Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Max, Sam, Meteor. Great data points and feedback.

Traditional methods to reduce over-steer include less rear tire pressure, rear roll bar stiffness, change rear camber, reduce front grip (firm front sway bars, more front tire pressure etc).

Its very difficult to understand exactly what combination you need to address until you have similarly worn tires on the front and rear as these may be significantly affecting rear grip.

I took the car on two track days last week and would concur the ideal hot temps for the tyres are 29-30F and 30-32 R. Above or below these and grip suffers.

I did not experience any brake fade or softness in the pedal between sessions but I concur that its a wise investment to change to SFR or similar. Ill be doing this at the one year service point. I have steel brake lines on the 993 and didnt notice a huge change with swapping to these so will likely leave the factory ones in place for a while yet.

The 991 GT3 wears front pads and tyres faster than rear. After 6000 road km and 500 track km my front pads are at 50% life left and rears have 60% life left. I found that interesting but seems to be common when checking notes with others in USA, UK and Europe.

I have Endless MX72 (street/track) compound on the 993 and Im very impressed with these. They dont squeal either. There is a more aggressive ME20 & ME22 compound which is even more suited to the track. I have ordered a set to be manufactured for the 991 GT3 and these will arrive before Xmas and be put on the car when the factory fronts get to 20%.

For oil consumption its my observation that running regularly between 7500-9000 rpm creates the usage. My new engine now have over 3000km on it and for road usage consumption has dropped to almost nothing. However on a dry warm track day Im still using 300-400 ml for a day session. I believe this will fall further over time (a few folk on Pistonheads have over 6000 miles on the car and one guy has 12000 miles already and they concur). Smoke on start up is very infrequent now. My first engine started feeling much better after 3000 km so I think it takes some time to bed everything in...

Last edited by Macca; 09-22-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Why are your fronts replaced and your rears not? Is the car wearing more front than rear? That's nutty. How do they cord.

Try to get the tires to wear even with pressure and camber, than make the car work to your liking with sway bars. I'm sure the pro's do it different and its all back asswards but my goal is to make tires last.
I replaced fronts because one had blow-out at Laguna Seca and the other had nail in it.

I share your approach to tires. I want to minimize the cost of this hobby, and lap times are secondary. I definitely need more camber at the rear to optimize tire wear. At the front, -2.7 is wearing evenly so far.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

Aha, got it.
Mess with setup with new tires all around, pay for some track support for a weekend if you are lazy like me and keep messing with the setup till you like it.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought I'd post Philgva's latest track video here...

Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does that lap time compare to some other comparable street cars?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
How does that lap time compare to some other comparable street cars?
I have not driven there, but a google search told me it's 0.9 seconds slower than The Stig in F 458 Italia :-). Not bad at all.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another of Phil's videos going up against a Ferrari Speciale...

Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Went to Texas World Speedway this weekend with a DE (Driver's Edge) and Jason Hart was there as well (hanging with his wife and some friends). My very first time to TWS and by golly, I wish I went there before, lovely track. Car was incredibly well balanced. I kept the rear sway bar at the firmest setting but tightened the front a notch (now in the middle). With that, there was no high speed over steer, thank goodness as this is a fast track. Predictable understeer in one corner only (I think turn 2) but otherwise, the car was awesome. I messed up turn one yesterday (scary turn, as those who know the track are aware) and went straight into the greens, loosing the splitter (again). Went to retrieve it later but it was in two pieces. Still good enough to clip back on.
Today, with much needed discipline, did much better. My best time was 1:56:xx, and there is more on the table for later. Jason Hart's time, with me in the car, an astounding 1:51:xx He was pleasantly shocked at how phenomenal this car is.
Can those who know this track comment on the 1:51:xx time (with a 240lb passenger)?
On a side topic, heard rumors today that another track may get built neer TWS, which closes next May.
That is some very good times for the first time there sir. Very nice..
My best times at TWS is the high 1:53's in my 996 GT3. Could maybe go faster but that is all I want to risk to be honest.

I am looking forward to taking delivery of the 991 GT3. Hopefully I get a chance to try TWS before she closes.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Phil's 991 GT3 did very well against the Ferrari Speciale. Phil has some driving skill, that's for sure, looks like the Ferrari driver has decent skill as well. It always amazes me how efficient Porsches are with what power they have. The Ferrari really didn't pull that much on him down the straights(bendy straights).

I can't wait!!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Nice! I’m taking my car to COTA Nov 15/16 – you should see if you can get in (Chin Motorsports event).

I just got back from 2 days @ Mosport. Car was brilliant. No understeer at all at this track (as Dan39 found as well). The car is extremely well-suited to a fast track like Mosport. Brake upgrades & fresh tires worked really well.

Only issue was I had a bit too much castor for the loads at this track so my FR tire started eating through the wheel liner and I had to cut today short.

Aside from that, most fun I’ve had in the car to date.
Will see you there. I will be there in my 996 GT3, along with a few other rennlisters sharing a garage. Will look for you. Would love to hear how the car does at COTA.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Here's another of Phil's videos going up against a Ferrari Speciale...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ghFCaQssREU
Impressive driving and interesting that the car had ESC/TC engaged (apparently in one of the exits from the esses.) Great fun to watch the Speciale driver(s) get muscled (?) out of the way of the humble GT3.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:32 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the very nice, controlled driving however if there was a way to demonstrate the benefits of RWS a very fast track like Imola might be it. I'm beginning to understand why Porsche justified the added weight for this feature. This GT3 appears to have no noticeable slip angle at any speed on the vid. His exit speeds are tremendous. I don't see how the upcoming RS can have a faster time w/o RWS on a track like the Nord or just about any race track for that matter.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Arth
Racer

Here is short Video of the First Track day of the season with Porsche Club UAE from a weird perspective

camera moves constantly which I kind like.

passenger was friend of mine recording with a Gopro.

event was super fun as always with over 100 porsches

Hope you enjoy
Old 09-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Sweet, night time track event!!! Thanks for posting, looks like an awesome track.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 AM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by Arth
Here is short Video of the First Track day of the season with Porsche Club UAE from a weird perspective

camera moves constantly which I kind like.

passenger was friend of mine recording with a Gopro.

event was super fun as always with over 100 porsches

991 GT3 on the Track , high speeds VS Porsches - YouTube

Hope you enjoy
Some nice driving there,looks like a lot of fun. Ive not tracked mine yet so was wondering if:

Any advantage for keeping the dampers on firm settings on track? I dont notice a lot on the street

Also what were your oil/water temps on the track?

thx

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.