Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

I mostly do pca and PBOC.

Drivers briefing too lengthy? ;-) or?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
RED CARD! Foul, stating disgust with driving related event on car forum without amplifying information!

You're going to have to elaborate, what did you dislike?

Ryan
Let me clarify. The event was awesome. My instructor was great. I learned a ton. I didn't like the stress of the track.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
Let me clarify. The event was awesome. My instructor was great. I learned a ton. I didn't like the stress of the track.
If you do have the urge to try the track start with a beginners racing school like a 3-day track school with Jim Russell or Skip Barber. They will help you understand the dynamics of car control and the physics of a racing line and the how and why of placing your car on the track. They will build you up to speed gradually and you will always feel in control and safe. Take it a step at a time, with expert instruction and guidance and it will be a fulfilling and fun experience. The last thing you or I as "**** retentive" control freaks need is to jump in a car cold turkey and try to push a car around a track. You don't do anything else in your life comfortably with out investigation and preparation so why do something like a track day without preparing. It's bad enough for our type personalities to jump in a car on a strange track without preparation it would be even worse to do it as a passenger. My advice to you is NOT to go for a demo ride - it will only make your anxieties worse ( and usually the one giving you the "show" is bent on giving you a thril...not good AND not confidence building).

I have been racing for 25 years and love it but felt the way you do before then. I felt I had no business in a car on a track, too anxiety producing- and I had home and work responsibilities - until my wife gave me a 3-day School at Laguna Seca. After that I was hooked!! After the initial school and another advanced 3-day school, I always felt safe and in control on the track and on the street. ( frankly I feel safer on the track than on the street - too many uncontrolled factors in the wild). Do it that way and you may discover a new part of life with cars and yourself.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

What part was stressful to you?
I've had some of the best coaches and they took a lot of "stress" out if it by making me go faster, safer with less drama. and my driving is very drama free generally. (3 spins in 12 years).

I did blow a tire last year and hit the wall once though, but I wasn't even sore the next day.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I did blow a tire last year and hit the wall once though, but I wasn't even sore the next day.
I don't think you're helping your cause with this

Old 04-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Matt! I do have a leaf blower-Now I know where to put it. Appreciate the info!
Old 04-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

What part was stressful to you?
I've had some of the best coaches and they took a lot of "stress" out if it by making me go faster, safer with less drama. and my driving is very drama free generally. (3 spins in 12 years).

I think most of the stress is that I love my car too much. I'm just wound so tightly that I get myself all worked up and just don't respond well to any sort of lack of control.

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
If you do have the urge to try the track start with a beginners racing school like a 3-day track school with Jim Russell or Skip Barber. They will help you understand the dynamics of car control and the physics of a racing line and the how and why of placing your car on the track. They will build you up to speed gradually and you will always feel in control and safe. Take it a step at a time, with expert instruction and guidance and it will be a fulfilling and fun experience. The last thing you or I as "**** retentive" control freaks need is to jump in a car cold turkey and try to push a car around a track. You don't do anything else in your life comfortably with out investigation and preparation so why do something like a track day without preparing. It's bad enough for our type personalities to jump in a car on a strange track without preparation it would be even worse to do it as a passenger. My advice to you is NOT to go for a demo ride - it will only make your anxieties worse ( and usually the one giving you the "show" is bent on giving you a thril...not good AND not confidence building).

I have been racing for 25 years and love it but felt the way you do before then. I felt I had no business in a car on a track, too anxiety producing- and I had home and work responsibilities - until my wife gave me a 3-day School at Laguna Seca. After that I was hooked!! After the initial school and another advanced 3-day school, I always felt safe and in control on the track and on the street. ( frankly I feel safer on the track than on the street - too many uncontrolled factors in the wild). Do it that way and you may discover a new part of life with cars and yourself.
This is really, really well said and great advice. I've been thinking about Skip Barber for sometime now. I just did a 1 day M Driving School at BMW. I did okay with that. I was using cars that weren't mine. That helped. Although I did feel pretty beat up afterward. It's just not fun. I figure why do it if I don't enjoy it.

Now taking my car on a windy back road and hitting redline a few times is like heaven to me.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Money - I'm with you. I'm a GT3 poser, love driving on the back roads, rev to 9K on occasion. Thought of myself as a decent driver until my buddy who is a professional race car driver really showed me how it's done.

I've been to the track and all I can think about is spinning out and crashing my 150K weekend car. I'm good with either borrowing/renting a track car, no nerves and nightmares about destroying it. Love my GT3 for what I use it for and not for the track.

BTW - your thread is awesome.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think most of the stress is that I love my car too much. I'm just wound so tightly that I get myself all worked up and just don't respond well to any sort of lack of control.

This is really, really well said and great advice. I've been thinking about Skip Barber for sometime now. I just did a 1 day M Driving School at BMW. I did okay with that. I was using cars that weren't mine. That helped. Although I did feel pretty beat up afterward. It's just not fun. I figure why do it if I don't enjoy it.

Now taking my car on a windy back road and hitting redline a few times is like heaven to me.
All of the things you enjoy doing and how you do them make you a perfect racecar driver. Running a car on the track is all about preparation in yourself and your car, knowing how to find the "right" race line and controlling the car to generate that race line lap after lap - repetition, under control. That is the science of the track experience. Now, for our artistic side there is the art for racecar driving as well - how does it feel and the finesse of applying your scientific side with your artistic side. Mix all of that up with the engaging experience of trying something each lap that is different in racing line to make the transitions smoother, faster and more efficient and you have the perfect cocktail for addiction to the track. Not to mention the sensory overload of the whole experience. BUT first you have to satisfy that inner "control freak" self and gain the confidence and comfort you need to get to the next step. Take some well disciplined, controlled and instructed track schools and I would be surprised if you don't get bitten by the bug.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about it but was too preoccupied with the bar.
I don't know how you're coping, particularly considering your well-documented OCD, but it's killing me knowing that there is debris under your seats, and you could have removed it but didn't!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mostly do pca and PBOC.

Drivers briefing too lengthy? ;-) or?
Haha, those meetings are way too long in my opinion as while. They pretty much have it memorized as a script, its the same thing every time.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pvr
I don't know how you're coping, particularly considering your well-documented OCD, but it's killing me knowing that there is debris under your seats, and you could have removed it but didn't!!!
What I didn't show were the photos of me retaking the seats out when I got home to vacuum the carpet.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3

+1
Ether way, car control school will give you a new lease on driving. I did mine several years ago and it gave me a whole new appreciation and pleasure for driving.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

another option is to do some autocrossing. it'll give you a chance to push the car pretty hard in a very safe environment. once you have a feeling for what the car feels like before & during a slide it should give you some more confidence when you are on a track and doing it at a greater speed
Old 04-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

I've been to BMW M Performance Driving School and taken delivery at the Performance center of my two M3's. I also did a Chin Event at Sebring. Autocross doesn't interest me all that much. I think the next thing I'll do will be Skip Barber or Porsche Driving Experience. Right now, all I can think about it the amazing trip to the NC mountains next month!

Quick Reply: Money2536's Sapphire Blue 991 GT3 Journal