Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Thanks for the SC info, guys. I agree the lower video quality is a fair trade for the convenience of this this set-up. I think my camera’s sound issue is beyond a settings adjustment though. I tried it with my external mic (Audio Technica 3550) positioned in several places in the car and also several times with no mic connected and the sound is identical in all scenarios. Here is a quick vid to show you what it sounds like (set on “Auto Mic Gain”). Maybe I need to play with the manual gain?

WGI - Audio - YouTube
I have the same mic, so it should be ok. It sounds like the camera is still using internal microphone. It's easy to check. If it's still using internal, could be that external mic or the cable (either mic or camera) is damaged.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:31 AM
Arth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Canyon road driving

Old 05-03-2015, 12:22 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love how the young lady was so calm through it all. Nice roads.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:47 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arth
Not only is this dangerous and stupid driving, but with the aids off, which is even dumber, you endangered the lives of the passenger and other motorists.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,472 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Not only is this dangerous and stupid driving, but with the aids off, which is even dumber, you endangered the lives of the passenger and other motorists.
Power oversteer due to very aggressive throttle application numerous times in the video ...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Just did a complete data analysis of my last track day and basically it's 3 things in order of impact:

1. Brake much less. Can brake later or softer in almost every turn... I guess I'm not as brave as I like to think - up to 1.5 sec., maybe more with line adjustment.
2. Earlier on throttle in T1 and T6, and maybe T8 (but maybe not, if I stop overbraking) - up to 0.75 sec
3. No need to lift as much for turn in into T15 - up to 0.5 sec
4. Later apex in T4 and less lift for T5 - 0.2 sec

I'm not that strong with data analysis, but I think very low 1.52 or even 1.51 is possible through bypass. It may be crazy talk, because it's so much faster than I've seen any GT3s drive, but it seems plausible. In fact, I can get to low 1:53 by pasting my best execution of every turn together (connecting on straights, to avoid creating an impossible lap).
Old 05-03-2015, 11:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 776 Posts

Max, I maybe disagree with point 1.

Maybe I'm totally off base, but maybe it helps from this perspective;

Just go for throttle earlier and use more track=rolling more balanced speed through the corner, I don't think you will find time braking later/softer. You may even lose time, risk more or I wouldn't post this.

In a couple of places you could brake more by straight lining the entry like T2, but you might just as often upset the car on entry than gain time..

I can't judge apexes well enough because I don't know how the car feels.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just did a complete data analysis of my last track day and basically it's 3 things in order of impact:

1. Brake much less. Can brake later or softer in almost every turn... I guess I'm not as brave as I like to think - up to 1.5 sec., maybe more with line adjustment.
2. Earlier on throttle in T1 and T6, and maybe T8 (but maybe not, if I stop overbraking) - up to 0.75 sec
3. No need to lift as much for turn in into T15 - up to 0.5 sec
4. Later apex in T4 and less lift for T5 - 0.2 sec

I'm not that strong with data analysis, but I think very low 1.52 or even 1.51 is possible through bypass. It may be crazy talk, because it's so much faster than I've seen any GT3s drive, but it seems plausible. In fact, I can get to low 1:53 by pasting my best execution of every turn together (connecting on straights, to avoid creating an impossible lap).
Love to see you reach a 1:51 at Thunderhill East. Then I can toss my Cup car out the window!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:27 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nothing like a little competition to sharpen ones skilz
Old 05-04-2015, 02:31 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This car is amazing! My very first track training and I'm already 1.5 sec faster than my best time with 7.2TT last summer. Wow!!!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arth
Nice legs.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Max, I maybe disagree with point 1.

Maybe I'm totally off base, but maybe it helps from this perspective;

Just go for throttle earlier and use more track=rolling more balanced speed through the corner, I don't think you will find time braking later/softer. You may even lose time, risk more or I wouldn't post this.

In a couple of places you could brake more by straight lining the entry like T2, but you might just as often upset the car on entry than gain time..

I can't judge apexes well enough because I don't know how the car feels.
Here is my logic - for almost every corner of my 1:55 lap I could find one or more examples when I entered that corner 4-7MPH faster and excited 3-5MPH faster correspondingly. If it was just higher entry speed, with same or lower exit speed, I'd agree with you. But when lower entry speed results in lower exit speed, it's usually overbraking.

Another clue is that I can go to full throttle very quickly without unsettling the car or engaging nannies. Usually it's an indication that the car is below the limit of traction.

Re: straight-lining turn 2 - I found it to be faster, but more difficult for me to execute consistently. It something that Nik Romano showed me, but I have yet to get fully comfortable with.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
But when lower entry speed results in lower exit speed, it's usually overbraking.

Another clue is that I can go to full throttle very quickly without unsettling the car or engaging nannies. Usually it's an indication that the car is below the limit of traction.

Re: straight-lining turn 2 - I found it to be faster, but more difficult for me to execute consistently. It something that Nik Romano showed me, but I have yet to get fully comfortable with.
Its not the too low entry speed, Maybe you can go in a little faster but IMHO all your lost time is in going to throttle too late. And I just mean that the throttle pedal needs to keep going down. I'm not talking about how quickly you are at full throttle.
But I can also see that all the traffic and less rear grips affects your driving, so kill of these rears and put good ones on.

T2, all the more reason to practice it.

Try it and report back, maybe i'm completely wrong and I don't know how these spaceships drive yet
Great to see a GT3 driven to the "Max"
Old 05-06-2015, 03:54 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 GT3

Finally! Got to rev to redline! POV sunglasses cam - terrible audio.....

Old 05-06-2015, 04:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
Finally! Got to rev to redline! POV sunglasses cam - terrible video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueo-...ature=youtu.be
What cam is that? Although the sound isnt so good the image is sharp?

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.