Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:44 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had a wish...too bad a sub bar of some sort cannot be attached to the seat sliders so that it moves with the seat slide position. All this drilling and riveting is a bummer.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sub strap: no solution but just questions. i see GMG soln, very nice. but i know in ROW, sub is attached through the tub. why dont we do that? wondering....
You ask an excellent question that I asked as well and don't have the answer too. My guess is that the ROW doesn't have the recessed 'tub' that we have here, and that the electronics are US required stuff like the seat occupancy detector. We would need to see a picture of a ROW clubsport with the seat removed.

Originally Posted by rockitman
If I had a wish...too bad a sub bar of some sort cannot be attached to the seat sliders so that it moves with the seat slide position. All this drilling and riveting is a bummer.
That is what the BK sub bars did for the GT2 seats. Perhaps someone will come out with that type of solution, but my understanding is that bolting to the floor is better than to the chair. Yeah, I had no clue that the GMG kit required drilling and riveting when I bought the kit. I just wanted SOMETHING ASAP. Honestly, though, the drilling really isn't a big deal and the rivets look really clean if you were to ever remove everything. I'm not bothered by it at all anymore.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:12 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe

That is what the BK sub bars did for the GT2 seats. Perhaps someone will come out with that type of solution, but my understanding is that bolting to the floor is better than to the chair. Yeah, I had no clue that the GMG kit required drilling and riveting when I bought the kit. I just wanted SOMETHING ASAP. Honestly, though, the drilling really isn't a big deal and the rivets look really clean if you were to ever remove everything. I'm not bothered by it at all anymore.
You are right....attached to the floor is a much more secure solution. Since you needed to drill the floor any way, I wonder if it would be easier to drill two holes to the floor and bolt the sub belt anchors directly rather than installing the GMG plate ?
Old 04-04-2015, 01:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

You are right....attached to the floor is a much more secure solution. Since you needed to drill the floor any way, I wonder if it would be easier to drill two holes to the floor and bolt the sub belt anchors directly rather than installing the GMG plate ?
Look at the pics I posted. You can't bolt directly under the seats because there are electronics in the way. You can bolt to where I made the drill holes, but then the sub belt anchors are not in the correct position of either directly below or 20 degrees behind your crotch
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Look at the pics I posted. You can't bolt directly under the seats because there are electronics in the way. You can bolt to where I made the drill holes, but then the sub belt anchors are not in the correct position of either directly below or 20 degrees behind your crotch

Okay...now I understand. Thanks for being the sub belt pioneer and sharing your experiences.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:00 PM
blockbuster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where I can buy a small buckle piece to clip into the stock seat belt clip to stop the waning light coming on when I am using harnesses in my GT3?
Old 04-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't find the exact one I bought on Amazon, but this looks similar: chimestopper.com
Old 04-05-2015, 01:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blockbuster
Anyone know where I can buy a small buckle piece to clip into the stock seat belt clip to stop the waning light coming on when I am using harnesses in my GT3?
ebay...do a search for VW belt clip like so...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-CA...c3d5e2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Auto-Ca...85e52a&vxp=mtr
Old 04-05-2015, 01:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

So for sub strap.. BK fell asleep?
Old 04-05-2015, 01:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They don't appear to have any 991 gen products
Old 04-05-2015, 01:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blockbuster
I just traced out the shape of the buckle out of my safeway card and cut it to shape. Works perfectly.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It appears so...
Old 04-05-2015, 02:34 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teamtech Motorsports makes what they call a Jet Pilot harness which is a 6pt harness equivalent but does not require a mounting point below the seat -- therefore no sub bar. It is SFI 16.1 certified. Uses just four mounting point, 2 for the lap and 2 for the shoulder belts. The pictures in their catalog will better explain how it works:

http://teamtechmotorsports.com/2011_Catalog.pdf

I just received mine yesterday and will have it installed next week. I'll post a review with pictures. I will tell you now that getting in and all hooked up takes a little longer and that you sit on three straps -- one under each leg and one waist high on your back -- and these may feel uncomfortable for prolonged drives (I'll have to test this). Given my intended use, I think these will work well and are much simpler to install.

I have no affiliation with Teamtech.

Deven
Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by devenh
Teamtech Motorsports makes what they call a Jet Pilot harness which is a 6pt harness equivalent but does not require a mounting point below the seat -- therefore no sub bar. It is SFI 16.1 certified. Uses just four mounting point, 2 for the lap and 2 for the shoulder belts. The pictures in their catalog will better explain how it works:

http://teamtechmotorsports.com/2011_Catalog.pdf

I just received mine yesterday and will have it installed next week. I'll post a review with pictures. I will tell you now that getting in and all hooked up takes a little longer and that you sit on three straps -- one under each leg and one waist high on your back -- and these may feel uncomfortable for prolonged drives (I'll have to test this). Given my intended use, I think these will work well and are much simpler to install.

I have no affiliation with Teamtech.

Deven
Thanks Deven...would love to see some pics once installed. Perhaps you could start a thread ?
Old 04-05-2015, 04:59 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Deven...would love to see some pics once installed. Perhaps you could start a thread ?
Definitely
Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
Definitely
Eager to see it tested.
I've looked into these harnesses before, could be a great solution for my Euro Delivery car, less uninstalling to do before shipping it to the U.S.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal