Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 611 Posts

I had an interesting day at Thunderhill. It was with NCRC, and was not a good experience overall - oversold group with few noobs and many spec miatas in open passing group. Nothing dangerous, but no chance of a clean lap - I literally had NONE laps where I would not pass a car, and only 3-4 laps where passes would not interfere with pace much.

But that's not the most interesting part. The interesting thing is that I put new tires and changed alignment (-3 front and -2.5 rear now). The tires are PSC2 N-spec front and K-spec rear. Those who know what I'm talking about are probably thinking - increase camber at the front and put lower-grip tires in the rear. Yes, I'm a bit of an idiot... I just do not care enough to think these things through sometimes.

The familiar full-throttle T7 all of the sudden became a major oversteer event, impossible on full throttle at least first lap or two of every session, and would require very delicate inputs. In other places of the track, I can pretty much do a doughnut at will by just adding more steering input :-). The car still grips and does not really snap too much, but at the limit it would almost always start rotating - sometimes abruptly, sometimes gradually. I kind of like it, but I kept stability control on for all sessions that day (I was planning to run with only TC on but quickly changed my mind).

Here is a video of the second session of the day. I managed 1:55.7 on my best lap, and that was with one pass and with Dan (white car in front of me) slowing me down in the very beginning and end of the fast lap. Dan was a great rabbit though - excellent driving. I could not keep up with his high-aero + slicks set up in turns, but caught up on straights. Taking into account the pass (required me to take a wrong line into T9), Dan slowing me down a bit on front straight and my lift in T7 (should not happen), and cocked-up T6 entry, I can see low 1:54 even with my skill level. Just need to clean up the mistakes (and have a fast rabbit in front of me to give me courage :-)).

Not sure what to do with my car set up now. Maybe will firm up front roll bar to reduce oversteer. As Orthojoe noted before, mixing K and N spec tires is not a good idea.

Oh, and I fixed sound now.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Excellent write-up! What did you do for your "sound fix"??

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I had an interesting day at Thunderhill. It was with NCRC, and was not a good experience overall - oversold group with few noobs and many spec miatas in open passing group. Nothing dangerous, but no chance of a clean lap - I literally had NONE laps where I would not pass a car, and only 3-4 laps where passes would not interfere with pace much.

But that's not the most interesting part. The interesting thing is that I put new tires and changed alignment (-3 front and -2.5 rear now). The tires are PSC2 N-spec front and K-spec rear. Those who know what I'm talking about are probably thinking - increase camber at the front and put lower-grip tires in the rear. Yes, I'm a bit of an idiot... I just do not care enough to think these things through sometimes.

The familiar full-throttle T7 all of the sudden became a major oversteer event, impossible on full throttle at least first lap or two of every session, and would require very delicate inputs. In other places of the track, I can pretty much do a doughnut at will by just adding more steering input :-). The car still grips and does not really snap too much, but at the limit it would almost always start rotating - sometimes abruptly, sometimes gradually. I kind of like it, but I kept stability control on for all sessions that day (I was planning to run with only TC on but quickly changed my mind).

Here is a video of the second session of the day. I managed 1:55.7 on my best lap, and that was with one pass and with Dan (white car in front of me) slowing me down in the very beginning and end of the fast lap. Dan was a great rabbit though - excellent driving. I could not keep up with his high-aero + slicks set up in turns, but caught up on straights. Taking into account the pass (required me to take a wrong line into T9), Dan slowing me down a bit on front straight and my lift in T7 (should not happen), and cocked-up T6 entry, I can see low 1:54 even with my skill level. Just need to clean up the mistakes (and have a fast rabbit in front of me to give me courage :-)).

Not sure what to do with my car set up now. Maybe will firm up front roll bar to reduce oversteer. As Orthojoe noted before, mixing K and N spec tires is not a good idea.

Thunderhill East, 991 GT3 - YouTube
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody noticed the gorgeous white wheels on the GMG exhaust video?
is it a plastidip job or painted?

it is stunning!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Excellent write-up! What did you do for your "sound fix"??
The sound fix was putting microphone outside, behind the license plate. Worked well.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice driving! Too bad there was so much traffic.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:36 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice driving...wicked sound on the video. I wanted to run out a drive my car just now...
Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 776 Posts

Thanks for posting Sounds awesome!!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:16 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that stock exhaust? Sounds amazing from outside. nice on the limit driving
Old 05-01-2015, 04:18 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice one! Is that a Rev2 SCHD? I just used mine for the 1st time last weekend and the sound is brutal. I tried it with an external mic and with no mic plugged in and it was really bad either way. I think there is something wrong with mine. Waiting to hear back from my dealer. Did you run the external mic cord out the window or through the engine compartment? And also, did you have to manually configure the gear selector? Mine isn’t working.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark. There is a new software revision that allows manual gain for the external mic. I uploaded it but have not experimented yet. I took the following video this week. Its not a reference lap by a long shot, conditions were changeable and damp. I left the audio gain on "auto" and thus got the "gain whine" at lower volumes/speeds. I believe the new software will allow me to tune that out so will have a play with it. I also use "spot metering" mode so the interior is dark to make the view better (it wasnt a particularly bright day). I have the external microphone set up and its mounted at the base of my half cage down near the rear seat pan. I will experiemnt with different metering options and manual gain next. I believe now at least we can remove the gain. The internal microphone is located behind the trap door which is sealed by an o ring and thus becomes useless when the door is shut. The external microphone is working pretty good for me. I have SW bypass and its switched on in the video. I think I can improve sound quality further with the new manual gain control but ran out of time to play with it...I will also move the camera slightly forward on the mount to crop up the view a bit although I enjoy seeing inside the cockpit. Interestingly on my ipad if I double tap the screen while its playing is crops it up really nicely so I dont find I need a narrower field of view for the camera really...

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Nice one! Is that a Rev2 SCHD? I just used mine for the 1st time last weekend and the sound is brutal. I tried it with an external mic and with no mic plugged in and it was really bad either way. I think there is something wrong with mine. Waiting to hear back from my dealer. Did you run the external mic cord out the window or through the engine compartment? And also, did you have to manually configure the gear selector? Mine isn’t working.
Yes, it's Smartycam HD 2. I'm not happy with image quality, still - GoPro is so much better. But instant on and instant data overlay is impossible to beat for me.

As for sound - I have an active mic (the one needing a battery) with wire going out of passenger's window and under the deck lid to place the mic under the rear license plate. Sounds nice but there is some clipping in lower frequencies (basically, it's too loud for the mic). I'm going to put some sound insulation around mic to reduce total sound pressure - it should make the sound more refined.

The way I have it set up on camera is microphone gain set to Auto. I did not try anything else.

I have stock exhaust - no mods.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree it's 720 HD and not up to scratch of cameras like gopro etc. however the arrive and drive simplicity the data overlays and the acceptable sound with external mic have me sold. I pop the SD card out mount it to my iPad upload to YouTube and on YouTube the quality looks basically as good as a 1080 GoPro file. To be honest I mostly show people my videos on YouTube so there is effectively little difference between my Sony, gopro or Aim videos when I watch them and everyone loves the overlays...
Old 05-02-2015, 02:43 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its incredible that you could keep up with an M3 that has an aero kit and SLICKS.
Pretty impressive mid corner speed.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:45 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the SC info, guys. I agree the lower video quality is a fair trade for the convenience of this this set-up. I think my camera’s sound issue is beyond a settings adjustment though. I tried it with my external mic (Audio Technica 3550) positioned in several places in the car and also several times with no mic connected and the sound is identical in all scenarios. Here is a quick vid to show you what it sounds like (set on “Auto Mic Gain”). Maybe I need to play with the manual gain?

Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like fun. That M3 was really hauling the mail!

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.