Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014 | 02:12 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
NOT the GT3, but I thought I'd share this video of pro racer Michael Krumm, driving the GT-R Nismo at the 'ring, because it offers excellent perspective as far as what goes through the mind of a pro driving at the edge, technical challenges of the 'ring, and the demands placed on a car (especially suspension). Note the stunning time of 7:08.7, about 16s faster than our beloved 991 GT3; kudos to Nissan for the engineering, even if this car isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Michael Krumm Attacks Nürburgring in a Nissan GT-R NISMO - YouTube
That 7:08 appears to be a full lap, not the more typical BtoG laps that are used as benchmarks. If so, this lap time is even more impressive! I believe the recent 918 benchmark time of sub 7 min was BtoG.
Old 10-06-2014 | 02:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I was under the impression the manufacturers too the track and did full laps. Im pretty sure the Manthey Customer day is like that (see 7.35 lap by amateur in jeans earlier in this thread). I may be mistaken but I would think it strange if PAG didnt hire the whole track for this attempt then they can have the interchange stage no problem?
Old 10-06-2014 | 02:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbirch
That 7:08 appears to be a full lap, not the more typical BtoG laps that are used as benchmarks. If so, this lap time is even more impressive! I believe the recent 918 benchmark time of sub 7 min was BtoG.
If you watch this vid of the 918 doing the 6:57 you'll see that it's a full lap and the start/finish line is the same as for the Nismo.

Old 10-06-2014 | 02:32 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you watch this vid of the 918 doing the 6:57 you'll see that it's a full lap and the start/finish line is the same as for the Nismo.

NEW Porsche 918 Spyder onboard Nurburgring 6' 57" record lap - YouTube
Wow, makes you want a 918 after that ride...of course a man needs to know his financial limitations...
Old 10-06-2014 | 04:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The below is from Philgv our Swiss correspondence who now have many 1000s faultless kms of European track work in his 991 GT3 and is a very handy man at the wheel! Fastest out of 50!

Phil has been posting in the Stop Sale thread so I have reposed here for him...

And voilà... here is Monza Saturday. The event was organised by Porsche Switzerland and Italy with all GT3 owner, about 50 cars. As always flawless organization and lots of free time. Here is the last session of the day and my best time at the end and also the best of all 50 cars...we had laptimer installed...
I still had the Trofeo R and are still ok, amazing the way the keep. Actually, I did speak with one of the official Porsche instructor, I will not named him, but he said the following. The Michelin are faster in performance at the beginning but after few laps their performance goes down faster. For the Pirelli, they take longer to perform but more consistent and progressive. He prefers the Pirelli. After 4 tracks, I will need to change my front rotor and also the pads. Otherwise all good, no issues at all.

Again amazing car and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijhO...QfJQiuzt5_4TWA

Also thanks to Martin, he had also installed an AIM Smarty Cam and you can see me at 2mn21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8dG4...zubMtS_IiYSyP8
Old 10-06-2014 | 10:39 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca

That was fun to watch and LISTEN TO. Those poor brakes.
Old 10-06-2014 | 11:11 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
That was fun to watch and LISTEN TO. Those poor brakes.
Yes, a fun video. Dropping anchor into those 2nd gear chicanes after good length straights was brutal.
Old 10-06-2014 | 12:26 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

WOW!!! Incredible car. And the guy, Marc Lieb, can drive it with seemingly ease at that pace.

One thing I did notice......Was he looking to just snap his neck if he crashed?? Appears to be strapped into those buckets nicely, so at least his organs could be donated, but notice his head bobbing all around, and he isn't wearing a HNR device?!?!?!?!? Makes it easier for the emergency doctor to know the cause of death I guess (of course that's all sarcasm, but there is a serious side to the banter).
Old 10-06-2014 | 05:35 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
The below is from Philgv our Swiss correspondence who now have many 1000s faultless kms of European track work in his 991 GT3 and is a very handy man at the wheel! Fastest out of 50!

Phil has been posting in the Stop Sale thread so I have reposed here for him...

And voilà... here is Monza Saturday. The event was organised by Porsche Switzerland and Italy with all GT3 owner, about 50 cars. As always flawless organization and lots of free time. Here is the last session of the day and my best time at the end and also the best of all 50 cars...we had laptimer installed...
I still had the Trofeo R and are still ok, amazing the way the keep. Actually, I did speak with one of the official Porsche instructor, I will not named him, but he said the following. The Michelin are faster in performance at the beginning but after few laps their performance goes down faster. For the Pirelli, they take longer to perform but more consistent and progressive. He prefers the Pirelli. After 4 tracks, I will need to change my front rotor and also the pads. Otherwise all good, no issues at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijhO...QfJQiuzt5_4TWA

Also thanks to Martin, he had also installed an AIM Smarty Cam and you can see me at 2mn21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8dG4...zubMtS_IiYSyP8
That was fun....is he driving auto PdK? I could not detect any downshifts initiated by the paddles...Doesn't seem fair A car can shift itself like that, especially the rev matched downshifts under braking.
Old 10-06-2014 | 05:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting everyone!!
Really appreciate the video's and posted lap times.
I know Mosport and 1.32-1.34 is fast, did not go much faster in 3.8RS.

