Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

2) Brake caliper stud conversion. Won't make the pad swaps any easier, but at least the upright will be spared from threading bolts in/out.

Do you have a link to get the stud conversion bolts for front and rear ? What are the size/spec I need for double threaded bolt(s) and nut(s) ? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is this the kit ?
http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...csk-detail.htm

go with the 62mm and 85mm studs ?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
is this the kit ? http://www.tarett.com/items/986-987-...csk-detail.htm go with the 62mm and 85mm studs ?
Sorry, but Ben was the guy that ordered the studs for us and he talked to Ira at tarrett directly to order. I'd talk to Ira to be sure.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Do you have a link to get the stud conversion bolts for front and rear ? What are the size/spec I need for double threaded bolt(s) and nut(s) ? Thanks in advance.
...just a thought

I took the PCCBs off of my '11 GT3RS and put on StopTech Trophy BBK ~$7k and all of the pad changing issues are gone as well as the pad tapering issue that I experienced with the yellow calipers. Braking performance is excellence. I did add ~10 lbs per corner by going from PCCBs to cast iron rotors, but I have been very happy with the setup and I am getting more life out of my pads.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Texas RS
...just a thought I took the PCCBs off of my '11 GT3RS and put on StopTech Trophy BBK ~$7k and all of the pad changing issues are gone as well as the pad tapering issue that I experienced with the yellow calipers. Braking performance is excellence. I did add ~10 lbs per corner by going from PCCBs to cast iron rotors, but I have been very happy with the setup and I am getting more life out of my pads.
Yeah, with how much of a pita it still is to change pads, even with the studs, an open top caliper would be nice. I don't like that the brake lines still have to be moved even with the studs, and it's tough to get the caliper Pistons spread apart. I know RB makes open top calipers for our cars too.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, with how much of a pita it still is to change pads, even with the studs, an open top caliper would be nice. I don't like that the brake lines still have to be moved even with the studs, and it's tough to get the caliper Pistons spread apart. I know RB makes open top calipers for our cars too.
Joe are you swapping street and track pads before and after every event?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
If I may steal that questions - The PFC11 is so quiet on the street, even quieter than the factory pad, that it's not necessary.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Nope. PFC11 make less noise on the street than OEM pads. Even if they did make noise, I wouldn't swap pads because swapping is a huge pain in the *** with these calipers. I used to be able to swap pads super quick with my girodisc pad spreader. Not with this car. Ugh.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
If I may steal that questions - The PFC11 is so quiet on the street, even quieter than the factory pad, that it's not necessary.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

LMFAO, have you met joe or seen his car?
i guess not.
you will not ask this question hahaha.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I fixed mooty's smartycam in his cayman over the weekend, it was defaulted to switch, changed to pressure and it started working great.
he is the man. whatever spyerx did, worked wonders. for the first time i have video. now how do i get the SD card out of that machine again hammer or blow torch?
Old 04-04-2015, 03:37 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spyder fixed my trailer switch box thing. He looked at it and he pressed some stuff and reset power and i had power again. I will make sure he is at my track days for electrical/tech issues
Old 04-04-2015, 04:15 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Yes, but gravity works in the downward direction, so the tilt back, or even to straight up and down, would help a lot. Also, as I said, I feel like it's just slightly too upright even on the street. I just want a tiny bit more tilt back.
Hi Mayor,

What you are referring to is posterior seat rake.

I want the same thing as you. The seat is raked too far anteriorly.

I also want to create a 'cassette' mechanism to allow ease of removing the race shell, mounting bracket, and sliders and popping back in the LWBs by just using the 4 torx bolts.

One issue is fitting the B-K (or other company) anti-sub belt mount beneath your LWB seat after the rake change, as well as the race shells. The other part of the puzzle is creating a resistor plug to fake out the ECU into thinking the seat airbags are still connected so you don't have to bust out a PIWIS every time you swap seats and start the car. I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend the dough to buy one just for this purpose. I think Chinese knock-offs of PIWIS II are about $2k.

