brake HARD before entry. The way we are coached is to not be timid with brake or throttle frankly.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fascinating feedback coming back, considering the earlier commentary. Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Tre
Racer

This has been some very promising information about PCCB gen 3 durability. It's too bad the sample size among street cars (primarily Porsches, Vettes, & Vipers) running CCBs heavily on track seems to be relatively small which likely slows durability progress.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Why are people replacing OEM pads with aftermarket? Sure some cars are designed to be mostly street and a different pad might be more appropriate for increased track use.

I find it hard to believe this would be the case for a Porsche GT3. How do people think the Porsche motor sports division messed up in their OEM pad choice.....?
Old 09-12-2015, 11:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nbrown69
I go to Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber annually on a guys trip. Every time I go, I ask about PCCB wear since as you have noted, the GT3s and the Turbos all run PCCBs. Each of the cars is put through the paces by the instructors as each new model arrives and then they are punished by students who are driving them exactly how someone drives a rented vehicle – relentlessly. While these guys work for PSDS, they are not brand ambassadors to the extent of pushing options. I have had many discussions with them in which certain options, which would clearly increase sales, were dismissed. In past years, instructors did say they did not have confidence in Gen 2 rotors holding up under intense use but the Gen 3s have not yet been replaced. Pads yes, but rotors no.
From Nov, 2014

Old 09-12-2015, 03:13 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
Why are people replacing OEM pads with aftermarket? Sure some cars are designed to be mostly street and a different pad might be more appropriate for increased track use.

I find it hard to believe this would be the case for a Porsche GT3. How do people think the Porsche motor sports division messed up in their OEM pad choice.....?
It seems most people still doubt that PCCBs are a viable option if you track your car. Based on my limited experience tracking my 2015 (I am up to 1,800 track miles and almost 10,000 road miles) the new Gen 3s are clearly better. If I get three or four years, each with 1,800 to 2,000 track miles and 10,000 road miles, out on the PCCBs, as my service tech suggested at my last inspection, I will be satisfied -- that's just me.

I am running the OEM pads, lot's of people run Pagids or other pads, but the OEM pads that the new GT3s come with seem go to me - no noticeable fade and no excessive wear.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have to agree my Gen 3 991 Gt3 PCCBs holding up well but if they go and when they I will have very few options to deal with so most likely factory replacements and full pop. When my RS arrives Steels are attached because of the many options available. If I want ceramics I can add them with lots of options inbetween not so with the Factory PCCBs. I plan on keeping the RS for a while ( I always say that about cars) and this time I mean it!
Old 09-12-2015, 06:50 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I have to agree my Gen 3 991 Gt3 PCCBs holding up well but if they go and when they I will have very few options to deal with so most likely factory replacements and full pop. When my RS arrives Steels are attached because of the many options available. If I want ceramics I can add them with lots of options inbetween not so with the Factory PCCBs. I plan on keeping the RS for a while ( I always say that about cars) and this time I mean it!
I always mean to too!

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread