Sponsored by:

Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Yes. I cannot stress it enough--the detailer is the KEY. The easy part is narrowing the coatings down to 3 choices: Modesta, OptiCoat Pro, CQuartzFinest.

But the hard part is finding the right detailer. The paint correction and application by a true professional is what sets going this route apart from standard periodic detailing.

Do you have a guy you like in Los Angeles/ O.C. ?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Yes. I cannot stress it enough--the detailer is the KEY. The easy part is narrowing the coatings down to 3 choices: Modesta, OptiCoat Pro, CQuartzFinest. But the hard part is finding the right detailer. The paint correction and application by a true professional is what sets going this route apart from standard periodic detailing.
So if you do this from new, zero miles, it's a much easier and cheaper job no?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Porsche put a protective coating on the paint?

If you do regular maintenance the paint will hold up just fine. Also, a clear bra does have its downside and after using them a couple of times and decided to save myself some money since its no big deal to get marks covered. People do not realize that clear bras do get nicked as well and it shows.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:28 PM
HB Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got off the phone with PCNA and they told me I could expect my GT3 as early as August 11th. Trying to get stuff lined up and was looking for a good clear bra installer in the Los Angeles area, preferably the South Bay. I'm looking to use X-Pel. I wasn't to happy with the clear bra application on my last 991. I also may look into Opti Coat or something along those lines, if someone could recommend a detailer that uses those coatings that would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to see examples and final results in person rather than compressed video on You-Tube. Thanks

Last edited by HB Driver; 08-05-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Do you guys have plastic wrap on your furniture?

I cannot believe....I better just shut up.
Yes, Nick. Of course we have plastic wrap on our furniture. It helps when we let the cows come inside when the weather in the North 40 is too hot or cold. I am also planning on putting plastic seat covers over the alcantara in the GT3.

Just kidding. I have had good experiences with clear bras, but I know of others who have not.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Do you have a guy you like in Los Angeles/ O.C. ? Thanks!
PM sent.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

I have done clear bras on more than a couple cars. I did contemplate hard whether to do it on my GT3 because I do not track and never had any issues. You can make the argument for or w/o. I did decide I am going to do it for a piece of mind but I am not going to go crazy and just front bumper, head lights, side
view mirrors and the turning lights in the front grill. Still deciding over front hood.

I do not know if I am sold over this opti coat stuff. I must do more investigation. Appears a little redundant with a clear bra and some one who takes real good care of their paint and you could screw it up because once it is on it is on for good.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
HB Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent.
Could you sent me the info also? Thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by HB Driver
Could you sent me the info also? Thanks!!!
PM sent!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:46 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks John & Tim. Good info. I sure could use the clear bra for my sofa. My German shepherds are ruining it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I have done clear bras on more than a couple cars. I did contemplate hard whether to do it on my GT3 because I do not track and never had any issues. You can make the argument for or w/o. I did decide I am going to do it for a piece of mind but I am not going to go crazy and just front bumper, head lights, side
view mirrors and the turning lights in the front grill. Still deciding over front hood.

I do not know if I am sold over this opti coat stuff. I must do more investigation. Appears a little redundant with a clear bra and some one who takes real good care of their paint and you could screw it up because once it is on it is on for good.
yea, but can you imagine a black or dark car which stays clean more than a few minutes, and doesn't require some kind of black magic $1000 detail job to keep it looking nice... sounds like the holy grail to me, especially if those videos i'm seeing are representative of reality
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guy's, Don't want to re read this whole thread but, am VERY interested in finding out first hand info on the paint condition of cars, when delivered to dealers, which were held several months in port and how much paint correction was required BEFORE you took delivery. I saw one recently that looked pretty bad and wondered if many are faced with this issue. Thanks, Allan
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by allans
Guy's, Don't want to re read this whole thread but, am VERY interested in finding out first hand info on the paint condition of cars, when delivered to dealers, which were held several months in port and how much paint correction was required BEFORE you took delivery. I saw one recently that looked pretty bad and wondered if many are faced with this issue. Thanks, Allan
Ugh. Where was this car? Any idea which port?

Last edited by 0Q991; 08-05-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
My biggest concern is this ^ Not much can do except decline if its real bad. I will let you guys know.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by silverrules
My biggest concern is this ^ Not much can do except decline if its real bad. I will let you guys know.
Yeah. At the same time, if that car that allans saw was corrected at the dealer before he saw it, it very well may have been much worse by the correction. I've yet to come across a dealer whose detail shop was equal to true independent professionals.

I've asked my dealer to do nothing else other than peel the vinyl wrapping off and give the car a light wash. NO buffer and NO detail. I'll have my guy work on it after I take delivery.

Quick Reply: Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port