Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Nice--updated the avatar, I see.
Been waiting a long time to update that!!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and have tons of fun!!!
Mine is on the home too. The wait gets longer as the date gets closer
Got no mail nails to chew on....
Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

Sorry, in advance, and do not want to high jack my own thread; but I have a question about this Opti-coat/Cquartz application. I have been reading up on this and very interested in the Cquartz but - do you apply these coatings before you Xpel or after and on top of the Xpel. I am going to call Xpel Customer Service and get their input but wondering if any one has any experience/knowledge. This is some very interesting technology.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Sorry, in advance, and do not want to high jack my own thread; but I have a question about this Opti-coat/Cquartz application. I have been reading up on this and very interested in the Cquartz but - do you apply these coatings before you Xpel or after and on top of the Xpel. I am going to call Xpel Customer Service and get their input but wondering if any one has any experience/knowledge. This is some very interesting technology.
I know that OptiCoat Pro can be applied before clear bra AND on too of clear bra also. I believe CQuartz is similar, but am not sure.

Modesta is a different story--it resists things from sticking to it. So those going for Modesta and clear bra usually do Modesta on NON covered areas, then do the clear bra, then do OptiCoat Pro or CQuartz on top of the film if desired.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I would be very interested in what X-Pel tells you about this. The shop that did the clear bra on my 2014 Turbo S Coupe applied the X-Pel film directly and only applied C-Quartz Finest to the areas not covered by the X-Pel film.

On my M5, a different shop in April applied Opti-Coat Pro to the entire car and then applied the X-Pel clear bra. Each shop was adamant that their method was the only way to go. I haven't had any issues with either clear bra so far.

I am planning on using the shop that did the M5 for coating and bra for the new GT3.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Right off their web site:

"Will Opticoat or cQuartz hurt the film?"

Sealants such as Opticoat and cQuartz will not hurt the film or interfere with our Ultimate paint protection film's self healing properties.

"Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?"

We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Right off their web site:

"Will Opticoat or cQuartz hurt the film?"

Sealants such as Opticoat and cQuartz will not hurt the film or interfere with our Ultimate paint protection film's self healing properties.

"Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?"

We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could.
Thanks, Jimmy. I will point this out to my detailer.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

I did read some where yesterday that applying these coatings over the films will help prohibit yellowing ect.. So it does make sense. I am still going to call their Customer support line because a lot of this info changes and they forget to update their site- will report back
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Thanks, Jimmy. I will point this out to my detailer.
+1 on this.

Thanks, Jim. I'll mention this to mine as well and see what he says.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:41 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone knows good clearbtra/opticoat installer around Gold country?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Okay - last I will comment in this. Spoke with Eric at Xpel. He emphatically said put the clear bra on first and then put Cquartz or Opti Coat over it. I am sure detailers have had there own successes but these guys at Xpel are good. Plus- if you want your warranty to stand I think I will follow what they outline
Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Okay - last I will comment in this. Spoke with Eric at Xpel. He emphatically said put the clear bra on first and then put Cquartz or Opti Coat over it. I am sure detailers have had there own successes but these guys at Xpel are good. Plus- if you want your warranty to stand I think I will follow what they outline
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My baby is here too!! just got off the truck. I got to rev it a little. Delivery saturday after PDI, Xpel. Saw a stunning 918 there at the same time. Pics to follow
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fadi1
My baby is here too!! just got off the truck. I got to rev it a little. Delivery saturday after PDI, Xpel. Saw a stunning 918 there at the same time. Pics to follow
Congrats!

Wow. Am I one of the only port guys left in the cold? Ugh.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Mine still not at dealer. Have already spoken with their tint guy and clear bra installer. All on same page. I will be on business travel next week so they all know what I need done.

The tint guy was speaking about this Crystalline tint that kind of gives you a reflection. Very good at keeping heat out but it only come at 40%. I opted not for this because not the look I am looking for. Just told him give me 35% 3M film and I will be fine. He tried to push me to 20% but I do not want it too dark and I do not need any trouble with getting pulled over

Quick Reply: Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port