Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
rev-2 engine? so will these be dubbed "991.2 gt3"?
Mine most certainly will. ---Ahhhh.. Thx for the Sales tip.. Turning this in to a positive..
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I'm a little reluctant to join with the naysayers, it's hard not to. I originally rejected the "motorsports proven Mezger" argument because it's time to move on. The Mezger served well for many years, but so did the Offenhauser. I had complete faith in Porsche's design, engineering, manufacturing, quality control, and testing capabilities, and believed that they would produce a modern engine that was superior to anything that came before. This connecting rod problem will be resolved but it calls into question all of my previous assumptions and invites further questions about the new motor.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

FWIW,I believe Porsche engineers were pretty shocked to see a component in the bottom end failed. I think they weren't expecting that. Worse case,they were probably thinking there could be something going wrong with the top end,where the motorcycle style design has never been implemented in a road car AFAIK.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM
sidicks
Advanced

Originally Posted by neanicu
Let's assume Latebrake911 is right and those engines have never been revved past 5K.

The fact that they failed makes it worse if you think about it. If the rod bolts failed at 5K what would happen at a constant 8-9K on the track?
Plenty of the other 780 cars have seen a lot of track use and even those that have not have likely seen 8k rpm on a regular basis. None of these cars have had any problems.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmg57
While I'm a little reluctant to join with the naysayers, it's hard not to. I originally rejected the "motorsports proven Mezger" argument because it's time to move on. The Mezger served well for many years, but so did the Offenhauser. I had complete faith in Porsche's design, engineering, manufacturing, quality control, and testing capabilities, and believed that they would produce a modern engine that was superior to anything that came before. This connecting rod problem will be resolved but it calls into question all of my previous assumptions and invites further questions about the new motor.
I can empathize, but life is short and they HAVE to move forward. -- As long as they fix this and make the buyers whole the entire community benifit.. (whatever 'Whole' means.. ext warranty.. for sure... turbo cab for the wife & Personal Track day w/ w. rohl -- keep dreaming).
Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,316 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by sidicks
Plenty of the other 780 cars have seen a lot of track use and even those that have not have likely seen 8k rpm on a regular basis. None of these cars have had any problems.
What's your definition of "a lot"? I'd like to hear from multiple advanced drivers (within ~2 seconds of pros) who did 50+ track days with the car, not holding anything back. Did we hear from even one person meeting those requirements?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by sidicks
I know that. Porsche took a drastic precautionary measure. As frustrating as it turned out to be,they must have concluded it's the best course of action at this point...
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

No, and I have been looking for such a review with data/video..
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Agreed. And if you read general news articles, especially compared to GM, Toyota, Honda, etc., Porsche comes off smelling roses bc of the extraordinary measures. Not in all articles, but certainly a good number.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Well. Since your getting a new engine anyways.. If your crazy ( ok. i mean too cool for school).. and they have a fire truck on site.. .. Time to take it to the track and drive the nutz out of it.
Maybe Macca can do this and report back.. LOL..

--just be sure and opt in for the 'track day insurance package' .. H Haaa
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
What's your definition of "a lot"? I'd like to hear from multiple advanced drivers (within ~2 seconds of pros) who did 50+ track days with the car, not holding anything back. Did we hear from even one person meeting those requirements?
That's going to take a while, especially with the "Stop Sale".... Although it would not be a substitute for the real world testing you suggest, it would certainly look a lot better if the engine were to run in a factory motorsports car.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 AM
outline
Racer

Originally Posted by neanicu
FWIW,I believe Porsche engineers were pretty shocked to see a component in the bottom end failed. I think they weren't expecting that. Worse case,they were probably thinking there could be something going wrong with the top end,where the motorcycle style design has never been implemented in a road car AFAIK.
I wonder if they were more or less shocked than the last time they tried rod design in the high performance engine sector and it lunched engines?
Atleast then they had an old design they could quietly return to that time.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Due respect, and not to single out your post, but I'm sure all of us with 991 GT3's in our garages, at dealers, or on the docks enjoy getting advice from those who don't about what we should do with our cars. Or maybe it's just me. I doubt I'd otherwise be able to make a big financial decision like that all on my own.

I'm not sure what motivates y'all to come here and be so generous with your suggestions but I certainly do appreciate them. In fact, I've read those suggestions so many times now that I've committed them to memory and there's really no need for anyone to waste their valuable time repeating them, again. To keep it going though, maybe someone could start their own thread on the subject (the 997 forum would be a great place for it) and people could +1 each other about it to their heart's content. Sorry, don't mean to be rude and offer unsolicited advice.

Yeah, that was kind of snarky....it's late, I'm tired.....oh well, I'll just have to regret it tomorrow.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Like Pete Stout, I haven't read all of the 3000 posts in this thread.. but why is it that droves of people - who have already explicitly said they have no interest in 991 GT3, won't be buying one, can't afford one, have canceled their order, etc., etc., - continue to post in the 991 GT3 forum over and over and over again bitching and moaning at how the new GT3 is an utter POS and Porsche is the anti-christ??

Look, you don't like the 991 GT3 - we get it. You hate Porsche - we get it. You (many and you know who you are..) have said so dozens and hundreds of times already. Give it a fvcking rest, man... and let the current owners and those who actually want to buy one discuss it out.

You hate Porsche and how they've treated you or how they handled things in the past. Fine, then sell your 997 GT3 and buy something else instead of bitching online all day in the 991 GT3 forum. Sell your Porsche and move onto something else... please. Ferrari, Vette, Z28, Aston, whatever (who cares)...

I'm sure many of you will come up with various excuses. I'll need a replacement in the future; no, we're voicing our displeasure where Porsche is headed; I'm genuinely curious and concerned about the actual facts and wish nothing but the best for everyone who has or ordered one; blah blah blah. If you have no interest in the 991 GT3, shut up and let it be unless you've got something positive or constructive to add. You hate Porsche? Good! Sell, buy something else, and STHU!! It got old last year.

For the record, I don't have a skin in this game. I don't own a 991 GT3 nor do I have one on order. I monitor the forum because it's an exciting time with a new GT3 launch (which hasn't gone well so far) and because everyone who's ever driven it has said it's ****ing awesome. TBH, I'd much rather have a 997 GT3 (even my pick-up truck is a manual!!!) but all the raving reviews about 991 GT3 have me intrigued. So I stand back and observe. You don't like it? Then stick to 996/997 GT3 forums instead of bitching all day, everyday, on the 991 GT3 forum. Quite simple, really.

Last edited by the_vetman; 03-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
Seems like a distant Memory.. driving this thing - Was so fun starting it and driving out of garage!!!.. Did I actually have the car. . Wow, wtf..

-Finally found super Dealer in Chi.. said they would store inside and keep a good eye in it. Can't wait to get it back. I hope MFCA and the guys are right about the Depreciation. Have any GT3's ever taken a dive.. NO.. Hope @Silver and the boys can get their cars inside somewhere during the wait! I suspect they can just ship to the dealers and store on the Showroom floor w/ a battery charter (LOL) while they build the engines.

(You'll be back. .I Know!!)
Thanks my friend. I know PASHA in SD has indoor facility but I have yet to get a clear answer on sitting inside or out. Whenever I ask the dealer they joke about it. Customer agent does not know either. I wonder if one of the guys close by can swing by SD port and find out if the cars are sitting outside? Kudo's to you if you check!!!
Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Rennlist quoted on pistonheads

http://mobile.pistonheads.com/news/d...ign=newsletter

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?