Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
Finally! Got to rev to redline! POV sunglasses cam - terrible audio.....

991 GT3 at 9k - YouTube
Nice, thank you.
You ran automatic or shift yourself, or just override sometimes.

What happens when you get out of it because the car brakes loose? Car downshifts? Does nothing?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nice, thank you.
You ran automatic or shift yourself, or just override sometimes.

What happens when you get out of it because the car brakes loose? Car downshifts? Does nothing?

What cam is that? Although the sound isnt so good the image is sharp?
I was in manual mode. I ran with ESC off and didn't experience any gearbox induced downshifts that I didn't control. I did run a few laps in automatic - it was actually pretty good about up/down shifting in the same areas I would have. I just preferred to be a bit more involved with the car. I was threshold braking in a few areas (i.e. after the long straight) but rarely got into ABS. I can't remember getting the traction control to kick in. I also ran the car on the skid pad and must say that it was very difficult to get the rear end loose, even when trying to induce oversteer (flicks, power-on) - I think the lower speeds of the skid pad, combined with the rear wheel drive steering seemed to counteract oversteer. I did get the back end to move in some faster sections, albeit very controllable.

I also found that running in the sport shock setting, the car was far more twitchy with the setup I was running (tended to oversteer more - especially in the two areas where the car "catches air", and the car seemed to also understeer and oversteer more frequently out of moderate speed corners (whereas in the stock shock setting, the car was much more settled)). The stock setting was certainly faster and more stable on this particular track set-up. I found the same thing to be true in my gen 2 RS. If I were to change anything on the car, I would change out shocks for 2-ways. I was running tire pressures around 33-35 hot (measured with tire pressure gauge and not the TPMS).

FWIW - I bought the sunglasses cam from Amazon -
Amazon.com : Inventio-HD Pro 1080P Video Sunglasses (1080p 30fps & 720p 60fps) : Sports And Action Video Cameras : Camera & Photo Amazon.com : Inventio-HD Pro 1080P Video Sunglasses (1080p 30fps & 720p 60fps) : Sports And Action Video Cameras : Camera & Photo

A few comments about them - bulky, had to wear a open face helmet, and I usually take out the lenses when using. I purchased them to have a better idea where my eyes were and if my head was turning while driving. For that purpose, they met my needs.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Great stuff thusly, thanks for that explanations. Love it

The glasses are pretty interesting. I always wear sunglasses and open face helmet.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Found the video on youtube. The guy can drive. Pretty good timing with a passenger and considerable amount of traffic. What a car!

http://youtu.be/lS1UfQFyi7Y

Last edited by karimgt3; 05-11-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Wow, thanks for posting that, its a beautiful lap. Very fast.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's Manu from Italy? If so he doesn't own the car just rented it I believe. It was only his second time out in it.,it's 100% factory from The RSR guys. He's an armature driver but one of the fastest at the Green Hell and a natural. He took it out first time last year and did a 7.32 with on car traffic and passenger so it looks like the track is very fast now in May probably a good time for a record 991 RS lap which I'm sure by now the factory have in the bag before the press launch next week. I've spoken to him last year about the car - at the time he felt it would be tough to get under 7.30 and he thought the factory time of 7.25 was a bit optimistic. However he lost at least 3s that lap with traffic and minus another 2 for the extra 100kg so it would seem he's probably capable of a 7.28 in the car which would support a lap by Timo around 7.25. He definitely was more "on it" this time, pushing harder. IMO he's a slightly better driver on the airing than vHorst at SportAuto. he currently owns a Speciale which he has set a PB if 7.26 IIRC. Raw talent...

Last edited by Macca; 05-12-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Driven in manual too with TC off. His best time (with traffic unfortunately) that day was a 7.31 - I know he will be itching to get sub 7.30 so keep your eyes peeled for another attempt in the next month or so...
Old 05-12-2015, 05:07 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
That's Manu from Italy? If so he doesn't own the car just rented it I believe. It was only his second time out in it.,it's 100% factory from The RSR guys. He's an armature driver but one of the fastest at the Green Hell and a natural. He took it out first time last year and did a 7.32 with on car traffic and passenger so it looks like the track is very fast now in May probably a good time for a record 991 RS lap which I'm sure by now the factory have in the bag before the press launch next week. I've spoken to him last year about the car - at the time he felt it would be tough to get under 7.30 and he thought the factory time of 7.25 was a bit optimistic. However he lost at least 3s that lap with traffic and minus another 2 for the extra 100kg so it would seem he's probably capable of a 7.28 in the car which would support a lap by Timo around 7.25. He definitely was more "on it" this time, pushing harder. IMO he's a slightly better driver on the airing than vHorst at SportAuto. he currently owns a Speciale which he has set a PB if 7.26 IIRC. Raw talent...
Hi Macca!

I dont think it's Manu behind the wheel, Manu is "Powerslide Lover" on youtube isn't it? http://youtu.be/fgjkR_KZMS8

Maybe with brand new tires aswell, the 7:25 may be achievable.

Karim
Old 05-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You could be right. The build, hight, wrist jewellery and country of origin all point to Manu as does they way he flicks the paddles which is his style cue. Over the years he has also posted videos under more than one youtube account. I think he also had an M3 after his 911 IIRC. However like you it did have me thinking. Possible its not him. Ill try and get in touch and find out. Tyre condition would make a difference I guess on a 10/10 lap like this. So could ambient air temp and track temp etc. Its a wonderful video to watch. Very brave man!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

powerslide dude wearing patek nautilus.....
either way, good driving. lol

Old 05-12-2015, 10:44 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
powerslide dude wearing patek nautilus.....
either way, good driving. lol

991 GT3 Nurburgring Following Sabine - YouTube
Impressive driving!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
I also ran the car on the skid pad and must say that it was very difficult to get the rear end loose, even when trying to induce oversteer (flicks, power-on) - I think the lower speeds of the skid pad, combined with the rear wheel drive steering seemed to counteract oversteer.
You need to use the hooligan two-pedal-pool clutch drop that AP demonstrated in the GT3 launch video back in 2013. It does work pretty much like real clutch, just in on/off mode, without opportunity to modulate, but can do clutch drops for oversteer or burnout (hypothetically speaking )
Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 AM
Stephen Ayers
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a chance to visit COTA for the first time last weekend. Awesome track!

Here is my best lap, 3:31.2. More time to be found next time!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
Had a chance to visit COTA for the first time last weekend. Awesome track!

Here is my best lap, 3:31.2. More time to be found next time!
I think you mean 2:31.2. Otherwise you wouldn't post the video.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 991 GT3 & 997 Cup

NNJR and Potomac Region at Mid Ohio.
If Mid Ohio doesn't start putting money back into their facility, once Pitt race opens up, they will lose a lot of organizations.

Driver of the Cup is a friend of mine who is crazy fast and a great driver.

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.