Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:35 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Had to dig to find it, but here we go...

At Rennsport Reunion V, held in September of this year at Laguna Seca, the winner of the PCA Club race was Patrick Lindsey in a 997.2 R Cup car. His fastest lap of the race was 1:28.7.

So, I wasn't exaggerating. That Viper ACR is FAST!

By the way, I felt totally cheated at RRV, as a few of my fellow "competitors" in the club race group were guys from IMSA's Cup series slumming it with us mere mortals just to get more seat time.

Now I know what the slow cars on track feel like in WEC when the LMP1 cars go whizzing by.
No doubt this ACR is FAST, but to be fair to Patrick, I know he could have been in the 1:26 range under different circumstances.....we were in the 1:26 flat range back in 2011 in the 997 Cups prepped for PWC. Stock motors but more about setup, chassis and aero.
But I think we could get an RS in the 1:29 range with some 19" Hoosier R7's and some setup work at Laguna......we have seen what Hoosiers can do to a GT4 vs a GT3....impressive indeed!
Now I know the RS is 2.5 times more expensive......but let's not go there because that is an entirely different topic...:roll eyes:

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 12-27-2015, 08:54 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Wow the ACR is rediculously fast for the money. But it looks massive and I wonder if it drives like a truck? Crazy fast time though. I have been able to beat most older ACR in my GT2 at my local track Hallett but if someone shows up in this, I would expect a serious beating.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ The ACR is 1" shorter than a 991 GT3/RS
Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Wow the ACR is rediculously fast for the money. But it looks massive and I wonder if it drives like a truck? Crazy fast time though. I have been able to beat most older ACR in my GT2 at my local track Hallett but if someone shows up in this, I would expect a serious beating.
On the street, it sounds and drives like a truck. On the track, you don't care. Lol.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:45 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
On the street, it sounds and drives like a truck. On the track, you don't care. Lol.
We need to get you a job on Top Gear.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:03 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
We need to get you a job on Top Gear.
Thanks, LOL! That would be FUN!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

See post 45, shot next to my car but not a perfect perspective. It didn't seem big, but it did seem WIDE and it IS.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Kumho V720!! Start a campaign for these tires!!!

Cheaper, grip better, look like they'll last longer, and according to the ACR engineer that was there Saturday, the tires don't heat cycle out either. Aero or not, I WANT these tires for my GT3 and GT4. I already sent an email to Kumho pleading for them. We should all do the same!
I am down with that idea--calling Kumho myself today! I added them to my thread on requesting new tire sizes from manufacturers. Everyone who cares about this issue should call Kumho at 1-800-HI-KUMHO (445-8646) and request they make them, or email Kumho Product/Fitment Technical Support and Motorsports Information: TechSupport@KumhoTireUSA.com please! There's strength in numbers...

EDIT-- I tried calling just now and it seems the tech/motorsports folks there are out for the holidays, but they referred me to a fellow named Chris Han and said he would get back to me when he returned to the office. I'm going to follow up with an email right now....

TT
Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

Check engine light came on and car went into limp mode. We got the power reduced but ok to drive message. Reset the code, and the car is totally normal again, but the light always comes back on within a mile. The codes seemed to be related to the ignition system. I'll have to take the car into the dealer. I'm suspicious this has to do with the ignition coil pack and spark plug recall even though my VIN was NOT on the recall list.
Sorry to hear about the CEL and loss of track time. I believe your suspicion is correct. It has been our experience that the 991 GT3 tend to go through spark plugs & ignition coils more than its predecessor. At our shop, when we feel the idle starts to gets more lumpy we advice replacement. Also not a bad idea to carry a spare set in the tool box. :-)

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-28-2015, 11:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
I am down with that idea--calling Kumho myself today! I added them to my thread on requesting new tire sizes from manufacturers. Everyone who cares about this issue should call Kumho at 1-800-HI-KUMHO (445-8646) and request they make them, or email Kumho Product/Fitment Technical Support and Motorsports Information: TechSupport@KumhoTireUSA.com please! There's strength in numbers...

EDIT-- I tried calling just now and it seems the tech/motorsports folks there are out for the holidays, but they referred me to a fellow named Chris Han and said he would get back to me when he returned to the office. I'm going to follow up with an email right now....

TT
Awesome. I sent an email already. If you need any help, let me know.

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Sorry to hear about the CEL and loss of track time. I believe your suspicion is correct. It has been our experience that the 991 GT3 tend to go through spark plugs & ignition coils more than its predecessor. At our shop, when we feel the idle starts to gets more lumpy we advice replacement. Also not a bad idea to carry a spare set in the tool box. :-)
Thanks for this info! After changing the plugs and coils, did you have any other issues afterwards? I'm hoping it something as simple as this!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts

After changing the plugs and coils, did you have any other issues afterwards? I'm hoping it something as simple as this!
Nop. On the cars we worked on they only needed plugs, coils, and reset. Back on the track they went. I'm predicting they need another set of plugs(may be coils) another 40 hours of track use.
Hope your car doesn't need more than that.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:58 PM
JanStuart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my plugs/coils replaced today at Suncoast Porsche under Campaign (although mine is not part of the campaign?). 3 other Gt3s in today, one for my issue, one for oil cooler leak and one for blown engine at Daytona. Too bad; it is an amazing car. Also put the DSC PASM Controller in while it was there.

Last edited by JanStuart; 12-30-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2015, 07:11 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JanStuart
Had my plugs/coils replaced today at Suncoast Porsche under Campaign (although mine is not part of the campaign?). 3 other Gt3s in today, one for my issue, one for oil cooler leak and one for blown engine at Daytona. Too bad; it is an amazing car. Also put the DSC PASM Controller in while it was there.
Any more info on the "blown engine"????
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being your car was not part of the campaign for the plugs/coil, I assume you had to pay to replace them? What year and how many miles on your car?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Jan if your car wasn't on the recall list for plug/coils, what prompted you to do this service ? How many miles on that beauty ? I saw your car in the Chateau Elan's parking lot really sharp package ? Did you get the Latest
ECU flash ? Yet to hear of any PCNA cars done . It's been said that PAG
released this new soft ware update 12/19/15
Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal