Sponsored by:

Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HB Driver
0Q991, yours should be right behind mine, being shipmates and all. I'm out of town on business and return home tonight. The first thing in the morning I'm headed to the dealer to inspect, I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks, HB. Really appreciate it and hoping for the best for your and all our cars.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Nick do you have your car yet?

Mine was dropped off yesterday in the early morning hours, and they are showing 5-6 days turnaround to get the engine done and shipped off.

Unfortunately I leave for Argentina 8/15 so I don't think I'll have my car in my possession before I leave.
No, I have not. I was told last week my car was release for transport to the dealer. My dealer is 15 miles from the port of San Diego and as of today the car has not arrived. I don't understand the delay. It may be on a truck touring Southern California.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Tim - I did some homework today and spoke with some professionals ect. I am going to go with Cquartz rather than Opti Coat. I am going to wait for the clear bra and have the paint restored and prepared and then Cquartz applied. A week later I will then have the clear bra installed. I have learned that although the Opti Coat has a 5 year warranty and by far is incredibly durable; it also leaves the paint's finish with a little sticky feeling. Cquartz has a 3 year warranty and may not be equally durable(still very good though), but has a better shine and leaves the car with a real wet , smooth finish. It is only $100 more. It is highly recommended more for garage queen cars. Opti Coat is recommended more for the car that will be headed for the rain, snow ect where durability is preferred over finish but by no means does it not have a good finish but Cquatz is better in that department. The people that I am talking with this is all they do. Basically it is more about the paint preparation than actually applying the protectant. Any one can do the application but if the car is not prepared properly all you did was coat over a car that will show even more it's defects. I am glad you all introduced this to me because after being at the port for 5 months I do not mind spending the $500-$600 not only bringing back the original finish but actually taking it to the next level. They even said that if you garage keep your car the application should last more than 3 years. All you need to do if you want is after washing car use this "Reload" spray and it is like a wax for the Cquartz and it will just enhance and extend the already applied application
Old 08-06-2014, 07:30 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Tim - I did some homework today and spoke with some professionals ect. I am going to go with Cquartz rather than Opti Coat. I am going to wait for the clear bra and have the paint restored and prepared and then Cquartz applied. A week later I will then have the clear bra installed. I have learned that although the Opti Coat has a 5 year warranty and by far is incredibly durable; it also leaves the paint's finish with a little sticky feeling. Cquartz has a 3 year warranty and may not be equally durable(still very good though), but has a better shine and leaves the car with a real wet , smooth finish. It is only $100 more. It is highly recommended more for garage queen cars. Opti Coat is recommended more for the car that will be headed for the rain, snow ect where durability is preferred over finish but by no means does it not have a good finish but Cquatz is better in that department. The people that I am talking with this is all they do. Basically it is more about the paint preparation than actually applying the protectant. Any one can do the application but if the car is not prepared properly all you did was coat over a car that will show even more it's defects. I am glad you all introduced this to me because after being at the port for 5 months I do not mind spending the $500-$600 not only bringing back the original finish but actually taking it to the next level. They even said that if you garage keep your car the application should last more than 3 years. All you need to do if you want is after washing car use this "Reload" spray and it is like a wax for the Cquartz and it will just enhance and extend the already applied application
Awesome info, thanks Jim!

Yep--also ask your detailer about the nature of the 991 Porsche paint and if that goes into his equation to recommend one coating over another.

I totally agree though--both coatings have their benefits and with slight differences, both ways are good options. BUT the hands down key is the right professional to paint correct and prep the surface.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

My dealer called me at 2:00 PM this afternoon to inform me my car had arrived at the dealership. We were in Austin at the time, just getting ready to head back to Houston. Of course, we went straight by the dealership to check the car out. They had removed the protective plastic but done nothing else to clean up the car (per my instructions).

There are several places where the adhesive from the plastic is still on the car, but other than being somewhat dusty, it looks fine. According to the dealer, it had been stored inside at the Port of Houston from February until it went to Atlanta for the engine swap.

I will do the paperwork tomorrow morning, then it's off to the detailer.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats John. So exciting. Happy for you.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfr0317
My dealer called me at 2:00 PM this afternoon to inform me my car had arrived at the dealership. We were in Austin at the time, just getting ready to head back to Houston. Of course, we went straight by the dealership to check the car out. They had removed the protective plastic but done nothing else to clean up the car (per my instructions). There are several places where the adhesive from the plastic is still on the car, but other than being somewhat dusty, it looks fine. According to the dealer, it had been stored inside at the Port of Houston from February until it went to Atlanta for the engine swap. I will do the paperwork tomorrow morning, then it's off to the detailer.
Woohoo!!! Congrats!!!

Are you allowing them to even do a "light wash?"
Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has been in SD CA since early March. It was released from Port and is going to my dealer in CA and they still have not gotten it yet…. The waiting continues.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Congrats John. So exciting. Happy for you.
Thanks very much! Hope you see yours soon!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Woohoo!!! Congrats!!!

Are you allowing them to even do a "light wash?"
Yes, a very light wash only - just enough to allow the dealer to confirm there are no scratches, gouges, etc.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PlanoGT3
Cat B here also - vehicle completion date of 1/28/14; arrived Houston 2/25/14; ARRIVED AT DEALERSHIP YESTERDAY!!!!!!
Awesome, did you take delivery yet?

Originally Posted by HB Driver
Just found out my car was deliver to the dealer last night. Still needs to go thought PDI. Hoping early next week.
Congrats!!

Originally Posted by frayed
Nick do you have your car yet?

Mine was dropped off yesterday in the early morning hours, and they are showing 5-6 days turnaround to get the engine done and shipped off.

Unfortunately I leave for Argentina 8/15 so I don't think I'll have my car in my possession before I leave.
Congrats. My previous offer to break it in for you still stands, for free.

Thanks, HB. Really appreciate it and hoping for the best for your and all our cars.
Getting closer, Tim, hang in there buddy.

Originally Posted by jfr0317
My dealer called me at 2:00 PM this afternoon to inform me my car had arrived at the dealership. We were in Austin at the time, just getting ready to head back to Houston. Of course, we went straight by the dealership to check the car out. They had removed the protective plastic but done nothing else to clean up the car (per my instructions).

There are several places where the adhesive from the plastic is still on the car, but other than being somewhat dusty, it looks fine. According to the dealer, it had been stored inside at the Port of Houston from February until it went to Atlanta for the engine swap.

I will do the paperwork tomorrow morning, then it's off to the detailer.
Congratulations.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Thanks, Sam!

I'm happy for all those getting their cars. Soon, this thread will be more photo heavy with pics of everyone's long awaited GT3s!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah. At the same time, if that car that allans saw was corrected at the dealer before he saw it, it very well may have been much worse by the correction. I've yet to come across a dealer whose detail shop was equal to true independent professionals.

I've asked my dealer to do nothing else other than peel the vinyl wrapping off and give the car a light wash. NO buffer and NO detail. I'll have my guy work on it after I take delivery.
The car I saw had not been touched, it was just off the truck. It will probably clean up fine.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by allans
The car I saw had not been touched, it was just off the truck. It will probably clean up fine.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 PM
PlanoGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Awesome, did you take delivery yet?

Congrats!!

Congrats. My previous offer to break it in for you still stands, for free.

Getting closer, Tim, hang in there buddy.

Congratulations.
It went through PDI without any issues yesterday and is having the clear bra installed today. Am scheduled to pick it up late tomorrow afternoon. Then probably back to the dealership on Monday or Tuesday for the SW bypass, GMG roll bar and carbon fiber seats - have to get her ready for the track!

Quick Reply: Cat. "B" folks with cars at Port