So.. Automatic seems quickest unless you want to prevent it from early downshifting and you want to run a gear higher in the rain?

Not boring, I can see it makes you feel like Ricky F1 racer, but it just looks a bit uneventful..

How are the brake pads wearing? Tapering? Anyone run PFC yet?
Everyone still running the OEM tires? If not, what do you run?

Anyone left foot braking, is a little overlap possible or it cuts ignition immediately?
Old 10-07-2014 | 02:05 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Looking at those two videos carefully, neither of the two quoted lap times appears to correspond to a physically complete lap.

The GTR timer starts running at 24 sec into the video, just as the GTR passes the concrete wall to the right of the screen. The lap timer stops at 7:33 into the video, just as the car approaches the 4th light pole ahead of the concrete wall. It takes the GTR 4-5 sec to cover the gap between the 4th light pole and the concrete wall under full throttle at the beginning of the video, so the stated lap time of 7:08.697 appears to be missing about 4-5 sec of a physically complete lap.

Something similar is evident in the 918 video. In the Porsche video, the 918 passes the concrete wall at 58 sec into the video. The official lap time is 6:57, which corresponds to 7:55 into the video if you start the clock at 58 sec. At 7:55, the 918 is coming up to the 5th light pole ahead of the wall, which represents a very similar missing segment of track, 4-5 sec.

So I can only conclude from these two videos that the standard for declaring an official “full lap” of the Ring excludes about 4-5 sec of actual, physical track distance. If that’s the standard that everybody uses, no problem. But in any case, you are correct that the 918 time was not BtoG lap time, which excludes another 22 sec off a complete physical lap, using the GTR video for reference.
Old 10-07-2014 | 02:19 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Automatic almost seems like cheating...lol like driving a grand turismo simulator in auto.
Old 10-07-2014 | 02:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

At that pace Im pretty sure he wasnt thinking about how he was missing a manual shifter - he seems busy enough see-sawig the wheels in order to constantly balance the car between over and under steer maximising the slip angle and contact patch of those front tyres. I confess that it seems very calm and quiet in there. My 993 would be gowning and creaking doing a 8.30 min lap! It corners very flat and the massive torque everywhere is noticeable in how quickly it picks up its skirt after the tight stuff...
Old 10-07-2014 | 03:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbirch
Looking at those two videos carefully, neither of the two quoted lap times appears to correspond to a physically complete lap.

The GTR timer starts running at 24 sec into the video, just as the GTR passes the concrete wall to the right of the screen. The lap timer stops at 7:33 into the video, just as the car approaches the 4th light pole ahead of the concrete wall. It takes the GTR 4-5 sec to cover the gap between the 4th light pole and the concrete wall under full throttle at the beginning of the video, so the stated lap time of 7:08.697 appears to be missing about 4-5 sec of a physically complete lap.

Something similar is evident in the 918 video. In the Porsche video, the 918 passes the concrete wall at 58 sec into the video. The official lap time is 6:57, which corresponds to 7:55 into the video if you start the clock at 58 sec. At 7:55, the 918 is coming up to the 5th light pole ahead of the wall, which represents a very similar missing segment of track, 4-5 sec.

So I can only conclude from these two videos that the standard for declaring an official “full lap” of the Ring excludes about 4-5 sec of actual, physical track distance. If that’s the standard that everybody uses, no problem. But in any case, you are correct that the 918 time was not BtoG lap time, which excludes another 22 sec off a complete physical lap, using the GTR video for reference.
It is strange. It looks to me that the timing begins and ends at the same point of the track for both cars given what you can see on the screen, but the clock timing appears slightly skewed. Maybe there's a flaw of some kind in the video timer, as though the video was run at a slightly slower speed than the actual timed runs. Some sort of video compression artifact?
Old 10-07-2014 | 03:52 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

It is strange. It looks to me that the timing begins and ends at the same point of the track for both cars given what you can see on the screen, but the clock timing appears slightly skewed. Maybe there's a flaw of some kind in the video timer, as though the video was run at a slightly slower speed than the actual timed runs. Some sort of video compression artifact?
Look again at the GTR video, which has an embedded lap timer. The lap timer starts when the car passes the concrete wall and it stops when the car is 4 light poles ahead of the concrete wall. Clearly two different points on the track. Furthermore, the difference in video time between those two points is exactly equal to the indicated lap time (to within the +/- 1 sec resolution of the video timer), which establishes that the video timer and lap timer are not skewed relative to each other.

Using those same two start and stop points in the Porsche video (which has no lap timer, only video time), you get 6:57 almost exactly. So it appears that both Nismo and Porsche are using consistent start and stop points, but those two points exclude a small portion of the track that represents about 4-5 sec of lap time. So both companies are probably following an established standard that so happens to be just short of a complete physical lap. Make sense?

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.