Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Joe! How was Laguna today? Weather looked to be bright sunshine all day - albeit cool temperatures. I was really tempted to drive down and say hello. If only to see the new Viper. ;-)
Lar,

It was COLD! LOL!

You should have driven down and hung out with us! It would have been fun! Lots of cool toys today. 488GTB, two ACRs, and GT4. 991GT3 is plain Jane and routine at the track these days. LOL.

Unfortunately, the GT3 had it's first failure on track today. Check engine light came on and car went into limp mode. We got the power reduced but ok to drive message. Reset the code, and the car is totally normal again, but the light always comes back on within a mile. The codes seemed to be related to the ignition system. I'll have to take the car into the dealer. I'm suspicious this has to do with the ignition coil pack and spark plug recall even though my VIN was NOT on the recall list.

Thankfully, my friends were nice enough to let me drive the ACR and GT4 instead today.

Thoughts on the ACR:

1) The power is not as scary as you might think. Gobs of it, but controllable
2) The Kumho tires on the car are AMAZING. They blow away any other R comp I've tried so far (NT01, MPSC2, Dunlop sport maxx race, and TrofeoR). I came no where near to the limits of grip on the car. Lateral Gs were hitting 1.5 (not transient). Everytime I thought I screwed up going in too hot, the car would hold it like I was only driving 5/10ths (which I probably was, LOL).
3) Braking is phenomenal as well. I was constantly over braking into corners at speeds which would normally get me into trouble with the GT3.
4) I CANNOT get into a good driving position in this car. Like the C7, the center console is high, and I have a hard time turning right. For whatever reason in terms of my build and preferred driving position, my elbow hits the center console when turning right. The cockpit is cramped and I can't get into a good position where I can manipulate the car. Instead, I'm constantly adjusting my body in order control the car, and I end up not being able to properly control the car. If I could figure this out, I could do some serious damage with the car. Unfortunately, I ended up getting lap times too embarrassing to share, so I won't. LOL. I will say that I was faster in a GT4 in traffic on my second lap than after a full session in the ACR...

Thoughts on the GT4:

1) It felt like I was driving my spyder again. So easy to control, so playful and fun.
2) The car rotates so much easier than the GT3. Effortless
3) The power is much less than the GT3, and seems only moderately faster than my old spyder, but it's been a while.
4) Doesn't sound as good as a GT3
5) With the GT3, you need to be progressive with the throttle on exit or you'll destabilize the car. With the GT4, there is not enough power with the tall gearing to destabilize the car. On many corners you just go WOT at exit.
6) I didn't drive the car hard enough to judge over/understeer at the limit.
7) I can't wait to get mine so I can really start diving into the car more

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-28-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Thanks Joe, love to read your track ride feedback posts. Would have loved to be there.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ditto as well Joe always great info thanks for the edu

as well unfortunate news on your car , I'm not many miles behind you, Taking mine in early @ 11k Wednesday for 12k service

am eager as you to know what's up with your motor

Last edited by R.Deacon; 12-27-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,438 Posts

Bummer on the CEL with the GT3. Please keep us posted on the diagnosis and fix.

Regarding the ACR, the aero seems to put it in a different league. Here it is at Laguna Seca:

If I was starting from scratch with track cars, I'd consider the ACR.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:10 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your CEL. Hope it is something minor. My injector failure took several weeks to get addressed. At least you won't be missing much if it stays cold.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

What Is "CEL" ?

is it Check Engine Light,

edit:

not always easy being a Freshman

Note to self : Think a moment before posting

Last edited by R.Deacon; 12-27-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:24 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Joe
I keep saying it, we just need tires. Our cars are fast but with tires look out..
Old 12-27-2015, 12:34 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

295/355 is a lot of rubber!!!!!!! Aero would also improve the grip as well. Has anyone run 265/325 with 19s on their GT3?
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Regarding the ACR, the aero seems to put it in a different league. Here it is at Laguna Seca:.
Yikes Bat Man! That's Cup car fast!!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,438 Posts

And with street-legal tires that are about $1400 a set: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Ecsta+V720+ACR

I heard that these tires may become available in sizes that fit other cars, including the GT3, but I still think it's mainly the mega aero which enables this thing to crush even other Vipers.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks Joe, love to read your track ride feedback posts. Would have loved to be there.