GMG claims they have only fit Sparco Evos in the 991 GT3 street car, but Terry from Griffin Motorwerke has put the Recaro Hans XLs in, I believe. It would be silly to put a race shell in without halos.

I have already contacted B-K, Griffin Motorwerke (Terry did my cage install and he knows the Brey-Krause folks and Cantrell), GMG, my raceshop that supports my GT3 and rally car, Tony at TCDesign, and Alex at Sharkwerks. Nobody has a solution yet. Cantrell and GMG are working on brackets that will involve sub-belt mounting but these are not floorpan mounted (safest setup).
Old 04-04-2015, 04:24 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just saw in this thread that Joe picked up the GMG seat bracket.

Can you comment on this? It is not as safe as mounting the anti-submarine belts to the chassis, but I suppose it is nice not to drill through the floorpan.

When I talked to GMG, Ryan said they were unable to fit any halo seats in the street 991 GT3, sub bracket aside.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
Spyder fixed my trailer switch box thing. He looked at it and he pressed some stuff and reset power and i had power again. I will make sure he is at my track days for electrical/tech issues
Oh yeah forgot about that. That was a circuit breaker. Middle = tripped. There was no magic there!

Originally Posted by mooty
he is the man. whatever spyerx did, worked wonders. for the first time i have video. now how do i get the SD card out of that machine again hammer or blow torch?
A delicate touch. Save the hammer and blowtorch for brake jobs and tire changes. Glad the video is working and we got overlay tuned up. Makes for fun times between runs. AIM made it so easy with this device. Get a balck sheep logo in jpg and we can put that in there too on the video.

Buttonwillow we will pull data from the aim and show you where you need to be faster to beat up on kormaster and usc. Kormaster did a 1:54 in his fast and furious machine cw13 last weekend. Flying.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
LMFAO, have you met joe or seen his car?
i guess not.
you will not ask this question hahaha.
LOL. If I DD'd the car, the track pads were crazy loud, and the pad changes were easy and not a PITA, then I would and have done so in the past. However, NO WAY IN HELL would I bother with this car. Centerlocks and closed top caliper? I'm not into torture and wasting tons of time.

AWESOME!!! finally!!!

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I just saw in this thread that Joe picked up the GMG seat bracket.

Can you comment on this? It is not as safe as mounting the anti-submarine belts to the chassis, but I suppose it is nice not to drill through the floorpan.
There are some part issues that GMG is working with me on to get this kit right (the price you pay for being the first to do something), so I was planning on holding off on posting everything until everything has been completed, but I can tell you this so far:

You can't mount directly to the chassis with this car. Directly under the seat are are recesses that house electronics. The substraps are supposed to be mounted directly below or 20 degrees behind your crotch, and that's not possible with the cutout below the seat. This picture below shows what is below the passenger side seat

This picture shows what is below the driver seat and the holes that must be drilled on both sides

The GMG kit uses rivnuts to fix the plate to the chassis, so you need this tool:

Rivnuts installed

Subbar plate installed

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Buttonwillow we will pull data from the aim and show you where you need to be faster to beat up on kormaster and usc. Kormaster did a 1:54 in his fast and furious machine cw13 last weekend. Flying.
Awesome. Congrats to kormaster!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

sub strap: no solution but just questions. i see GMG soln, very nice. but i know in ROW, sub is attached through the tub. why dont we do that? wondering....

jesse, YES YOU CAN BOLT HALO SEAT INTO THE CAR AND USE SUB BELT. i did it. MAXLTV has it too. ther are other issues. but physically it's not a prob.

your idea of cassette for swaping shell back to oe seats back and forth is great. i want that since 10 years ago. i just dont know how to cad cam this thing...

dont we have google ppl here? they get free time at work to fiddle with useless stuff. this would be a good proj.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal