Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't help but wonder how a rod bolt issue calls for a replacement engine.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
PDK4me
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting pretty tired of the doom and gloom depreciation speculations. Unless time demonstrates that the complete engine replacement proves to be a problem, based on actual events, and not perceived notions of what will happen, lack of warm fuzzes, or simply because "it got a new engine", the car will be and remain a very desirable car. Who knows, maybe this engine will turn out to be one of the best ever manufactured, given the scrutiny. Face it guys, we are investing in high performance, street legal cars. We're all too eager to boast about the 9k RPM and 100 millisecond PDK, but are not willing to deal with issues of first generation engines. Anyone see F1 this weekend? The 4 time Champion along with the race favorite sat it out because of reliability issues they are experiencing with new technology. So, if you don't want these issues, don't look for 9k rpm cars that shift faster than your next pessimistic thought can come to mind. I'm as unhappy as the next guy. My car has been sitting for over six weeks in Germany waiting to get shipped. I'm keeping my hand and calling the bet.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

^the labor involved tearing into motor > than engine swap. U still have to remove motor and put it back in if you're rebuilding. Motor swap is just take out old and put in new. Mike
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^the labor involved tearing into motor > than engine swap. U still have to remove motor and put it back in if you're rebuilding. Motor swap is just take out old and put in new. Mike
I do get that. I guess it's Porsche deciding that is the "best" way to fix. It's definitely not the cheapest way to do it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I can't help but wonder how a rod bolt issue calls for a replacement engine.
thats just Porsches way. Apparently they dont want the dealer tech to tear down an engine.

BTW isnt it a bit premature to talk about depreciation? I mean Im of the opinion that the 991 gt's will depreciate at a faster rate than the 997 gt's given the "increased bandwidth" of customers for the 991. However will these NEW type customers, really care or even know that engines has been replaced? Prob not. And i bet dealers will support the market.

Last edited by kosmo; 03-17-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by A432
Item #7 is the connecting rod bolt, there are 12 of them.
As to why they're loosening/failing is conjecture at this point.
Installation/Supplier/Design, who knows, and you might never really know, so wasted energy to stress over it imho.

some Loctite ought to do it
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
some Loctite ought to do it
Don't laugh, that may end up being the engineering solution being tested now
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

I was going to post my opinions, but Mike in CA already wrote everything that I've been thinking and he's a better writer than me. Thanks Mike.

- Alan
Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PDK4me
I'm getting pretty tired of the doom and gloom depreciation speculations. Unless time demonstrates that the complete engine replacement proves to be a problem, based on actual events, and not perceived notions of what will happen, lack of warm fuzzes, or simply because "it got a new engine", the car will be and remain a very desirable car. Who knows, maybe this engine will turn out to be one of the best ever manufactured, given the scrutiny. Face it guys, we are investing in high performance, street legal cars. We're all too eager to boast about the 9k RPM and 100 millisecond PDK, but are not willing to deal with issues of first generation engines. Anyone see F1 this weekend? The 4 time Champion along with the race favorite sat it out because of reliability issues they are experiencing with new technology. So, if you don't want these issues, don't look for 9k rpm cars that shift faster than your next pessimistic thought can come to mind. I'm as unhappy as the next guy. My car has been sitting for over six weeks in Germany waiting to get shipped. I'm keeping my hand and calling the bet.
Perfectly said. Exactly how I feel...I feel for the guys whose cars are sitting at port or at the dealer...at least mine is in my garage safe and sound and I can at least stare at it...frustrating, but I get to at least enjoy it as "garage art!" I took the opportunity/down time to have some better garage lighting installed!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Depreciation only matters if you are planning to turn the car over relatively quickly. If you're planning to keep it, it's largely irrelevant. In 10 years, no one will care that a decade earlier Porsche had a problem with a rod bolt fastener that got replaced, any more than they care that crappy timing chain tensioners caused engines to trash themselves on the early 911's.
Agreed - my 2011 Cayenne Turbo needed a new engine after 13k miles...traded it in on a 2013 with some options I always missed, and no issues/hit...was a great car, and had a brand new engine. All good! In fact, drove better with the new engine (we kept it for 3k more miles while we waited on the new car to come in)! It was a simple swap, done under warranty. I have no problem with what they have planned, as long as they can get it done in a timely manner. Fingers crossed. I do miss driving this GT3. Definitely tougher for guys like Mike and I who have spent time driving these cars. Hard to have a shiny new toy taken away from us!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 996 is not a good comparison at all. Look at the values of 996 turbos and they have the GT1 block and no IMS issues. That's why I bought one 4 years ago.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox
Don't laugh, that may end up being the engineering solution being tested now
this was spotted near Porsche AG.
Attached Images  
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I do get that. I guess it's Porsche deciding that is the "best" way to fix. It's definitely not the cheapest way to do it.
I really thinking swapping out the engines is cheaper than rebuilding.

Besides. Porsche has no choice. They do not have the manpower to rebuild all these engines at once.

They will be torn down, fixed, and be future replacement engines.
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

"I can't help but wonder how a rod bolt issue calls for a replacement engine."

Who really cares? Thank your lucky stars they are going to that crazy length. It's truly plug and play...

I would feel less happy if they were taking these perfectly good motors apart...

And if the new one fails after I beat the living snot out of it, I'll bring it back for another...where is the risk? For me, for the second, third owner...

In 5 years when its out of warranty, yeah I'm not worried about that.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Loctite has nothing to do with it. Rod bolts just take assembly grease so that the torque/tension ratio is within spec. The bolts elongate and the tension within the fastener keeps it from loosening.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?