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Ditto as well Joe always great info thanks for the edu

as well unfortunate news on your car , I'm not many miles behind you, Taking mine in early @ 11k Wednesday for 12k service

am eager as you to know what's up with your motor
Thanks, will follow up with everyone on what they find. My car is at 11k as well.

Bummer on the CEL with the GT3. Please keep us posted on the diagnosis and fix.

Regarding the ACR, the aero seems to put it in a different league. Here it is at Laguna Seca:

Track Record Run | 2016 Dodge Viper ACR | Laguna SECA - YouTube

If I was starting from scratch with track cars, I'd consider the ACR.
Dang 140mph down the straight. Max I've hit with the GT3 is 132mph.

ACR is a beast. It should be noted that it is a PITA to set up all of the different aero bits and vents on the car beforehand. There were so many parts and pieces, and some didn't even fit right, so they gave up on them. Supposedly the manual says you need 2 hours to get it all together. Then you need to revert before driving back home....

GT3 is louder and sounds much better. Much better seating position and more refined. ACR is tough to beat for value, though.

Originally Posted by rm21
Sorry to hear about your CEL. Hope it is something minor. My injector failure took several weeks to get addressed. At least you won't be missing much if it stays cold.
Yeah, in terms of timing, it's perfect. I'm probably in hibernation for the next 3 months anyway.

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
What Is "CEL" ?

is it Check Engine Light,

edit:

not always easy being a Freshman

Note to self : Think a moment before posting
LOL. yes, check engine light.

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Joe
I keep saying it, we just need tires. Our cars are fast but with tires look out..
Kumho V720!! Start a campaign for these tires!!!

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
295/355 is a lot of rubber!!!!!!! Aero would also improve the grip as well. Has anyone run 265/325 with 19s on their GT3?
You're right that the rubber and aero will help, but I still can't get over how much better the tires felt and gripped over the cup2/dunlop/etc.

And with street-legal tires that are about $1400 a set: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Ecsta+V720+ACR

I heard that these tires may become available in sizes that fit other cars, including the GT3, but I still think it's mainly the mega aero which enables this thing to crush even other Vipers.
Exactly!! Cheaper, grip better, look like they'll last longer, and according to the ACR engineer that was there Saturday, the tires don't heat cycle out either. Aero or not, I WANT these tires for my GT3 and GT4. I already sent an email to Kumho pleading for them. We should all do the same!
Old 12-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe for those of us who haven't experienced the limp mode what actually happens? Are you at full track speed and the ECU suddenly cuts power on you? Could be a bit frightening?
Were you able to drive it home or did the AAA save the day again?
Old 12-27-2015, 02:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Joe for those of us who haven't experienced the limp mode what actually happens? Are you at full track speed and the ECU suddenly cuts power on you? Could be a bit frightening?
Were you able to drive it home or did the AAA save the day again?
Able to drive the car home. Car cuts power and won't go WOT or into high rpm. However, still driveable home at highway speeds and will shift through all the gears.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:45 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Had to dig to find it, but here we go...

At Rennsport Reunion V, held in September of this year at Laguna Seca, the winner of the PCA Club race was Patrick Lindsey in a 997.2 R Cup car. His fastest lap of the race was 1:28.7.

So, I wasn't exaggerating. That Viper ACR is FAST!

By the way, I felt totally cheated at RRV, as a few of my fellow "competitors" in the club race group were guys from IMSA's Cup series slumming it with us mere mortals just to get more seat time.

Now I know what the slow cars on track feel like in WEC when the LMP1 cars go whizzing by.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 12-27-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:55 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

^^^
Pretty awesome to be on the same playground

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal